New dragon combat animations

SkyrimeisterSam

Ok so, like many I feel slightly underwhelmed by dragons. I have had to put the difficulty up to Expert to get a decent fight out of them. After slaying 15 or so, I have to say, it's kind of repetitive how the fights go. So here's some animations / abilities to make dragon fighting much more exciting:

-Everyone knows sneaking around and hacking at a dragons tail is an easy way to fell the beasts, but how about a tail swipe attack? The tail actually connects with the player which launches them 10/15ft away, proving much harder to get behind them. Blocking is critical to get around the tail, and you can counter with a power bash which causes the tail to become temporarily crippled which is dragged along the floor allowing you to attack, but only for a few seconds and then it recovers.

-Kicking, how awesome would that be? You've managed to get behind the dragon, and before you start slicing and dicing, the dragon raises one of its legs and forcefully kicks backwards which again causes you to fall to the ground 10/15ft away. The dragon uses its wings to balance so the animation wouldn't look out of place provided it's done right.

-Wing slice, the wings fold in and swing at the player, causing them to stagger.

-The mouth, I believe this could be dramatically improved. Every now and then when the dragon bites it should be able to clamp it's jaws around the player, prompting a quick time event where you have to rapidly hammer a button to get out of the dragons jaw grip. Possibly even a quick flash of the attack button after you get out which allows you to plunge your sword into the dragons head should you be quick enough to notice it. Failure to win this QTE poses no penalty, you just don't hit the dragon with extra damage, whereas if you fail the first one, the usual kill animation of you being violently shaken around in the dragons mouth should play.

I believe these will enable much more dynamic dragon fighting, where no part of the dragon is safe and can be exploited. You have to carefully time your blocks to avoid getting knocked over / staggered and the head of the dragon has been made even more lethal. Please add this modders :D

Edited by SkyrimeisterSam

Ok so, like many I feel slightly underwhelmed by dragons. I have had to put the difficulty up to Expert to get a decent fight out of them.

So as not to make a new thread, I would ask for their difficultly to be increased. They are too easy, and I am on the second highest difficulty setting.

Not a single one has knocked off more than a quarter of my health. There is no awe. There is no fear. Its just a repeat hit point sponge. I am far more afraid of bandits. That is silly.

Increasing the damage of their breath weapon by 200% or so would be a start. Beyond that, I dont know. They are just too easy and boring.

I cant believe this was touted as a central part of the game, and they arent challenging at all.

Thanks in advance.

I suppose this is why they were defeated and went extinct in the first place?

Anyway, I completely support this. An enemy that gets beaten up every time they make their entrance doesn't make them very intimidating. Once the Creation Kit is out I'm going to have a go at making them a lot stronger, don't think I can do much other than health and damage though.

• 2 weeks later...
Yea right now I play a warrior on master difficulty and I gotta say the level of fear is perfect. Now if that could be applied to every other class. Anywho, SkyrimeisterSam asked me to take a look over here for my mod, but I gotta say a fight revamp mod is its own thing - it'll take a good team of scripters for such a thing and for my mod I'm the only scripter. I know something like this will come about, but probably not for a good year or two after the SCK is released.