ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Crashing on Save File loading.

vindicate01

I used to crash pretty regularly, and used quicksave and overwrote saves all the time. Once I heard about the 'problems' with quicksave and autosave, and learned that the game has plenty of save slots so no overwriting is needed, I started saving only using the Esc menu save to a new slot. It took a while but now during normal play (i.e. when I'm not experimenting with the console and trying to set up battles with resurrected bandits etc.) I rarely crash, in fact now I have the problem of not saving often enough, so sometimes I need to use an autosave to avoid losing too much progress. Edited by Striker879

I have been getting on occasion a crash or freeze on loading autosave, and sometimes crashes or freezes during autosaving. I figured it was just that the file got corrupted. So I deleted all autosave.ess, autosave.obse, autosave.bak, and bak bak, lol. Then the next new autosave would load ok. Luckily I had a recent quicksave ess obse bak bak pluggy :thumbsup:

P.S. Is 5.4 megs too large for an autosave?

Open the console using the tilde (~) key and then at the prompt:

save YourNamedSave

and hit enter, then close the console.

Seems like Oblivion would not recognize the console saves for me to load. Any clues?

Edited by Timber57

My most recent save, that has over 1100 hours on it is just over 5.2 MB so I would say yours seems to be not bad for size. When you look in your Saves folder with Windows Explorer do you see your console named saves?

My most recent save, that has over 1100 hours on it is just over 5.2 MB so I would say yours seems to be not bad for size. When you look in your Saves folder with Windows Explorer do you see your console named saves?

sorry, I was not watching this topic. The saves from the console were in the default save folder but I don't remember if there was a corresponding .obse save. That might have been it, because my game needs it now. Guess I need to test to see if obse will write a console save too. And another thing I just noticed, up to save 10, I was getting a .pluggy save along with .obse. But not had any for 200+ saves now.

Mine does. I've just been playing a new character and so I'm using named saves to keep him separate from my main guy, and there's an .ess and .obse for each save. I don't use Pluggy myself, but that does sound like if you have it installed it's not working.

Mine does. I've just been playing a new character and so I'm using named saves to keep him separate from my main guy, and there's an .ess and .obse for each save. I don't use Pluggy myself, but that does sound like if you have it installed it's not working.

Even though the 'date modified' does not match, it must have stopped saving when I had to rename pluggy's .dll for a HUD mod. Also the save game works from console, saves both .ess and .obse. I did have Q-core once, great mod-to-be, in development, but got too quarky so I had to dismantle it, it might have messed those things up.