Stem cell therapy

Lehcar

I'm sorry, hoofhearted4, but considering how Australia can tax up to 45% of your income, I'm pretty sure our health care is better than America's, to be frank.

Anyway, lukertin, we can always fall back to our Luddite traditions and not experiment, or we can do some scientific experiments and research and see if there actually is something there. If you don't try, you won't know. However, I do agree with the 'proof' necessary to fulfill such a 'theory', but what a lot of people interpret gene therapy's ability is as something of a 'potential', not a confirmed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt say america was the best its and its going to progressively get worse the way the government keeps going with it. im just saying the quality of nation's health care isnt a part of this debate and bringing it up multiple times isnt worth while, but now im making a big deal out of it so im being a hypocrate now...just gunna drop it and hope others do the same

@ zegh8578:

Another person who demonstrates a poor knowledge on stem cell therapy. Stem cell therapy encompasses the use of faetuses, but it is not the only exclusive branch of stem cell therapy: there are many other ones out there that are currently saving people from cancer and a whole range of other diseases.

@ zegh8578:

Another person who demonstrates a poor knowledge on stem cell therapy. Stem cell therapy encompasses the use of faetuses, but it is not the only exclusive branch of stem cell therapy: there are many other ones out there that are currently saving people from cancer and a whole range of other diseases.

yes.

*makes mental note: remember to add everything else i know, lest someone will dictate everything faintly relevant but not added, and assume you never knew - for then to make accusations regarding whole knowledge-base concerning subject - that even has no relevance to the original comment in the first place*

thank you.

Getting back to the OP here, I just want to get a few things out there:

1. The kid, for all intents and purposes, is little more than a vegetable, right now.

2. Since the stem cells come from the little sister's umbilical, I think it's safe to say that she was already born, so the question of cells from a fetus is moot, in this case.

3. I doubt he'd be sent to the U.S. for this sort of thing if a doctor isn't already lined up, and there would be ways of checking his qualifications.

Now, the only real question I have is: are the stem cells from the cord blood embryonic, or adult?

Edited by juderodney

There is a relevancy in this case: many people reject stem cell research because of their focus on that issue. This is a debate, we must present all sides of the argument. Omission is not an excuse to exercise knowledge.

No, it's not a relevancy in this case, because this case deals with stem cell treatment, not stem cell research. Because the OP was severely lacking in information, let's say there exists no stem cell research, and the family was asking the judge to let the kid into the US so some doctor could perform research on the efficacy of embryonic stem cells as a treatment to various diseases/conditions.

What then?

Edited by lukertin

let's say... the family was asking the judge to let the kid into the US so some doctor could perform research on the efficacy of embryonic stem cells as a treatment to various diseases/conditions.

Well, they weren't:

There was a toxicology study of autologous bone marrow stem cells applied to brain damage in March's Neurosurgery. However, its success says nothing about the safety of allogenic cord blood stem cells – they still may pose a risk of tumors or an immune response. I can find three in-progress toxicology studies of allogeneic cord blood stem cells applied to brain damage, but none involve hypoxic brain damage. So the parents likely just wanted to find some guy who would inject stem cells directly into the child's brain, outside of a study. Lovely.

There is a relevancy in this case: many people reject stem cell research because of their focus on that issue. This is a debate, we must present all sides of the argument. Omission is not an excuse to exercise knowledge.

No, it's not a relevancy in this case, because this case deals with stem cell treatment, not stem cell research. Because the OP was severely lacking in information, let's say there exists no stem cell research, and the family was asking the judge to let the kid into the US so some doctor could perform research on the efficacy of embryonic stem cells as a treatment to various diseases/conditions.

What then?

It's through research that the treatment comes through, so it is somewhat relevant.