Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

I like this Winterhold magic idea. How about just tieing it to race? So remove initial spell only from nord/orc/khajiit etc "non magic friendly" races.

Speaking of racial abilities, would be a great idea to expand this over just initial spell and some kind of resistances. For example; orcs should have higher physical damage resistance, stamina, but slower, bulkier movement. Oh and real courage; its "funny" but at the same time disappointing to see an orc warlord fleeing from battle after he takes some beating from me. Where is their famous "unshakable courage in battle"?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like this idea of having to go to Winterhold to learn magic.

I like roleplaying and right now I'm trying a necromancer character. First thing I did upon starting was to adjust the factions relationships, and to lower combat and thief-related skills to like 2 or 3. Of course, being a necromancer, I'm rather friendly with other black mages, but I would not get into Winterhold where the mages are just a bunch of nice and friendly weaklings... Have you ever talked to Tolfdir? He sounds like grandpa! If anything, I'd go there in the College and reap through them with my minions and steal the Archmage robes then raising his corpse to make it fight for me...

The starting factors are super important when you roleplay, and I mean it: making it so that you have to go to Winterhold to learn some magic will just kill roleplaying. Giving different starting locations/conditions allows for different playthroughs.

Edited by Hoptic

ehm roleplaying in skyrim? the weakest part of the game is the unoriginal, lame, etc. queststructure and the ultraflat characters. what we need is a challenging yet entertaining combat modification which manages to stay balanced and interesting throughout the whole game. the roleplaying factor is so weak that increasing it is a lost cause, concentrate on the things the vanilla game concentrated on - action and a large scale world.

ehm roleplaying in skyrim? the weakest part of the game is the unoriginal, lame, etc. queststructure and the ultraflat characters. what we need is a challenging yet entertaining combat modification which manages to stay balanced and interesting throughout the whole game. the roleplaying factor is so weak that increasing it is a lost cause, concentrate on the things the vanilla game concentrated on - action and a large scale world.

Just because Bethesda decided to skimp on roleplaying features doesn't mean the game engine can't support them. For me, roleplaying primarily depends on the immersion factor. Hence the combat overhaul - shooting a bandit in the face with an arrow only to have him charge at you like an enraged zombie with a freaking arrow sticking out of his head just breaks immersion. Or firing a huge exploding ball of flame at a group of warriors only to see them pretty much shrug it off. Or hitting a robe-clad mage with a two handed axe for a grand total of pathetic. And so on.

The Combat Overhaul aims to completely sidestep the "leveling" structure of the game and offer a consistent experience throughout the game world. That means fighting your way out of Helgen starting dungeon will be just as dangerous as fighting in any other dungeon populated with hostile people with swords and giant spiders (well ok, you have help in the starting dungeon, but you'd be surprised how easily your little helper gets disabled now).

Of course it also presents a unique change... namely any human boss is now only human. Meaning you can kill them with a well placed shot. Sudden death is around every corner, since the same can happen to you. This means that some potentially epic fights can turn out to be comically short and brutal with this mod, posturing bosses beware. The only guaranteed epic fights (as in terribly difficult and prolonged duels) are with dragons. Whether this is received well will have to wait for the beta release.

I had an idea for sneaking. It has always upset me that if you shoot someone while in sneak mode after a while they just go back to doing normal things, completely disregarding the fact that someone just shot one of their companions. So it would be nice if the targets were more alert after a sneak attack, even if they didn't see the attacker they should still be more alert. Maybe they will start sending out patrols or take other precautions like not standing out in the open. After a few of their buddies had gotten attacked or killed from sneak attacks, some might abandon the area out of fear. It would make sneaking around a lot more interesting.

Another concept I have is for the relation between sneaking and using destruction magic. It doesn't make sense that shooting a fireball at someone while sneaking is less effective then using a bow and arrow. So my idea is to add a physiological factor to magic. If you hit someone with fire while sneaking they my run around and look for a water source to put out the flames. Magic could cause more confusion while other weapons cause physical damage.

Yielding is another concept that seemed to be under developed. I was disappointing that bandits would yield only to get up and fight a second later. It may be possible to take them prisoner, let them free, or just kill them.

My last idea is to add a fear factor when being approached by enemies. A group of bandits would be more inclined to attack a lone traveler who has only basic equipment. But if they see someone with a giant sword, wearing fancy armor with a companion that is equally scary then they might just let you go or possible even hide from the player. To counter the fear there could be a confidence factor as well. Those bandits might very well attack the person with giant sword whose wearing fancy armor if they have a bandit leader present to inspire them to do so.

Anyway, thanks for making this mod. It gives me a reason to play Skyrim more often. :thumbsup:

Edited by Patrick2me

Hi guys. I want to ask if there's any chance of seeing implemented a more realistic economic system. I can't stand the ease with which gold is accumulated, you could as well start to loot it from dead bunnies or fawns and the differences wouldn't even be so marked. I don't mean introducing a copper, silver etc. system with sub-units of the common gold coin, 'cause I think it would just complicate the game: what I mean is a price structure scaled on a more realistic way, in order to avoid being able to purchase enormous amounts of armor or weapons. I would suggest two points on which to concentrate:

1) more difficulty in acquiring money from quests or loot in general.

2) higher prices.

In Skyrim even the first Joe who passes by can have a greatsword or a waraxe, which is something unseen, since these weapons should be restricted to only one category of people: those who make of fighting their main way of sustenance, the same type of people on which Skyrim's story revolves around. The player should be stimulated this way in struggling for achieving the object or weapon he or she needs. Coupled with a more realistic weapon damage and inventory management system, this should help the player develop an emotional link with his favourite weapon or armor, making them truly her or his gear, and not simply a bunch of letters and pixels that can be sold to any merchant in any moment. Thanks.

Edited by Ulchishy

This is excellent. Sounds like you have a good idea of what realism enhancing things to include--and not to include. If my toon had to run for the privy after some bad food or see a healer after using the Animated Prostitution Mod a few too many times, it would be going too far :D When I finally get Skyrim (RL priorities make it impossible right now) after I've had a chance to check the vanilla game out, this will be on my list of mods.

Quote from Ulchishy: Hi guys. I want to ask if there's any chance of seeing implemented a more realistic economic system. I can't stand the ease with which gold is accumulated, you could as well start to loot it from dead bunnies or fawns and the differences wouldn't even be so marked. I don't mean introducing a copper, silver etc. system with sub-units of the common gold coin, 'cause I think it would just complicate the game: what I mean is a price structure scaled on a more realistic way, in order to avoid being able to purchase enormous amounts of armor or weapons. I would suggest two points on which to concentrate:

2) higher prices.

In Skyrim even the first Joe who passes by can have a greatsword or a waraxe, which is something unseen, since these weapons should be restricted to only one category of people: those who make of fighting their main way of sustenance, the same type of people on which Skyrim's story revolves around. The player should be stimulated this way in struggling for achieving the object or weapon he or she needs. Coupled with a more realistic weapon damage and inventory management system, this should help the player develop an emotional link with his favourite weapon or armor, making them truly her or his gear, and not simply a bunch of letters and pixels that can be sold to any merchant in any moment. Thanks.

Just quoting my own question in the hope of it being answered.

Quoting yourself within a 5 post limit is beyond meaningless.

If someone wants to answer they will, but it will get less likely if you abuse the quote function.

Quote from Ulchishy: Hi guys. I want to ask if there's any chance of seeing implemented a more realistic economic system. I can't stand the ease with which gold is accumulated, you could as well start to loot it from dead bunnies or fawns and the differences wouldn't even be so marked. I don't mean introducing a copper, silver etc. system with sub-units of the common gold coin, 'cause I think it would just complicate the game: what I mean is a price structure scaled on a more realistic way, in order to avoid being able to purchase enormous amounts of armor or weapons. I would suggest two points on which to concentrate:

2) higher prices.

Just quoting my own question in the hope of it being answered.