ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Two final notes:) :

I was thinking about that, but ultimately it just needlesly complicated the whole process. Besides, I just learned that there is no way to make the game clock advance (damn CK Wiki should make it clearer when something is not applicable in Papyrus) from the script.

Drunk levels: Sober, Tipsy, Drunk, Roaring Drunk, Pass Out

Pass out is just what it says - you pass out, screen goes black, and you sleep for 8 hours.

First: If it is impossible to make the game clock advance how will passing out function. If it can be done by forcing the character to sleep then in theory clock advancing can be done by simply forcing sleep.

Secondly and maybe a future implementation in TRO Basic Needs: There is a correlation between drinking alcohol and becoming dehydrated because of the inhibition of anti-diuretic hormone in the brain. Is there going to be an in game correlation? So if you drink more alcohol your thirst level would actually lower.

Currently if you drink an alcoholic beverage, you just quench your thirst and increase you inebriation by an amount, depending if it is a weak or a strong one. I may make this a bit more complex in future releases.

As for passing time - yep, that's a problem. Might need to wait for SKSE to make that function available - until then, getting to "passing out" stage currently just makes you extremely likely to fall over. If you drink another strong drink or two in that stage, you actually die from alcohol poisoning.

There is plenty of stuff that can be done to make things more complex, for example a burly warrior should be able to drink more alcohol than a frail, skinny mage, so I may in the future add a function that measures the player's stamina, and then determines how much of an effect drinking alcohol has. This would even take into account other states, for example if you are very hungry your stamina would be lower and thus alcohol drinks would have a stronger effect. But all that will wait for later versions.

Speaking of which, while doing the last round of playtesting, I discovered a rather nasty bug where it becomes possible to have infinite magicka (at least for concentration spells, they just never stop firing as long as you keep the button pressed). Obviously I can't release the mod in such a state, so I am postponing the release for tomorrow until I have time to look at this. Sorry for those who were waiting, these things happen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pinned it on the thirst penalty effect. Basically it is an ability with a negative (damage) modifier to the player's magicka, constant effect. Once the player enters the second thirst stage, it becomes possible to, on occasion just keep casting constant spells like flames or sparks indefinitely. The UI shows no magic being available to the player, the magic in the skills menu is at the appropriate level.

And the strangest thing is that the bug doesn't appear at the FIRST thirst stage, which uses the same effect, only slightly weaker modifier.

I checked the script thoroughly, and cannot find any logical fault. Very frustrating. The only explanation I can come up with is that the game has some sort of internal problem with negative constant stat modifiers applied to self via an ability. If I can't find the solution, I'll have to drop modifying base stats (health, magicka, stamina) entirely and come up with some other penalty.

Edited by Mansh00ter

Looks like its a game bug, people have been reporting it to happen when they equip and unequip items which modify their magicka stat, which is basically what the thirst effect does. It happens on the second stage because only then does the first stage effect get removed from the player - on the first stage everything works ok because the penalty has been applied only once.

I even tried swapping the effect for the vanilla vampire damage effect which does the same thing, and I can reproduce the bug 100% of time.

So I guess I'll remove magicka penalty from thirst effects and add something else. As far as I know this bug is limited to magicka and only works on concentration spells.

Ok, swapped penalties for sleep, hunger and thirst to affect regeneration rates only. In addition, to make the new system more complex, penalties now stack and each state of hunger, sleep or thirst now affects two stats, one primary and one secondary (secondary regen penalty is half the amount of primary one):

Hunger affects Health Regen (primary) and Stamina Regen (secondary)

Sleep affects Stamina Regen (primary) and Magicka Regen (secondary)

Thirst affects Magicka Regen (primary) and Health Regen (secondary)

So far it looks good and stable, no bugs. I'll test it a bit more though to make sure (also caught another bug which would kill the player within seconds of installing the mod on an already advanced game, which has been fixed).

Hunger affects Health Regen (primary) and Stamina Regen (secondary)

Sleep affects Stamina Regen (primary) and Magicka Regen (secondary)

Thirst affects Magicka Regen (primary) and Health Regen (secondary)

Hrm didn't you say many times that you were going to completely eliminate health regen? I refer to the original post:

•remove health regeneration / magicka regeneration to be tied in with "basic needs" (more tired you are, less magicka you have and slower it regenerates)

•health can be restored only though magic, potions or other proper healing methods (sleeping or eating have no effect)

Also does using a bed still heal you like it does in vanilla?

Personally I see health regen as an inbuilt god mode cheat. I currently use the console command to set it to 0.7 so it's gone.

Edited by Oomo