Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

50 pages and the main theme of immersion is not even touched :

an economic sys and a persistent world.

without it,all the rest is useless.

Yes and no. An economic system is nice if you are going to be taking advantage of buying and selling and moving about a lot. And a persistent world is good if players are actually paying attention to it. You have to get the players to do things and set up the context for them TO take notice.

A few examples.

If food, and drink, then he won't really care that the prices at one store are better than at another, when he's low on coin.

If sleep are not real elements, then a player doesn't have to consider how a lengthy delve into a cave or journey to another hold might be planned out. e.g. trying to find Inns, bringing along a portable bedroll, a bow and some arrows to hunt with, a cooking pot.

If you can carry 5 warhammers and 40x other things, then their economic value becomes moot when you're deciding what to take to sell.

If enemies are more deadly, and you have fatigue to consider, you might take more notice in the general lay of the land, what factions control what territories, how they like to fight and you'll be more conscientious of how you fight them.

As for my contribution, I think it would be nice if some of these player side changes (ie, fatigue, hunger, and thirst.) were to be somehow implemented on the AI side. It'd be neat to be sneaking into a cave, and noticing a bandit falling over as a result of a lack of sleep or sheer hunger. Might make for interesting new gameplay aspects.

Lots of bandits in a particular dungeon? if your stealth is good enough, sneak in and steal their food, come back in a couple of days, maybe some have passed out, maybe some have left in search of food. Just an idea.

Edited by IndigoPanda

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. An economic system is nice if you are going to be taking advantage of buying and selling and moving about a lot. And a persistent world is good if players are actually paying attention to it. You have to get the players to do things and set up the context for them TO take notice.

A few examples.

If food, and drink, then he won't really care that the prices at one store are better than at another, when he's low on coin.

If sleep are not real elements, then a player doesn't have to consider how a lengthy delve into a cave or journey to another hold might be planned out. e.g. trying to find Inns, bringing along a portable bedroll, a bow and some arrows to hunt with, a cooking pot.

If you can carry 5 warhammers and 40x other things, then their economic value becomes moot when you're deciding what to take to sell.

If enemies are more deadly, and you have fatigue to consider, you might take more notice in the general lay of the land, what factions control what territories, how they like to fight and you'll be more conscientious of how you fight them.

As for my contribution, I think it would be nice if some of these player side changes (ie, fatigue, hunger, and thirst.) were to be somehow implemented on the AI side. It'd be neat to be sneaking into a cave, and noticing a bandit falling over as a result of a lack of sleep or sheer hunger. Might make for interesting new gameplay aspects.

Lots of bandits in a particular dungeon? if your stealth is good enough, sneak in and steal their food, come back in a couple of days, maybe some have passed out, maybe some have left in search of food. Just an idea.

Maybe even add notes or diary entries that state that they're running out of, or going to leave and find more food?

Maybe even add notes or diary entries that state that they're running out of, or going to leave and find more food?

That would be a nice touch. Ofcourse this would be some pretty tough scripting.

A few things to consider.

-First establish a food supply, What they eat and how much of it there is overall. Which is ok since most of the places bandits inhabit have food set out that was just a cosmetic touch.

-Then deciding how much of the food they eat and at what intervals, so that they actually have to go and get food eventually with or without the players involvement. This would be good for players who aren't so much the sneaky types since they can just scope the place out and wait out the food supply. ie. Wait for the designated, Hunters/Grocery Shoppers/Farmers to leave, kill them before they bring food back, Wait out the rest of the bandits. (that could be a separate string, when one group is gone too long, another emerges.) so slowly but surely you'd kill everybody.

-Then there's a question of heirarchy, The bandit leader would be the priority food getter as well as deciding who leaves to get food.

-Then you have to set up a source for the food as well. Do they just rob random npcs or player characters, do they buy the food if so where does that money come from, do they farm, do they hunt. So on and so forth.

If somebody could script all these things out you'd have one hell of a mod, but I'm sure there are shortcuts that may be easier to script than having to outright get into every detail here.

Like setting up a timer related to certain containers, and when those containers are empty, after a certain amount of ingame time the actors spawned in that room suffer a stamina penalty.

So on and so forth I'm not a programmer so I don't know how this would all be done.

This is a great thread.

Though I believe that implementing all realism suggestions would render the game unplayable, all the ideas presented are really good.

Since there are already so many released mods that already address some of this suggestions (or are WIP), I believe it would be a great benefit for the community to link the ideas to mods that already address them.

That would make this thread an even more useful resource for users and modders, since this would avoid duplication or work and make balancing and merges easier to implement.

If help is needed to collect links I'm available to do it.

PS - I don't know if this has already been suggested but the thread already has 50 pages!!

EDIT – Spell check

Edited by almosthumane

Equipment

- Can only carry one weapon type at a time (e.g. you can only carry one sword on each side of your body and a two-handed sword/bow/staff strapped to your back). These will be visable on the char at all times, even if they're not active/selected. Other weapons can be strapped to a horse (a limited number, that is).

-Same goes for armor/clothing (the main idea being that you carry only what you can see, with the exeption of small items that can easily go into a knapsack etc. The rest of your inventory has to be put on your pack horse)

EDIT: I see that this has been suggested before, so just forget this post. :whistling:

Edited by saxojon2

Equipment

- Can only carry one weapon type at a time (e.g. you can only carry one sword on each side of your body and a two-handed sword/bow/staff strapped to your back). These will be visable on the char at all times, even if they're not active/selected. Other weapons can be strapped to a horse (a limited number, that is).

-Same goes for armor/clothing (the main idea being that you carry only what you can see, with the exeption of small items that can easily go into a knapsack etc. The rest of your inventory has to be put on your pack horse)

EDIT: I see that this has been suggested before, so just forget this post. :whistling:

I think a knapsack should be introduce ASAP. Carrying capacity is one of those big things that I find to be an immersion breaker. I saw a mod which I'll try to link later that was going to try and consider an items volume as well as its weight and try to figure out a formula for translating volume into carry weight value. Or maybe it was a suggestion in here and I completely forgot.

What would be nice, is also allowing a companion to buy a horse.

Equipment

I think default player encumbrance should be around 100 lbs. But a lot of the weights in this game are really off, so a mod like this mod.

It changes most of the items' weights in-game to make it more realistic. Try it out and see what I mean, It's kind of hard to explain.

But yes, I would like a knap sack or a horse knap sack.

Not everybody is immersed by the same things that immerse you.

Those things are nice but not necessary for immersion [in my opinion] and hardly even in the top 20 for "main theme of immersion"

Edited by Oomo

Since you mentioned horses...

You could maybe have diffrent levels of horses, where the better ones are more expensive?

Like the cheapest one, let's say for 1000g would be about the same speed or slower(!) than running and would have less health if attacked. Basically a packhorse for when you have too much heavy stuff.

And the most expensive one 10.000g(?) would be twice your running speed and have superhigh health.

Or something I dunno...