Trouble with robe replacer

Elazul2k

Ok, just want to start off by saying I feel like a complete dumbass asking this question because I have done a fair amount of modding on this game already with lots of success and this seems to be a simple replacer installation(that I can tell).

Trying to install this replacer for the green aquasilk robe: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40526

I am having a heck of a time with it. I'm extracting the file directly into the datafolder but its not asking me to overwrite anything. Its like the data didn't exist before this was installed or something which is just odd. I do not have two data folders either and I do have all the required stuff. I have HGEC installed with the fighter body(D cup) and the skeleton mod installed it was asking for as well. Does anyone see an extra step I may be missing that I am overlooking perhaps? Oh also I was never prompted to overwrite a file which I found also odd. Is it possible that the file name in the game is different and in a different location in the actual game? Using the Steam version if that makes a difference.

It just seems no matter how I go about trying to install this its just not working. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm totally stuck. Any assitance would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This isn't the only mod I am having trouble with from this mod maker either. Unable to get any of his replacer robes and armors to work.

Edited by Elazul2k

I've downloaded a number of yuravica's FLY series to check out, and they are all organized within the 7z archive the same way, starting with the meshes folder. If you want to extract directly to your game install you'll need to extract to the meshes folder within your Oblivion\Data folder. Personally I always download mods to a named subfolder of the OblivionDownloads folder I have created and do the extraction to that subfolder. That way I can examine the mod's file and folder structure and determine what files may be overwritten by a mod before committing changes to my Oblivion install. By extracting directly to your game install you're at the mercy of the modder's decisions on what may or may not get overwritten. Normally for a replacer mod like this, only folders will be overwritten unless you have previously installed a replacer for that same vanilla asset (i.e. if you first installed Joe Blows AquaSilk Robe Replacer and then installed FLY_Aquasilkrobe_remodel_replacer_for_HGEC_with_BBB then the FLY version would overwrite the files that Joe Blows installed).

I downloaded and looked at this mod and find that it's data structure is slightly off from the meshes.bsa file for the game. The replacer puts the robe in data\meshes\armor\clothes and the bsa file has the robe in meshes\clothes. As you can see there is no armor folder in the bsa as far as the robe is concerned. You will not see any indication that something is being overwritten btw unless you already have a mod installed that modifies the robe. The reason for this is because replacers don't usually modify the bsa file, they just put the items in a position that forces the game to look at them instead of the file in the bsa.

You can attempt to change the data structure to move the clothes folder up one level to put it outside the armor folder and see if that allows you to see the new robe.

One other thing I noted was a file in the mod that has no extension what so ever. I am not sure why that is, and can only guess that it is actually the texture file, but I could be wrong on that part.

Edited by Keirgarth

Hmm ... I just re-downloaded the AquaSilkRobe (download file name Aqua_silk_robe_remodel_fixed-40526-1-1.7z). I had checked out the original version from Sept 30. Checking the folder structure of both the older version and the latest version I'm not seeing the folder structure you're describing Keirgarth. I do see the no extension file robeuc02f in both versions. Both versions unpack to the following folder/file structure ... meshes\clothes\robeuc02\f\robeuc02f.nif, which I believe matches the folder/file structure for the vanilla aquasilk robe in the BSA. In the latest iteration of my manual install procedure, when a mod isn't packaged to start from the Data folder I create one in the download extract folder and reorganize everything so that I can copy the Data folder and paste into my Oblivion folder (I find this method reduces the number of corrections I need to make in my game install Data folder from pasting to the wrong spot, plus it allows me to do things like apply the BBBed version of a mesh outside my game install ... I do like to double check things).

I installed the FLY version of aquasilk robe but didn't leave it installed as I didn't care for the way it was BBBed (same with the red silk), but installation and getting it to show in the game wasn't a problem.

Interesting to say the least. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the exact file name, but there was definitely an armor directory in the structure on my download. I have since deleted it though, so not going to download it again to see what is up. I always extract to a folder named the same as the archive on my desktop before I install anything. This way I can pay attention to the way the files are arranged and I can look for omod data so that it will install with OBMM easier.

We're both cautious installers ... nothing wrong with that. I wonder if it makes any difference which download location you choose from the list? I generally use the Dallas server. I do recall the server issue coming up once with Emma's Packdonkeys, but the server used thing may have been a red herring on that particular issue.