Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

The biggest problem with immersion is that questing right now means following map markers from one location to the next. If you remove quest markers, there is no way to actually finish the quest because Skyrim usually won't save any location related information about quests. You can not choose between the lazy way of simply following the marker and the rpg way of listening to conversations, reading through your logs, asking guards for directions to finally find the location yourself. To change this, probably all quests will require reworking.

One way of working around this would be to adapt the existing "Clairvoyance" into something more immersive and vague, like an ability which makes a compass arrow point in the right direction, or perhaps, if possible, some sort of "tunnel vision" where the only clear point is in the direction of the quest objective. This would make it possible to get lost or take a wrong path etc.

The above, however, really depends on how hardcoded the spell system is in Skyrim.

Otherwise, yes, quest description would have to be updated for every quest in the game, which is no small task.

If it isn't possible to update the quest descriptions (I think it is, but it could take a while), would non-mage characters have to rely on said spell, too?

Think of it more as an ability than a spell. There wouldn't be any glowy bits to it in any case, just a visual representation of your character getting their bearings. Clairvoyance is too specific and to magey to work for people who want their characters to be magic-free, so whatever I do I won't just make another spell (what would be the point).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind this is what I *intend* - until I see what can be done via scripting I can't guarantee all of the above, but that's what I plan on having. Skyrim unfortunately doesn't seem to have locational damage like Fallout, which would make things easier, but I surmise that if it was possible to script many of the above things in F:NV, it should be doable in Skyrim as well

There was a locational damage mod in Oblivion, so it should be possible

Even though I'm *far* too lazy to play a game like this, I think this idea is brilliant and you got my support ^^ I'm sure many people would love to try it and I too, maybe, one day would play this if the entire game-play fit this kind of thing better :) [the world would need to be fuller, I think, for me to enjoy such a slow pacing. And a romance mod present. C'mon >:D]

Anyway, thumbs up! Hope you/you guys manage to make it happen. great addition to modding scene.

It bothers me at how small Skyrim feels. It should take at least 5 irl days to travel across all of Skyrim. Maybe resize everything: cities, land, amount of farms/windmills/etc. So that it actually feels like you're traveling across Skyrim and not a tiny scale model of it? Edited by Freduardo2O

It bothers me at how small Skyrim feels. It should take at least 5 irl days to travel across all of Skyrim. Maybe resize everything: cities, land, amount of farms/windmills/etc. So that it actually feels like you're traveling across Skyrim and not a tiny scale model of it?

That's waaay out of the scope of this mod. Technically it's possible, it has been demoed for Oblivion, but it requires a LOT of work, in fact so much it would be enough for a major project just by itself.

How is it going at the moment? Have you started to develop anything without the Kit?

No, since half the things I'd like to do for the first release either can't be done without the CS, or require an inordinate amount of time to get right. Right now I am just outlining the work schedule, sorting out priorities and features and doing some research with what tools we have.

This sounds really interesting, I'd like for the game to be harder i.e. more health on mobs. I'm a casual gamer, and I was wondering if this was made would you include options to toggle on/off certain features? i.e Sneak Icon, health/mana/stam bars to be toggled on/off.

The compass thing wouldn't bother me too much as we have a map for reference.

Thanks and good luck on this project.

I just realized that Magic never levels up.

Which means, mages (who are extremely powerful at level 1 through 5, I'd say) become completely useless at high levels.

Destruction spells become super weak.

Illusion spells don't work at all after reaching a certain level, because foes have too high a level.

So you just conjure up Dremoras and let them do the fight.

I guess that, by rebalancing damage, you'd have gotten this right anyway. Just be careful not to forget non-damage spells like the illusion spells. :)

I personally went back to Oblivion + OOO.

Skyrim will have to wait for TRO to see me playing it again.

Edited by Hoptic