im an idiot that cant figure out how to create a mod

furfur1974

hi. im an idiot and cant figure out how to create a mod. ive downloaded any "how to mod" walkthrough i can find including the wiki. ive tried to do everything i read word for word. ive even tried watching stuff on youtube. i really would like to learn this stuff. does anybody know anthying that might help or am i just a lost cause? all ive been able to do so far is add a couple plates to the empty count at the waynet inn. if anybody knows anything please let me know. im the kind of person that learns best with "hands on experience" if that helps.

I'd learn how to use blender, and a good skill in drawing and Photoshop would help, as mapping what you want to mod to Blender then NifSkope it would work. Knowing BSA script is essential, and I'd start with ConstructionKit provided with Bethesda and there is a walkthrough on how to use that, which would essentially get you started

The best source of info is the TES Construction Set wiki I learned by following the beginner's guide all the way through. Then there's a first quest tutorial which you can follow pretty exactly.

This will teach you how the CS works, but to make a mod you need to have a plan. What do you want to make, a quest? A home? Companions? First know that if you want to actually add a whole new item (like making the master sword for instance) you need other tools like Blender, Nifskope, etc. But you can do plenty with just the Construction Set as well.

Start simple too, make a chest in your favorite city, add some gold/weapons, save the .esp and try it out. Making houses is easy, but you need to create an interior space or they are just set peices. You can copy a similar house to make it easier, duplicate one and delete all but the walls, then fill it with your own stuff. Basically, spend more time trying it out, and less time trying to learn you get more of both that way. This was my mistake starting out at least.

As a novice Oblivion

modder myself I went down a slightly different route.

First step... Decide what you want to add to the game. Benirus Mansion was my first attempt at a mod, after doing the quest I found it too dark to be my player home.

Step 2..... @ Furfur1974 like your plate mod :biggrin: I used the tutorial's to add extra lights to the house.

Next came shifting the furniture and ditching the tatty mat in the hall. Mod finished..

A couple of days later and extra companions forced me to add extra bedding.

Getting a bit fed up with the single enchantment objects created in game, so back to the tutorials. To find out how to create, enchant and place unique objects into the game world. I made a medalion with 4 minor enchantments light, feather,detect life and water breathing. Ideal for treasure seeking.

At the moment I am tinkering with scripting and making special unique plants.

In conclusion the way I am learning is getting the skills as and when they are needed.

Yeah, player house is a good place to start. You learn about item placement, how to link interior/exteriors, difference between a furniture bed and static bed :D.

Another good tip is avoid the Imperial City for any mod you might want to release, (a tip I didn't follow, sorry) for obvious reasons. Makes it easier to find, but for anyone with a lot of mods IC gets pretty crowded.

Edit: I should say I'm getting interested in this stuff again, playing Skyrim, I'd be glad to help with advice or whatever if anyone would like more specific help :)

Edited by Palpenious

What I did, and, this is just me, but I started out just doing the "My First Dungeon" tutorial on the wiki, and then, started going from there.

I had wanted to make an enchanted sword, with fire, shock, and frost properties. Well, I found how to customize the sword.. How to do the enchantment? So looking at the list, I just found out how.

A good habit to get into is to never "Replace" an item when changing it's I.D., always make a new one. And since I can never find the .nif files or the .dds files, I just right click > edit > make changes > "OK" > Make New.

But that's just me, and even though I've done this for two years, I'm still super new.

Hope I've helped!

-OneTrueFoky