Weapon Retexture Question

I have a couple of machete mods, where I have writing on one side of the machete. But on the other side it's like the letters bled through the blade. So it looks like the letters are backwards while using it in the first person view. Is there any way to either make the words look correct on both sides of the blade or to just make one side not have any words? I don't see any part for the other side of the blade in the texture files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What you're seeing is a result of the way the 3D model is built, specifically the UV map. Basically that just means that the same texture is repeated on the other side of the blade, but backwards.

For the first person view, you can just flip your lettering around on the texture, and it will show up correctly in-game. It will still be backwards on the other side, however.

There's no way you can have it read the other way or be missing, just by messing with the texture. You'd have to change the way the model maps to the texture.

In this case you CAN fix it in nikskope without re-mapping the UVW unwrap in a 3D program because the reverse side is tiled and not overlapped.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that wouldn't work because it can only be changed to show one or the other, not both sides. But re-mapping the blade is very easy since it is not rigged anyway. Let me know which model you are using exactly and I can do it for you.

Edit: Edit: I think I remember that you can also rescale in the nifskope uv editor so if that's still the case then yes, you can do this in nikskope. Sorry, I'm at work so I can't verify that right now.

Remapping a tiled texture can be done in nifskope the same way that all posters and paintings work in the game. Texture > Edit UV and a new window will pop up with the UV mapping for the mesh.

http://i.imgur.com/eQxy6qR.jpg

Edited by DizzasterJuice

In this case you CAN fix it in nikskope without re-mapping the UVW unwrap in a 3D program because the reverse side is tiled and not overlapped.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that wouldn't work because it can only be changed to show one or the other, not both sides. But re-mapping the blade is very easy since it is not rigged anyway. Let me know which model you are using exactly and I can do it for you.

Edit: Edit: I think I remember that you can also rescale in the nifskope uv editor so if that's still the case then yes, you can do this in nikskope. Sorry, I'm at work so I can't verify that right now.

Remapping a tiled texture can be done in nifskope the same way that all posters and paintings work in the game. Texture > Edit UV and a new window will pop up with the UV mapping for the mesh.

http://i.imgur.com/eQxy6qR.jpg

Thank you! I'll try that out when I get the chance. I've never edited anything in NifSkope except for a file path. Something new to learn...

I could be wrong, but I think DizzasterJuice has posted a pic of the 3DS Max UV editor, not the one in NifSkope. Caveat Emptor.

Yes, I was showing that it is tiled and not overlapped. If it was tiled it could be done, but if it was overlapped it has to be remapped. I was at work at the time with no access to nifskope.

After I got home from work I checked it out and I can not find the texture editor on the pre-alpha nifskope for FO4. It seems a few of the functions are not available yet.

If you let me know which model you need I can do it for you and make a texture template while I'm at it.

I could be wrong, but I think DizzasterJuice has posted a pic of the 3DS Max UV editor, not the one in NifSkope. Caveat Emptor.

Yes, I was showing that it is tiled and not overlapped. If it was tiled it could be done, but if it was overlapped it has to be remapped. I was at work at the time with no access to nifskope.

After I got home from work I checked it out and I can not find the texture editor on the pre-alpha nifskope for FO4. It seems a few of the functions are not available yet.

If you let me know which model you need I can do it for you and make a texture template while I'm at it.

Oh wow! That is incredibly nice of you! Here are the two mods I would like to do it for:

1. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8911/?

2. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15576/?

I would love to be able to get the writing from left to right on both sides of the blade, but if that's not possible, I understand.

I do feel really bad to have you do this. I prefer to teach myself via YouTube etc, but only if you are bored/really want to, feel free :). I'll definitely be sure to give you the props on my mod pages.