How do I convert a .blend file to .nif without having to uninstall an old version of Blender?

Gruffydd

Then, I imported the FBX (and OBJ) using blender. Definitely see what you mean by "sometimes and others not." Mesh is there but distorted. Something to do with bones, maybe. I'll keep trying.

You'll need to clear the pose on the armature, so go into pose mode and press "Alt-G", "Alt-S" and then "Alt-R". Or you could do "Clear Pose Transforms", but there's no hotkey for that.

The armature will still be broken, but the mesh and weighting will be fine. UVs might be flipped vertically though.

Thanks. It seems I can edit simple meshes without a problem (rifle magazines) but more complex things (power generator) get all bent out of shape. I will try this.

Edit: Do you know if "nif->Outfit studio -> Blender -> outfit studio->nif" method preserves the UV mapping of the mesh?

OK, thanks.

Update:

I just figured out it is possible to export .obj using NifSkope, too. I am not sure yet if there is any difference to the Outfit Studio export.

Edited by mkborgelt13

Then, I imported the FBX (and OBJ) using blender. Definitely see what you mean by "sometimes and others not." Mesh is there but distorted. Something to do with bones, maybe. I'll keep trying.

You'll need to clear the pose on the armature, so go into pose mode and press "Alt-G", "Alt-S" and then "Alt-R". Or you could do "Clear Pose Transforms", but there's no hotkey for that.

The armature will still be broken, but the mesh and weighting will be fine. UVs might be flipped vertically though.

Thanks. It seems I can edit simple meshes without a problem (rifle magazines) but more complex things (power generator) get all bent out of shape. I will try this.

Edit: Do you know if "nif->Outfit studio -> Blender -> outfit studio->nif" method preserves the UV mapping of the mesh?

OK, thanks.

Update:

I just figured out it is possible to export .obj using NifSkope, too. I am not sure yet if there is any difference to the Outfit Studio export.

The major difference is that you can't IMPORT with Nifskope.

In my recent attempts at remodelling a workbench, the only workflow that worked for me was

> Export obj from Outfit Studio

>Import .obj to Blender

>Export .obj from Blender

>import .obj to Outfit Studio

>Export .nif from Outfit Studio

>Open .nif in Nifskope.

Every other combination I tried crashed Nifskope or Outfit Studio.

Bear in mind that the conversion back and forth may lose your bones etc.

What I did to get around that was drag and drop the new nif mesh into the 'original' nif, and copy/paste the bones etc. from one to the other.

Hope that helps you some! :)

Also be aware that some obj files are so large that OS chokes on them and just keeps cycling on and on. For converting my old nif's from FMV I always used nifskope to export the obj form and then brought back via OS. A few times had to use 3D Builder to correct but not often. So much fun trying to get things to work isn't it.