Total Realism Overhaul

Mansh00ter

Instead, I will make combat as realistic as possible. This means that getting hit with a 2H sledge will be a very huge deal. You WILL want to block it, or otherwise avoid getting hit. Combat will be more dangerous, and you won't be able to soak up damage just like that, even in full armor. There will be wounds. Not location based, but I can base them on chance and circumstance. There will be armor classes and weapon damage types. And so on.

I completely agree with combat overhaul. I think blows like that should be fatal. But I think the reason why Bethsoft decided to make it so you can get hit so many times is not just to lower the difficulty, but increase the various different playing styles. The way you make it sound sometimes is that the player will almost always need a shield or magic to protect them. People who are quick on their feat could easily dodge some of those blows. Unless you find a way to add a button for dodging I don't think you'll achieve very much realism in your combat overhaul. :confused:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead, I will make combat as realistic as possible. This means that getting hit with a 2H sledge will be a very huge deal. You WILL want to block it, or otherwise avoid getting hit. Combat will be more dangerous, and you won't be able to soak up damage just like that, even in full armor. There will be wounds. Not location based, but I can base them on chance and circumstance. There will be armor classes and weapon damage types. And so on.

I completely agree with combat overhaul. I think blows like that should be fatal. But I think the reason why Bethsoft decided to make it so you can get hit so many times is not just to lower the difficulty, but increase the various different playing styles. The way you make it sound sometimes is that the player will almost always need a shield or magic to protect them. People who are quick on their feat could easily dodge some of those blows. Unless you find a way to add a button for dodging I don't think you'll achieve very much realism in your combat overhaul. :confused:

You will be able to block most if not all damage with your weapon, not only your shield. Active defense (blocking, maybe dodging etc.) will be way more important than passive (armor). You will lose stamina instead of health when blocking. Lose all of your stamina and you have a chance to stumble to the floor and get stepped on.

I also hope to add extensive weapon classes, so say that if you wield a dagger, you won't be able to block anything. Also add weapon damage types so, for example, piercing weapons will be particularly good against chain mail armor while not so good against plate.

Shield users will have the advantage of being able to advance while being fired upon by bows (and I hope magic, need to see if I can make shields block spell damage). I also do hope to add dodging, but first I need to see if I can detect key presses. Archers will finally have lethal arrows and bows at their disposal (but hey, so will the enemy).

I am also examining AI combat packages to see if I can make them more difficult for the player (looking for intentionally left weaknesses, like melee fighters leaving themselves open to attack for too long etc.)

This is all doable. Yes, there may be snags, or unforeseen problems, like the other day I spent most of the day figuring out how to detect that the player is standing in water. But from what I gathered so far about the CK and Papyrus, all of the above can be done.

Currently the only viable playing style is "stand there and hit them while they hit you until someone drops"... plus it's boring. You don't get a feeling of danger, even when fighting dragons. And consequently, you don't get that feeling of accomplishment when you defeat them either. That's something I'd like to change.

Edited by Mansh00ter

Progress for today (TR Basic Needs module):

- linked up all consumables with their respective effects.

- added another food type effect for raw foods; eating raw food will have a 30% chance of making you sick, while giving you half the nutritional value of a light snack

- improved animations for various food effects; now correct idles play for various circumstances. Eating food prevents you from moving for up to 6 seconds, but you can snap out of it by unsheathing weapons or spells. Getting sick will make you unable to perform any actions for the duration of the animation (several seconds)

-added sleep and wait time detection; the script updates hunger, sleep and thirst levels accordingly. I left out jail time detection because I assume you get fed in jail and you can sleep all day.

-removed magical effects from food (stamina and health recovery mostly); a soup may feel good but it won't heal your stab wounds

Left to do:

-drink effects scripts (mostly just a copy/paste job with tweaking)

-link up drinks with their effects

-getting drunk script (basic one, to be expanded in later versions)

-add sound cues for various hunger, thirst and sleep stages

-add refillable water skins to inn vendors

-script water refilling and drinking from streams

-release!

And I am fully aware of scripting limitations. In fact, I don't think locational damage is possible at all,

Isn't the engine still using the same type of code it used since Fallout 3? That had locational damage. If they can put it in Fallout 3, couldn't it be possible to add it to Skyrim? Of course I know nothing of programming or how hard this could be.

Or is it possible to make a script that runs in the background that artificially simulates locational damage? For example, the script applies a random critical wound if any hit does more than %50 of your total health in one hit it then assigns a random critical wound from the list below:

- Hit to the head: Knocked down for 5 seconds. [You're as good as dead if you don't have a follower to take the aggro]

- Hit to an arm: Gives you a "disease" that causes a %25 reduction in weapon damage / bow drawing / spell casting time

- Hit to the legs: Gives you a "disease" Movement speed reduced by %25

- Hit to the torso: Broken ribs "disease" Pain lowers dodging ability [maybe %25 loss in armour rating?]

I'd love to see something like that, it'd be better than no locational damage at all

Edited by Oomo

And I am fully aware of scripting limitations. In fact, I don't think locational damage is possible at all,

Isn't the engine still using the same type of code it used since Fallout 3? That had locational damage. If they can put it in Fallout 3, couldn't it be possible to add it to Skyrim? Of course I know nothing of programming or how hard this could be.

There are many things left over from Fallout, you can see plenty of references to guns and such. In fact, since they haven't disabled many of the gun flags for weapons I think it could probably be possible to have automatic weapons in Skyrim. :P

But the sections of CK dealing with locational damage, and this also includes dismemberment, have been disabled. I have no idea if they can be enabled - if they can I sure don't know how. It's a big shame that they disabled everything related to locational damage, but I guess their "no cleaving people apart" policy had something to do with it.

Or is it possible to make a script that runs in the background that artificially simulates locational damage? For example, the script applies a random critical wound if any hit does more than %50 of your total health in one hit it then assigns a random critical wound from the list below:

- Hit to the head: Knocked down for 5 seconds. [You're as good as dead if you don't have a follower to take the aggro]

- Hit to an arm: Gives you a "disease" that causes a %25 reduction in weapon damage / bow drawing / spell casting time

- Hit to the legs: Gives you a "disease" Movement speed reduced by %25

- Hit to the torso: Broken ribs "disease" Pain lowers dodging ability [maybe %25 loss in armour rating?]

I'd love to see something like that, it'd be better than no locational damage at all

That is possible and in fact you just described the wounds system I have in mind. Basically it will be a script that will monitor player health and will trigger either when the player is critically hit or when player's health drops down by a significant enough amount, and then randomly select from a list of wound effects to be applied to the player.

Will TRO be compatible with mods that add more foods to the game, such as Cooking Recipe Bundle?

It adds over 80 new food items, which could go well with the need to eat.

Due to the way TRO handles food, expanded food mods will need to be incorporated into TRO, or their respective authors will have to make them compatible. On its own it won't create any conflicts, but it won't recognize any new food as such.

If I get some spare time, I may look into bringing popular food recipe mods into TRO, if their authors allow it.