Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

TRO's own version of survival mods will come out as a separate module. As with other modules I will strive to follow the same design guidelines as with Basic Needs - simple, immersive, and effective. While I try to keep all the modules compatible with as many mods as possible, this way I can guarantee that all separate modules will work with each other to fully satisfy realism nuts in us all. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good.

What timescale is are most people using with this mod ?

when i had mine at default 20 food and drink were too much of an overriding need, changed timescale to 10 and set the needs counter at 50% ...over correction as now im never hungry.

I tested (and designed) the Basic Needs around the default timescale. Personally, I lower the need tick counter to 75% speed and leave the timescale at default, that produces a nice pace, at least for me. Edited by Mansh00ter

I have a suggestion (if feasible of course) that would add in my opinion a heightened sense of realism / immersion to the game / your mod.

Visible puffs of breath in cold environments.

.. Maybe only visible in first person mode (though seeing puffs of cold breath from the NPCs would be nice too). The clouds of cold vapor could change in frequency based on the character's exertion and spaced far enough apart as not to be distraction. This could be a visible clue as to how cold the environment is.

Edited by Claybourne

This sounds like the mod ill wait for before installing Skyrim again. Lots of great ideas, everything in the OP is on my want list.

It looks like you have more ideas than one person can handle already, but just for fun here are a couple suggestions on the economy:

Not sure how far you plan to get into the economy, but it would be neat to have suppliers in the game. They could be just like traveling merchants except that they have some impact on the goods available in certain areas. For example, traveling NPCs that carry different types of ore from mines to cities, hunters that carry supplies from forested areas to cities and perhaps thieves that carry random goods to the shady pawnbrokers at night. If the economy in a city is only strong enough to attract the suppliers of iron ore, then the smiths only offer iron weapons and probably dont have much to offer for your goods, unless you are offering them some type of ore they need. The suppliers of higher quality materials would be hard to come by, very well guarded on the road and only bother traveling to the cities with the best economies.

It would also be neat if you could find ways to make the changes in the economy of certain areas more noticeable. For example, some stores might close down until the economy picks up, the number of beggars might change in a city, the number and quality of guards might change, etc.

Anyway, good luck with this project!

Another question: Whats up with equipment degradation? Its the other feature among locational dmg and dismemberment which I'm really looking forward to (I know these latter ones are not possible). Can you simulate it somehow in Skyrim or it's not possible either?

Equipment degradation isn't possible right now. The problem is that there simply isn't an item stat which can be tracked - and you need to have such functionality already coded in the engine, trying to duplicate it via scripting would not only be pretty much impossible, but even if you did manage to do it, you would probably lag your system to hell.

Puffs of breath in cold environment - while I like the idea, I don't think it can be done via shaders. The "wet" shaders are just that - a texture and particle "overlay" using the whole mesh (in this case the actor body) as an emitter. Since there is no way to specify the exact spot on the mesh as well as angle of particle emission, then you can't do puffs of breath with that. I could make the whole body steam, but not just the breath. In fact, I am using that very system to create permanent burn/electrocution effects for magic victims, as well as dirt/blood staining after heavy fighting. It always bothered me that when you kill someone with what is essentially a magical equivalent of a flamethrower, their bodies remain pristine and intact, but again, it works because it is applied to the whole body.

As far as economy goes, I plan only to adjust the way loot is distributed as well as making prices/availability of certain items more logical. Right now I don't have plans on adding travelling merchants - while I love such mods and they add a lot to the feel of the game, making a living, breathing economy is enough work to warrant a standalone mod.