Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Some ideas for the mod that may add to existing ideas:

- Stealth and reaction; Play the Thief series for ideas, if you haven't already...

- Walking is no longer an all-day window shopping stroll through the mall, but a well-paced I-will-get-there-in-good-time walk that is a happy medium between the stroll and the jog.

- I want to be able to throw things at people who ask 'What are you looking at?' and get a brawl or aww:( reaction. This means YOU, EMBRY -.- (guy in the first town after Helgen) with a realistic penalty. If he gets hurt bad, a fine, if he gets killed, jail time, if he gets a little hurt, the ability to talk your way out of it.

- The ability to scavenge around the woods for sticks, sticks can be used as weapons or tools, to make campfires, to pick your teeth, to hold things and a bunch of other stuff!

- Fishing, and not just standing in the stream and catching jumping 'ingredients' like salmon; Rod and reel!

- It would be nice if the AI could recognise if you've been in a town for any length of time.

- Expressions. Bethesda... people have them, you can study all about them in books. It irks me to be told in a fantasticly angry voice, that someone is pissed at me, only to confront a face any professional poker player would cash in his face muscles to have.

- Hand gestures. People have those too. It's not common to see anyone holding their hands at their sides while talking or standing about.

- Player body: (first person) Just to affirm my existance is not portrayed as a floaty camera. I'd like to see my feet.

- Prettier clothes! The fine clothes are just plain ugly on the women. The Victorian ages have some nice examples of cool clothes.

- better werewolf and vampire dynamics. It makes no sense to get weaker from drinking blood. I hate being a badass were and getting female-dog slapped by a giant only to go summersaulting 500ft in the air. It defeats the whole mythos behind both mythical creatures.

- Dehydration visibly causes pain and consequence, headache and body ache and is cured quickly after consuming liquids. If left unattended for over a day and a half, you take health damage, and you visually suffer for that time. Any longer than 2 days and you die.

- Hunger after a full day of not eating visually causes dizziness, and makes you weaker and less able to concentrate. If the player does not eat for a a\few days, they become unable to carry anything. If they do not find food after that, they are barely able to move, then they die.

- Sleeplessness causes; after 1 days of no sleep or 2 days of minimal, a drunken visual, with occasional micro-sleeps. After 2 days of no sleep, 3 of minimal, you start to see 'shadows' from the corner of the eyes and cannot concentrate. After 4 days, you pass out or have blackouts during non-intensive moments. At 5 days of no or minimal sleep, you drop where you are, in a non-intensive moment and sleep for however long is needed.

- Sleeping makes hunger and thirst happen at a slower rate.

- Hang overs, passing out from drinking, racial tolerances for booze, technicolour yawns (vomitting from drinking for everyone else), the 'champion' stage...

- Sicknesses and diseases make you sick not reduce the 'numbers' of your green, blue or red bars (which never vary in length)

- Horses that don't do a wheeling turn and fall off high places only to die horribly, causing the player to faceplant awkwardly into the side of a mountain, when you try to reverse them off some stairs.

Hopefully some of these descriptions of effects (though not totally accurate) help. Who hasn't been hungover and had dehydration?

Good luck to anyone attempting to achieve this

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys ... :D i love you...

then..let me explain : first, economy is not that matter that talk about money...it have many branches (like games theory) like all reply said..some VARIABLES are more important then others...we must build an Economy based upon the Experience of playing skyrim.(

economy talks about NEEDS and how to SATISFY Them... so.. im talking about AI not a merchant game... NPC looking to satisfy needs or looking for luxury...(yes luxury or comfort must be a new need...for caviar,beauty and stufforrichpeople)

economy is important cause without it nothing have value... why i must continue playing after all quests?

and when im talking about a persistant world, i imagine a second char in the same world of first..with the same possibilities!!!

sorry guys

tonight i speak english like niko bellic,

My apologies in advance for the long post, but I was very intrigued when I came across this mod as I'm currently working on the exact same idea to be incorporated into the "Skyrim-Alagaesia Total Conversion" Mod I'm working with, obviously because of this there will be a few inside-references that can't be removed and still preserve coherency.

My ideas so far:

Taken from "The Energy System" -

"It's been stated in almost every thread on this forum at some point I believe, that we are scrapping/combining Mana and Stamina and replacing them with a much larger "Energy" pool, that will be one of the major changes and cornerstones of our mod.

The aim is that with the amount of Energy you begin the game with at 100%, the attribute will realistically demonstrate how far an exaggeratedly fit human with peak energy levels can be pushed before exhaustion sets in.

This "Energy" pool will act as both Mana and Stamina rather than a new function altogether, all strenuous activity will deplete the Energy bar, but in true Inheritance fashion any use of Magic will also deplete the pool; taking as much Energy as it would need to manually perform that task without magic.

Obviously we will be taking artistic license with how much Energy magicks consume, so that creating a fireball will not leave you unconscious for the next 24 hours, the player has been trained and would be used to casting quite a few spells in sequence without tiring too much.

Though the specific percentages haven't been figured out/agreed upon yet, you will regain Energy at a pace of... I don't know perhaps 1% each minute when walking or remaining idle. You regain it FAR quicker if you take consumables food/water and potions will instantly return a block value to you.

So as opposed to the Skyrim: Mana, Health & Stamina system, we'd have two values of Health & Energy; the latter being significantly larger than health ofc.

In terms of the mechanics of generating and regenerating "Energy", I make the distinction that generating is artificially induced via potions (instant) and food (EnergyOverTime), whereas regenerating is the constant process of you recovering Energy at a much slower rate when you stop expending it.

I think I may have mentioned it at some point in the new "Speed System" but unlike most RPGs around, in order to properly function you can't go for days without eating food and more importantly, (the less commonly found) you have to actually drink.

Whether that's water from a stream or ale from the tavern, you have to take in fluids and this is actually once a day at least. For food, maybe you can last past a day with a debuff, but thirst will stunt your overall energy that can be used/recovered over time and will eventually start damaging your health.

Now this system is not going to be as harsh as it sounds, you certainly won't have to be the Dragon Rider famed for carrying bottles of water in his saddlebags lol, but it WILL make the travelling more realistic time-wise (establishing the need to make camp and rest; for those who haven't read the Speed Thread, you can only recover 12% Energy each hour of sleep, none of those 1-hour Skyrim power naps) and danger-wise in Alagaesia there aren't that many roving hordes of bloodthirsty monsters (sadly), the more common dangers come from starvation, thirst, exhaustion and tough terrain in terrible weather.

If you've been travelling for a long time without rest and a group of bandits decides you'd look better as a corpse, then there will be an adrenaline boost mechanic for suddenly regaining some energy as you first enter combat, but if your too tired or weak from hunger/thirst, no matter how legendary you are, you're going to be chopped into tiny pieces.

The intention is that after sleeping in a comfortable place, such as your own home, an Inn or Palace Guest Rooms lol, you will have maybe 110% Energy cap rather than 100%, until you next fall asleep. Conversely, many nights making camp in the foothills will slowly wear down your Energy cap (yes, this effect does stack under certain circumstances) until you reach a limit of say a 30% reduction to your overall Energy; which is cleared up when you next sleep in a comfy bed and have a proper night's sleep." - End Quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from "The Speed System" -

"I was sorely disappointed that not just with horses, but with every species in Skyrim that can walk, run and sprint, that that is all they can do... Walk. Run. Sprint. A bit of a lacklustre 3-speed system tbh, where the only real variable that affects it is how much stamina (or in Alagaesia Energy; replacing mana and stamina for the Inheritance magic system) you have and even that doesn't effect running only sprinting.

And so, I've decided one of my first CK projects will be designing a realistic Speed/Effort system for species movement, for players and NPCs as well as the obvious star of this development: Mounts.

{Note: Bear in mind that Stamina/Energy will be GREATLY increased, so the following percentage estimates will take quite some time to deplete.)

Unmounted

The basic premise is to introduce a few formulas into the game that measure how fast you are moving and then relate it to both your stamina/energy, if you've been running for 2 days straight you will be b***dy exhausted, atm only short sprinting has that effect.

I'll be removing all sprinting and instead you start out running at the normal pace in Skyrim, as you travel (for example) a mile at that speed the script will trigger, increasing your speed, at certain distance/time 'waypoints' your speed will increase further until your character reaches, maybe 25% Stamina/Energy, at which point you'll start to slow down (in higher increments) until you hit 5% Stamina/Energy, causing you to slow to the default fast-walking pace.

And once you hit 1% you will have to make a small camp and rest or hit 0% and pass out (debuff on wake-up).

You regain Stamina/Energy at a pace of... I don't know perhaps 1% each minute when walking or remaining idle. You regain it FAR quicker if you take consumables food/water and ofcourse every hour you sleep you regain about 12% Stamina/Energy, no more Skyrim 1-hour sleep sessions completely refreshing you lol.

However this doesn't mean that you can walk onwards forever across the wilds and not lose (in fact gain) any Stamina/Energy, a second formula designed to measure distance travelled in a certain time will accurately reflect how far you can walk non-stop/within-a-certain-time-period without resting for like 1/2-hour/1-hour, before you stop regenerating Stamina/Energy as you walk. After 'too long' walking without a break (the time required to break is increased depending on how long you've been walking) you start to lose Stamina/Energy obviously at a much slower rate than running, but still significant enough that replaying Eragon and Murtagh's fast-paced journey through the Hadarac Desert might kill you if you don't bring the right supplies or have enough Energy left to draw Water from the Earth (All magics will ofc consume larger amounts of energy; instantaneously though, which for some very draining spells could cause a HUD blurring for a min or so) and as you near 1%; just like with the running mechanic, you'll have to establish a camp or reach 0% and fall unconscious, which has a random chance to have you attacked by a wild animal/bandits, be so exhausted when you wake up (debuff) that you can't escape the wilds.

I'll conclude the Unmounted Section by saying that if I get around to it and public opinion would like it included, I'd like to edit the script so certain weather types effect the effort it takes to traverse certain landscapes. A boiling sun in the Desert and a boiling sun in the forest produce two VERY different reactions, similarly you'd enjoy a rainstorm in the Hadarac (perhaps not if it kicks up a sandstorm) whereas in the middle of the Endless Plains it might not be so appreciated.

Non-Dragon (Horse/Other) Mounted

The Horse system will work much the same way as the Unmounted, except for a few little differences ofcourse.

A Horse's 'trot' (walk) is almost the speed of the Player's Highest Running Speed, but ofcourse as the Horse's 'walk' can be maintained pretty much indefinitely as Horses have fairly large energy pools (though a Player can surpass it naturally) right from the off, the MAIN difference between a Horse and a Player travelling is ofcourse the effort involved, the player will be able to load a horses saddlebags with items, fire arrows from it's back (probably as far as Dragon-Riding-Fighting will get), and primarily reserve his own energy levels for magic and fighting, most low level characters will REQUIRE Horses until their Dragon has matured enough to be rode upon and has built up a decent Energy pool.

Now on to the Horse's 'Gallop' mechanic, and I understand what you're thinking so far it sounds like there are still just two speed settings trotting and galloping, same as ever right?

The difference lies in the fact that all mounts (not Characters obv) have a much steeper and quicker climb into the higher 'running' speeds and be able to maintain this for GIGANTIC distances (though ofcourse they will consume more water than a character to compensate) a horse can be driven to near-death exhaustion (5%); though it would've been a VERY long journey for them to reach that point, and still not reduce it's pace, a horse only grinds to a halt when you make it or it hits 1% Energy and refuses to move any further, and you can even scrape th meat fro your horses bones for food if your in a tricky situation; lost in difficult terrain where game is scarce... " - End Quote

Sorry, for the GIGANTIC post, but I'd appreciate the oppurtunity to collaborate with this project alongside my Alagaesian work as they should coalesce nicely into each other.

Yours,

The Aspen Shadow

I skipped around and skimmed a lot, so... I apologize if I missed someone else saying this.

The OP says that arrows should hit like tanks. I agree, I think 2 arrows in the torso should put you down. One in the throat or face should put you down or kill you.

That being said.... If someone is wearing heavy armor, realistically arrows should just bounce right off. Seriously. I don't care what type of arrow or at what range. There will only ever be a very small chance that it will penetrate even a fairly thick armor plate. As armor is not a flat surface. In fact, armor was historically designed to be curved as to glance off blows.

F:NV had this nice feature when calculating damage called Damage Threshold, which would determine the minimum amount of damage required in order to do damage at all. Skyrim does not, unfortunately. Nor does it, as far as I am aware, have damage types according to weapon types (slashing, piercing, blunt)... perhaps it may be possible to define new damage types and then give each armor set specific resistances to them, so that chain mail is more resistant to slashing damage but weak against piercing and blunt, while plate armor is weaker only against blunt, etc.

I'll know more once I dig deeper in the CS.

I don't have the time right now to go through all those pages of posts but I find many ideas proposed very interesting. Still while I can understand the need of removing the temptation by not allowing fast travel at all etc. I would make this a variation of the mod, like have one version with still the possibility to fast travel etc, and one that's obviously more hardcore. I say this for sometimes fast travel solves lost companion issues and likes.

I've reposted a topic that was first hosted on the Bethsoft forum about what mods people wish to see the more (the idea is to get a data base of wishes and then confront them through voting) and I'll surely link this topic since there are many good ideas. However if anyone wish to add propositions to the wishlist I'd prefer them to do it rather than just copying the good ideas, I think it's not very respectful not to ask people if it's ok to repost in a gathering thread.

The topic is here (there are several lists linked in)

I don't have the time right now to go through all those pages of posts but I find many ideas proposed very interesting. Still while I can understand the need of removing the temptation by not allowing fast travel at all etc. I would make this a variation of the mod, like have one version with still the possibility to fast travel etc, and one that's obviously more hardcore. I say this for sometimes fast travel solves lost companion issues and likes.

I kind of agree. What I would like to see is a Hybrid fast travel system. You can ONLY fast travel to the stables in the major cities, then you can pay them to take you to any discovered landmark in the game that is along or slightly near the roads of Skyrim. They should charge double for a customised dangerous trip and they are gone when they drop you off. [Maybe the sound of a carriage and horse galloping off after the loading screen]

Maybe even distance based? i.e. a trip from the whiterun stables to secundas kiss costs 25 gold, but from Markath stables to High Hrothgar might be 500.

All other fast travel is disabled. I'd make this myself if I knew how.

How possible would something like that be shooter?:)

F:NV had this nice feature when calculating damage called Damage Threshold, which would determine the minimum amount of damage required in order to do damage at all. Skyrim does not, unfortunately. Nor does it, as far as I am aware, have damage types according to weapon types (slashing, piercing, blunt)... perhaps it may be possible to define new damage types and then give each armor set specific resistances to them, so that chain mail is more resistant to slashing damage but weak against piercing and blunt, while plate armor is weaker only against blunt, etc.

I'll know more once I dig deeper in the CS.

I posted this interesting topic back on page 49, looks like you missed it. I know its only "theory" but maybe you can figure it out and make it working ingame. Would be an awesome addition.

Edited by Skrdrm