How do I convert a .blend file to .nif without having to uninstall an old version of Blender?

Gruffydd

Hey, all, I've got a question for all of you experienced Blender users out there.

I just started using the program, and found out that I can't export to .nif, because the plugin for .nif files doesn't work yet for the new version.

All of the instructions I've found say to do your work in the new version, save as to the old version, then export from the old version, but I'm really not wanting to have to deal with two different versions of Blender.

Since it's been a while since the last I've seen on this issue when I did a search, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way other than having to install an old version of Blender that lets you get your files converted over to .nif format?

Edit: Obviously that should read "without having to install", not uninstall, in the topic title... Sorry, not fully awake yet.

Blender cannot handle FO4 nif imports and exports, just FO3 nifs, so you will need another problem to do that conversion. It doesn't matter which Blender you use, there aren't plugins for FO4 yet.

The only working pipeline for me is Blender OBJ export -> Outfit Studio OBJ import -> Outfit Studio NIF export. This only works for clothing items unfortunately. The steps are here

The other thing I tried was Blender Fallout 3 nif export -> 3DSMax Fallout 3 nif import -> 3DSMax Fallout 4 nif export described here but it doesn't work for me. I tried with both old (pre 2.5) and new versions of Blender and it didn't work.

The problem with this was that the UV map was lost during the 3DSMax (2016) process. It might still be worth trying with different versions of 3DSMax to see if it works?

The 3DSMax importer/exporter is strange because it preserves weights and UV map fine when I do the reverse (importing FO4 nif, then exporting as FO3). You will need to do that to start creating/modifying things in blender. In that case the pipeline will be 3DMax Fallout 4 nif import -> 3DSMax Fallout 3 nif export -> Blender Fallout 3 nif import. All of that is described in detail in the links I gave.

Edited by sepharis

Blender cannot handle FO4 nif imports and exports, just FO3 nifs, so you will need another problem to do that conversion. It doesn't matter which Blender you use, there aren't plugins for FO4 yet.

:sad:

Is it possible to edit meshes using free software? Or is everyone using 3ds Max...? I was really banking on using Blender.

Edit: It looks like the NifTools team was working on a Blender plug-in for Fallout 4 some time ago. I don't know what the current state of things is.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6295

Here is stacktrace from failure of importing a nif. Using plugin

"blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4.zip" have also tried plugin "blender_nif_plugin-2.6.0a0.dev4-20-jun-16.zip"

http://imgur.com/x6Q0KXr

Look familar to anyone?

Edited by mkborgelt13

Some people use the .obj/.fbx import/export functionality in Bodyslide's Outfit Studio to go between Blender and FO4. But from everything I've seen, almost everyone doing something more complex is using MAX. Same with Skyrim modding too.

I've used the obj output from Blender into Outfit Studio to create a nif. It works sometimes and others not .. so somewhat of a crap shoot here in terms of what get. Have also used 3D Builder to make some corrections to obj files before feed them into OS .. same proviso in terms of works sometimes other times not.

Some people use the .obj/.fbx import/export functionality in Bodyslide's Outfit Studio to go between Blender and FO4. But from everything I've seen, almost everyone doing something more complex is using MAX. Same with Skyrim modding too.

I've used the obj output from Blender into Outfit Studio to create a nif. It works sometimes and others not .. so somewhat of a crap shoot here in terms of what get. Have also used 3D Builder to make some corrections to obj files before feed them into OS .. same proviso in terms of works sometimes other times not.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

I heard somewhere the Bodyslide obj/fbx conversion only worked with clothing items... What if I was trying to edit, say, a syringe nif I extracted from vanilla ba2. I am looking to grab verts and do basic geometry editing on meshes.

Edit:

OK, I was able to successfully convert a NIF to FBX (and OBJ) using ObjectStudio.

Then, I imported the FBX (and OBJ) using blender. Definitely see what you mean by "sometimes and others not." Mesh is there but distorted. Something to do with bones, maybe. I'll keep trying.

Edited by mkborgelt13

Then, I imported the FBX (and OBJ) using blender. Definitely see what you mean by "sometimes and others not." Mesh is there but distorted. Something to do with bones, maybe. I'll keep trying.

You'll need to clear the pose on the armature, so go into pose mode and press "Alt-G", "Alt-S" and then "Alt-R". Or you could do "Clear Pose Transforms", but there's no hotkey for that.

The armature will still be broken, but the mesh and weighting will be fine. UVs might be flipped vertically though.

You'll need to clear the pose on the armature, so go into pose mode and press "Alt-G", "Alt-S" and then "Alt-R". Or you could do "Clear Pose Transforms", but there's no hotkey for that.

The armature will still be broken, but the mesh and weighting will be fine. UVs might be flipped vertically though.

Thanks. It seems I can edit simple meshes without a problem (rifle magazines) but more complex things (power generator) get all bent out of shape. I will try this.

Edit: Do you know if "nif->Outfit studio -> Blender -> outfit studio->nif" method preserves the UV mapping of the mesh?

Edited by mkborgelt13

Do you know if "nif->Outfit studio -> Blender -> outfit studio->nif" method preserves the UV mapping of the mesh?

If I remember correctly, yes. But if you've corrected the UVs to work in Blender I think you'll need to re-flip them.