Help with putting a new piece of clothing into the game

BonJons

I'm not sure what I've done wrong, i'm trying to create Boone's 1st Recon Beret and I've succeeded... almost.

My first attempt I made a custom mesh for the item but I kept failing at putting it in the game. i'd use .dds for the textures, i'd use a BGSM for the material, i'd look at the Military Cap for reference on how to create my NIF file. I made a female and male version and also a GO version all exactly the same as the Military Cap NIFs but with my mesh and my material file.

Anyway so once i've created the NIF files I load up creation kit and duplicate the armor and armor addon for the Military Cap and then change the names and IDs and replace the NIFs with my NIFs. In the creation kit it works, it shows up in the preview and when i put it into the map it appears in the render window.

So then i place it on the floor on some part of the map, save it as a new plugin, load the plugin, go to that part of the map and nothing. It's not even invisible, it's just simply not there. So i find the ID of the item and add it to my inventory, it's there in my inventory but it's invisible, when i put it on my head the hair removes from my character but there's no hat, no shadow either.

The folder layout is Data\(Textures)(materials)(meshes)\clothes\1streconberet\(beret.nif)(beret.bgsm)(beret_d/n/s.dds)

If someone could help me i'd be happy to send them over my NIF files and see if you can get it to work.

Im still struggling to work out clothing myself, so hopefully you do get a proper answer for this.

I have gotten my own custom weapon in game, but I cannot get any clothing into the game.

I think in a tutorial it says something about the mesh having assigned vertex/bones that have no weight could be a cause of invisibilty.

Another problem could be if the object is assigned to playable or not?

Im still struggling to work out clothing myself, so hopefully you do get a proper answer for this.

I have gotten my own custom weapon in game, but I cannot get any clothing into the game.

I think in a tutorial it says something about the mesh having assigned vertex/bones that have no weight could be a cause of invisibilty.

Another problem could be if the object is assigned to playable or not?

I'm going to try and do the exact same thing but with a static object to see if it's because it's a clothing item.

Okay all i've changed is the paths for the strings and the BSShaderTexture set

http://image.prntscr.com/image/ba960552933e4c639e3521e97c6db182.png

Edit: The texture is just purple in the creation kit now.

Edited by BonJons

I just did a test of my own. I just renamed a static object, I didnt even change anything and it is still invisible in game. It shows up in nifskope and creation kit but doesnt exist in game.

I have no idea why it wont show

Same here, apparently you have to delete the bones that have zero weights (deleting the vertex group) but I have no idea how to open a Nif file in Maya or Blender without converting it to obj

Ok I think I may have sorted out the problem with the invisible statics and such. I just tested a couple more statics and they are showing now. Hopefully this is the problem we are having with the clothes.

Look at your fallout ini file in your documents folder.

Make sure there is a line under [archive]:

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\, VIDEO\

Let me know if that works for you :smile:

Oh my god, it was that. Just a small line of text in an .ini file. No way was that all i was missing this entire time, so much trail and error when it was probably working fine the entire time. :ohmy:

You're a Savior for suggesting it though, :laugh: it works and appears. Now to edit the BGSM and find out why it's so shiny. :sleep:

http://image.prntscr.com/image/175ac198181c4766bd1c63bfc49102bf.png