Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, seriously. I see it as a hidden side quest in which you track a secret and possibly sinister organization to only find out that it is the town watchmen that in secrecy meet in some basement and dance naked and in makeup to techno music. EPIC

I'll get on it right away!

That's what she said. :tongue:

In other news, it appears you'll have to make combat tweaks to the upcoming patch with horse combat as well.

Yeah, need to see how damage is handled. If the game uses the same system for mounted combat damage as for melee, then no changes will be necessary, aside from giving the attacker a mounted damage bonus (and perhaps defence, but not yet sure about that).

If the speed of the horse can be accessed (unlikely since Skyrim uses linear horse speed, but fingers crossed) I could even plug that into the damage formula. But most likely it's just going to be "if you're on a horse, you hit harder".

Of course... with the new damage system, it gets real easy to get your horse killed from under you. So watch out for archers.

If you are going for realism, you will need to take out dragons, magic, gods, the supernatural, and much of the alchemy system. You must convert all in game items to items that match completely in effect with those in real life.

Also, every time you are struck by a weapon upon this skin, give that an 8 week recovery time of sitting in a temple surrounded by crazies.

Good luck.

I have stated multiple times I am going for "fantasy realism". I like dragons and axe-wielding bandit chiefs. I just don't like it when it's easier to defeat the former than the latter. I also don't like how you can run around looking like a porcupine after a fight, or how people don't seem to mind having arrows lodged in their brains or being set on fire. Oh, how about bears killing dragons? Good thing the bears haven't decided to take over the world or we'd be in *real* trouble!

So yeah. There is fun, and there is just plain ridiculous. This mod aims to reduce the ridiculous factors in the game in favor of the fun ones. Simple as that.

Appologies if any of this has been covered but I could not bring myself to read through all 100 pages. Maybe at work if things get slow :D It looks like you are working on all the mods I wish were there and some I had not even thought of. I really love your basic needs mod, keep up the good work.

[*]?dodge mechanic for player and NPC's

Oblivion had this if your acrobatics were high enough. I think it was a double tap on the A or D keys and you would do a small side jump. I think something like that would be very doable but it should tire you out if you do it too much.

[*]?weapon and armor durability; bring back weapon and armor condition. Weapons to require periodic maintenance, using blacksmithing skill, actions and resources. As their condition deteriorates with use, so does their effectiveness. Items never break beyond repair.

[*]?weapon maintenance tools; portable, craftable tools for field maintenance, such as sharpening stones. Some gear will always require a proper forge to repair/maintain (such as armor/shields)

I agree this needs to be in but I hope you make it slow or adjustable. The way it was in oblivion was just too fast. It was not just a pain in the ass it was unrealistic in my opinion. If possible hammers and maces should require little or no maintenance.

[*]?suspicion; sneaking around, committing crimes (even when undetected) and other anti-social activities lower the players reputation with that city, which incurs various penalties, such as raised prices in shops and inns, higher bounties for detected crimes etc. Decreases over time, or with socially acceptable activities, such as donating to local temples, handing out charity to beggars or buying rounds at the local inn

Getting caught sneaking around should have consequences even if you haven't done anything else yet. Not so sure about "when undetected" though. If you are a master thief and very careful it should be reasonable to believe that people have no clue. If you do it right.

Any plans to change stolen flags? People should react if they see you take something that isn't yours but it is kind of stupid for an item to be marked as stolen when you took it a month ago in another city. How would anyone know it doesn't belong to you? If you rip someone off, pretty much only they should know that the stuff is theirs, or maybe their family. However showing up to a merchant with a "Santa's sack" full of silverware should spark suspicion. Many merchants are exceptionally greedy and will gladly take stolen goods if they think they wont get caught. Maybe put a limit on the amount items or gold value that a merchant will accept per day. If you want to be extra awesome, make speachcraft increase that amount, to simulate being a convincing liar. If he thinks its stolen but willing to risk it anyway then he should give less money for the goods too. A fence on the other hand should be more then happy to take everything you got without question. The line between upstanding merchant and fence should be blurred a little. Half the stuff in modern day pawn shops is probably stolen.

It always bothered me in Oblivion that spells like "charm" or "frenzy" worked just like any other firebolt spell - you basically hurl a bolt of "charm energy" and you can actually miss with it. Getting into the mind of your opponent is more about telepathically invading his mind than shooting him with a charmball. How about making charm-like spells very fast (instant-like) and invisible so you will get a feeling that you spell is not a projectile.