Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Have only tested the game with a friend, so I can't be sure if these things are included.

- be able to bash a locked chest

- deadlier traps

- allong with "dampening" the ambient lights, give the npc's a random chance to use torches or other lightsources., and actualy force the player to use a lightsource or be screwed.

-torches only last several hours

-drop lit torches when pulling a shield

-impliment a chance of faillure when crafting. Can't recall what game this was in but there when you mixed a potion with the wrong ingredients there was a chance that it would explode, damaging or even kiling the player; believe it was a M&M game from the '90.

-remove the regeneration of mana and health.

-combatmusic only starts when you've recieved or inflicted damage.

-make it possible to add notes to the map

Most of these things where done for Oblivion through mods, so I believe it can be done again for Skyrim. As for me, I'll wait another year before buying the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Things you could consider adding to your realism mod

1) Thing are no longer owned if the owner is dead

2) A hidden suspicion counter (separate for each city) that represent rumours and suspicion about you. Even if no one see you commit crimes, rumour would start if there is theft and murder when you are around (there is not that much traveller and strangers are often prime suspects of crimes in small community)

You gain point when

Someone see you sneaking

You enter in non friend houses late

You gain a bounty (in the city)

You steal things (even if not seen)

You murder people (even if not seen)

You lose point when

Time pass

you augment disposition of someone in the city

Effects

As your suspicion raise you gain a disposition malus with the people of the town / worst prices at shop

When you enter a shop/house the shopkeeper/owner goes in alert mode and follow you (only in the building)

When you enter the city guards goes in alert mode and if high enough follow you (only in the city)

3) Dynamic price and varying shop inventory (price of leather helm should drop when I sell the 30 I just created)

This sounds pretty cool. The need for sleep and food is needed for sure, also the darker caves and nights.

Only things I would look at are are the armour vs. spell idea you got. Sounds good but if your heavy steel armour heats up your gonna have to get that $h!t off. Leather on the other had disipates heat readily. just a little thing.

Also the archery concept is good but (being an avid archer myself) if anything long bows are smoother and quicker to draw than a compact tight short bow, but the long bows are more combersome...

I think this sums up everything missing from the game that isn't 18+ rated.

It's ridiculously ambitious to put this in a single mod however.

how about:

+ the ability too wash/heal your face. (being hit with a spell will make your face dirty, take to much damage and there's a chance you get scarred)

+ the ability to get drunk/high. (skooma, mead, wine and ale are the only drinks I can remember anyway)

+ animated sleeping.

Edited by cold12345

concerning the thieving and stealth aspect of the game, i would like to see much more awareness on part of NPCs that there is some stranger in their house, or that they saw someone sneaking and so on.

reaction to seeing someone sneak around in your home should be severe. seeing someone sneak on the street should also produce an "alarm" for nearby citizens and town guards. i hope that this can be accomplished by using same mechanic that already exists in the game for AI to hear sounds.

for example, if you shoot an arrow near a bandit, he will immediately go into an alarmed state, and start searching the perimeter for enemies.

Is it at all possible to setup same mechanic for normal citizens, shopkeepers, guards, but to react if they see someone sneak, or enter a locked house at night??

just thinking out loud

Added the following to the list:

Survival changes:

• you can get drunk and pass out
  • remove health regeneration / magicka regeneration to be tied in with "basic needs" (more tired you are, less magicka you have and slower it regenerates)
  • health can be restored only though magic, potions or other proper healing methods (sleeping or eating have no effect)

Stealth Overhaul

• remove stealth indicator
  • increase duration of alert mode after NPC's get attacked or have their buddies killed by a sneak attack
  • more stringent crime penalties; getting caught in people's homes should call in the guards unless the NPC is a friend, same-faction holds should "bleed" bounties (committing a crime in one Hold should also incur smaller bounties in adjacent friendly Holds)
  • people remember crimes longer
  • ?suspicion; sneaking around, committing crimes (even when undetected) and other anti-social activities lower the players reputation with that city, which incurs various penalties, such as raised prices in shops and inns, higher bounties for detected crimes etc. Decreases over time, or with socially acceptable activities, such as donating to local temples, handing out charity to beggars or buying rounds at the local inn

Environment Changes:

• droppable lit torches

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Edited by Mansh00ter

I like the ideas you're proposing, but realistically it's impossible to add all of that without breaking the game. I hope you condense it down the the more important and wanted features as you develop this.

As for a suggestion, perhaps blade sharpening and the need to repair your gear. Also the ability to craft leather patch kits in-case of emergency. You should also only be able to repair/sharpen your gear so many times before it becomes unusable, if this happens you should get the option to salvage your gear with a chance of retaining X amount of scrap steel/iron/ebony to smelt into a new bar.

I admit there are times when I wish I could lay out a tent and a camp fire in the forest to cook up the meat I've got without walking back to town. Or when I see a lake, I REALLY want to fish out of it.

OH FISHING, PLEASE.

Edited by Stereomastery

Looks excellent Manshooter and I wait with a lot of anticipation for this mod.Just don't spread it out to large or you will never finish.I wanna add some ideas to the mix.

It feels really good the amount of time a soul gem takes to fizz out on a magic weapon and I feel this is a good amount of time for weapon degredation and its just slightly dull so the next visit to a towns grinding stone wheel suffices.Portable stones are kool but immersion lacks when its a click on stone icon and voila....done! At least with the stone you get the animation effect.....just look at how kool the transport system feels when you jump into the back of a carriage....now why they didnt add you jumping out I will never know. :(

Here is what I am trying for right now in my modding attempt.I want to finally have a feel of fighting with a big burly Nord or a stealthy high agility Elf or Argonian etc.So I have been tweaking the "player.setav speedmult 100" in console and have found it gives just the effect I want.I put my big Nord at 75 and now he walks and looks like the terminator and when he jogs he looks like a big freaking mass of muscle.I put my Wood Elf at 105 and its a very different play feel where he looks like he runs thru the woods.Its very kool because as the animation slows down so does the dexterity/agility of the character,So my Nord at 75 is lumbering and while he can jump as high(so not ruining gameplay) his slow speed prevents him from jumping far distance(Don't know if this is game breaking yet as I have not stumbled upon an area where you need to jump over a distance to get ahead).Running thru the forests the Nord is slow and looks amazing when he pulls out his Great warhammer that itself is slow and lumbering.The Elf on the other hand runs thru the forest like a highly agile creature jumping from ledge to rock with ease and it feels great.Stumblin in that I can set my own speed in game BUT in order to add the realism I want I need to force the different races to differing speeds.Like nords slowest,imperial middle ground and beast types fastest.There is a console command to force speeds but I do not know if this is able to permanently change the game AI.Could you see if this is possible?

Gameplay wise I am trying to see if having this setup this way is detrimental.I thought that while I can run easily away from every swing of a great hammer by just waiting for the animation to take place and running away would ruin gameplay but this is realistic for outdoors and an agile fighting a tank confrontation.Go into caves or dungeons etc and its a different story.Another kool thing I am finding is that all the guards in game carry both melee and archery and so when you get to far away they pull out their bows.That adds a great sense of realism to me since I would carry a bow and melee weapon also.The tank Nord is a different story with archers taking a few more shots before you get to them.I only have iron armor right now and maybe better armor will negate an arrows punch which would make this system work a lot better.

Here are some tweaks I made to the skyrim.ini that you might like.Its a permanent FOV change that changes the game completely for me,meaning when I would forget to set it in console I did not get immersed into the world and when I added it back instant immersion.Then I changed the over the shoulder view to be centered and no change in zoom when weapon sheathed or not.Still havent found out how to tweak the sprinting look to be cohesive with my changes yet.Finally I added in the arrow drop from a mod that did just this.Just paste this into bottom if your skyrim.ini and its easily erased if you do not like.Make a backup first if your scared.;)

[Combat]

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.0

f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.0

[Display]

fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0

[Camera]

fOverShoulderCombatAddY=0.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosZ=20.0000

fOverShoulderCombatPosX=0.0000

fOverShoulderPosZ=25.0000

fOverShoulderPosX=0.0000