June Patch!

Zyxpsilon

Question: Has anyone been able to get the XComGame.upk override working though the Steam Workshop yet? Putting the XComGame.upk (and uncompressed_size file) in both the Workshop mod directory's Scripts\ and CookedPCConsole\ folders doesn't work. I've tried recompiling a bunch of times, trying different changes to directory structure, nothing works. Is this "actually" working for anyone?

@Joshua,

Yes it opens up just fine overhere. PC-Context == Windows 7HP-64 bits.

I have yet to try re-compiling anything but i suppose it should work too.

@abeclancy,

If i had to guess.. this override trick must be triggered by a formal UC script transit file. How & what to use remains to be determined though.

@Abeclancy there is a bug in the xcomgame loading that requires a hotfix from Firaxis to work. It prevents loading a custom cooked xcomgame package from a mod folder.

As a workaround for testing locally you can copy the xcomgame.upk and size file into the game's cookedpcconsole folder (not the SDK folder, the game). Basically overwriting the base game version with yours. Back up the old one first! And doing so will obviously mean you can't run vanilla until you restore the original files, even if you untick your mod in the launcher.

@Abeclancy there is a bug in the xcomgame loading that requires a hotfix from Firaxis to work. It prevents loading a custom cooked xcomgame package from a mod folder.

As a workaround for testing locally you can copy the xcomgame.upk and size file into the game's cookedpcconsole folder (not the SDK folder, the game). Basically overwriting the base game version with yours. Back up the old one first! And doing so will obviously mean you can't run vanilla until you restore the original files, even if you untick your mod in the launcher.

Yeah, I mean, I know how to get it working normally, I've been doing that for some time, as have other modders who are taking advantage of XComGame.upk overrides. Kinda wrote the forum tutorial on it: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3868395-highlander-mods-modding-native-classes-and-core-packages-xcomgameupk-etc/

But when you say "there is a bug" do you mean a new bug as of the June 30th patch that renders their addition of this feature unusable? Or do you mean from day one, February 2016, that it never worked in the first place? Do you have some source on this, that the June 30th patch is bugged and doesn't work?

In their latest patch they said that you don't need to do this copy/overwrite process anymore, that it should "just work" from the mod directory instead:

Updates to allow Steam Workshop DLC to be enumerated before native script packages are loaded. Will allow mods that override XComGame.upk to work through Steam Workshop

So a little background on what's going on with the XComGame.upk replacement ...

The issue before this patch 6 was that there was code to access the Steam API dll residing inside XComGame.upk. And that access was needed in order to find the mods in order to load them. This is what made it impossible to load XComGame replacements from workshop mods -- Nexus-style mods reside in the game folder, and have worked pretty much since release.

Patch 6 moved the Steam API calls into the XCom2.exe, thus allowing the workshop mods to be loaded prior to XComGame.upk being loaded. However, there is currently a bug in the ported code which breaks the XComGame.upk replacement for both the workshop and Nexus-style mods XComGame replacements.

I've been in contact with Firaxis to help troubleshoot the issue, so they are aware of and working it.

Ahhh, that makes much more sense, and explains a couple of peculiar issues that seem to have been hinted at via various online discussions regarding certain mods not working. Hopefully Firaxis does a patch in a few days, instead of waiting for their next DLC release. If I'm not mistaken, Shen's Gift is the last of the "promised & scheduled" DLC, so maybe we'll see some faster turnarounds now. Guess for the time being, core mods just need to edit their installation instructions and continue on as normal.

Edit: Can confirm, XComGame/Mods doesn't work for overriding the XComGame.upk packages, even though it used to before the June 30th patch. Manually overwriting the XComGame/CookedPCConsole still works, so Nexus mods will just have to do this, just like the Workshop mods have had to do up until this point.

Edited by abeclancy

... I've been in contact with Firaxis to help troubleshoot the issue, so they are aware of and working it.

Well if you are in some "regular" contact with Firaxis staff.. could you please pass-on a weird request from/for me?!?

I'll be updating various SG graphic assets to my qUIck mod principles.

First thing i'd really like to get my dirty hands on is the class_spark (180x180) source file (be it TGA or ASVG). The in-game 64x64 is highly compressed while it looses resolution & details that require different filtering for my coloring steps.

Whatever else i can take of rather easily.

;)