Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

This mod sounds amazing! Ever since I got into Minecraft I've been looking for a deeper survival challenge and this would be perfect.

This might have been mentioned already, didn't read the entire thread, but the one aspect I take exception to is the lack of healing when you sleep. The body does heal over time, albeit very slowly. A tiny increase in health after resting seems like the more realistic option to me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might have been mentioned already, didn't read the entire thread, but the one aspect I take exception to is the lack of healing when you sleep. The body does heal over time, albeit very slowly. A tiny increase in health after resting seems like the more realistic option to me.

The problem with any sort of health regen, or "Press T to wait one hour for full healing" is that it makes healing potions and healing spells worthless and not needed.

Also, if you catch an infection or a disease, your body will actually LOSE health over time until you cure it or die.

I do remember Jagged Alliance (one of the greatest games ever IMO but OT) in which a wound weakened a team-member and would at a certain degree even become worse. With too much blood lost your character would die, so you always had to bandage any wound asap. and needed a medic in your team. A character with a low "medical treatment ability" did even make the wound worse.

So regenerating/curing would only set in after a time with treated wounds, while resting.

Edited by PalleAssgaard

Health should naturally regenerate at a slow rate, based on what condition your body is in (well-fed, not sick), and what the environment is. Not all damage to you is deep gashes, some could just be bruising, shock, etc., and naturally you would be treating your wounds while you rest.

So for example, if you rest in the temperate fields near Whiterun, you heal say 10% per day naturally. Less if you are in a swampy area or snowy area. Maybe more in a city(you could go to the temple for in-patient treatment)? Restoration or some sort of medic skill could increase that rate as you treat yourself better.

So generally, healing potions/spells would be required for healing at a fast enough rate to actually get things done. But you wouldn't be completely screwed without those remedies, it would just be awkwardly slow.

Edited by Levgre

Regarding health regeneration and sleeping, I intend to split general state of your character to health and conditions. Health is going to represent the overall physical strength of your character, and will be damaged by enemy attacks, some sickness effects, poisons etc. and will NOT regenerate while sleeping (I may leave a small regen percentage to simulate the mentioned light bruising and such, but you will be better off just using a potion or magic for that).

In fact, going to sleep while, for example, poisoned or seriously ill, may lead to never waking up.

Health conditions will be various health effects that will not generally impact your health bar but may impact your character in more than one way. For example, getting hit by a fire spell may induce Serious Burns, which will have various effects, like preventing your from being able to sleep or a constant (small) chance of getting an infectious disease. Getting seriously wounded by melee attacks may produce various effects like broken limbs, concussions, etc.

Some of these effects will fade with time, and a good night's rest will help. Some again, will not and will have to be treated properly.

Keep in mind this is what I *intend* - until I see what can be done via scripting I can't guarantee all of the above, but that's what I plan on having. Skyrim unfortunately doesn't seem to have locational damage like Fallout, which would make things easier, but I surmise that if it was possible to script many of the above things in F:NV, it should be doable in Skyrim as well.

The biggest problem with immersion is that questing right now means following map markers from one location to the next. If you remove quest markers, there is no way to actually finish the quest because Skyrim usually won't save any location related information about quests. You can not choose between the lazy way of simply following the marker and the rpg way of listening to conversations, reading through your logs, asking guards for directions to finally find the location yourself. To change this, probably all quests will require reworking.

The biggest problem with immersion is that questing right now means following map markers from one location to the next. If you remove quest markers, there is no way to actually finish the quest because Skyrim usually won't save any location related information about quests. You can not choose between the lazy way of simply following the marker and the rpg way of listening to conversations, reading through your logs, asking guards for directions to finally find the location yourself. To change this, probably all quests will require reworking.

If you are at least given information as to the general location (which isn't even true some of the time :/) then you can always go old school and write location notes about quests on a piece of paper.

Edited by Levgre

What we should probably do while playing Skyrim is jot down more exact notes for all the quests that we do, then collate it all and get someone to edit the quest information with better directions.

Eventually maybe it could be added in as something NPCs tell you - an extra dialogue option called directions and then you choose somewhere to be directed to and a scribbled note with directions is added to your inventory. This would save having to add in voiced dialogue.

One way of working around this would be to adapt the existing "Clairvoyance" into something more immersive and vague, like an ability which makes a compass arrow point in the right direction, or perhaps, if possible, some sort of "tunnel vision" where the only clear point is in the direction of the quest objective. This would make it possible to get lost or take a wrong path etc.

The above, however, really depends on how hardcoded the spell system is in Skyrim.

Otherwise, yes, quest description would have to be updated for every quest in the game, which is no small task.

One way of working around this would be to adapt the existing "Clairvoyance" into something more immersive and vague, like an ability which makes a compass arrow point in the right direction, or perhaps, if possible, some sort of "tunnel vision" where the only clear point is in the direction of the quest objective. This would make it possible to get lost or take a wrong path etc.

The above, however, really depends on how hardcoded the spell system is in Skyrim.

Otherwise, yes, quest description would have to be updated for every quest in the game, which is no small task.

If it isn't possible to update the quest descriptions (I think it is, but it could take a while), would non-mage characters have to rely on said spell, too?