I'm having a problem regarding the game startup

ak1657

So i got Oblivion on the steam sale and my friend recommended me to install a couple of performance enhancing mods (stutter remover, streamline ect). So i installed these mods and my game wouldn't start. So i did some research and tried moving a few files around and stuff. In the end i got frustrated so i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Problem is, I made a mistake involving the uninstall process, I deleted all the game files instead of clicking the UNINSTALL BUTTON, yes i'm stupid. So now if i try to go onto steam and install oblivion again it just says Play because it thinks i still have the game on my Laptop.

Help is much appreciated on how to fix this and also how to install mods without this happening again

You could use a mod manager such as Wrye Bash for installing mods. I have never used Streamline, so I have no idea how it works. But if you configure OSR the wrong way for your machine, that will cause some crashes. Did the game start without mods? And you did install OBSE?

Go to your Library -> right-click The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -> properties -> local files tab and there should be a button to verify your local game cache, it will download any missing and/or modified files. If you want to remove the game, there was a button somewhere to delete local game files or such, I cannot remember where at the moment, I am not at home.

Always start the vanilla game at least once before adding mods (this allows it to set itself up).

I suggest you run through the tutorial using just vanilla and make a save just before you exit the sewer (at the part where you see the sewer exit in the distance, befrore you get the character finalization dialogues). Exit the sewer and make another save (this will be your mod testing save). Run around in vanilla and check out your performance and adjust your game settings as required. Once you are satisfied with your setup start adding mods, one at at time, and test thoroughly in between.

When you run into problems it will be a trivial matter to figure out where to start troubleshooting.

Edited by Striker879