Skyrim: Less Harsh Hardcore Mode

19logan91

New Vegas at least tried something different with their difficulty sliders by adding weight limits etc as opposed to just upping the npcs hitpoints and damage ratio.

Would love to have seen Skyrim incorporating same ideas where Master difficulty added item decay and fast travel no longer functioning. Am sure a future modder will incorporate these into the world...

Something like that would be awesome. I hate it that enemies on master take ages to kill and deal out massive damage. Instead, Additions to gameplay which limit your godness would be nice, like having to feed, to drink, to resharpen weapons, to sleep... I thought maybe even puking while fighting near pools of blood and sekeletons and stuff. But not immortal enemies which force you to exploit game mechanics.

One would think with the amount of resources and planning that goes into building these games, developers like Bethesda could think of something more original then simply upping npcs hitpoints and damage ratio as the sole determinent for difficulty level.

Would have been nice if they took some of New Vegas ideas but they took a step back again with Skyrim's release.

So true. I really liked new vegas hardcore mod. I loved planning which weapons and ammunition to take with me and storing the rest in my house. That was awesome. But I have no doubts that these "luxuries" will be kept from us with that much attention skyrim gets and that big amount of ambitioned modders. Only thing holding us back is the construction set release. And with a proper editing tool you can even mod downloaded mods to your personal needs. That's the true strength of elder scrolls and fallout games from bethesda. Edited by domanz

I dont know what the possibilities in modding are - but any chance a mod could be like this?

You know how it normally goes: You will get tricked into breaking the rules at some point, it will get more often and finally you give up playing this way totally.

A Hardcore Mod would indeed be very cool. I could imagine it being like this:

- savegames completely incompatible when used without the mod (no idea, if possible)

- auto-overwrite/auto-delete the savegames. Death of your character forces you to start over again. Maybe adjustable to time based auto-saving.

- quest markers disabled

- map markers disabled (maybe possibility to place and name multiple custom markers)

- fast travel disabled

- progressive stamina loss after a set time without sleep and/or food, health loss and death possible

That would be a nice framework for such a mod if anyone sees possibilities to do such thing. I would love to see that for a second playthrough

Edited by di55ec7i0n

What you could do instead of insta-death is have strict death penalties. For example, lose 50 gold x your level every time you die (you can just go to a vendor, buy something, and drop it on the ground, drink it, etc.).

If you don't have enough gold, the death debt stays and you cannot buy anything, or use crafting stations (unless perhaps you are using them to "work off" your debt..

Edited by Levgre

Levgre this is a bad idea, mmos and dead island punish you by taking 10% of your current gold from your inventory which is punishment enough. A fixed value will make the game even more impossible for people dying often.

On dissections ideas, wow, you're quite confident, I hope there will be a lite version for hedonists like me :D What should at least be optional are the incompatible savegames (one should be allowed to change his or her mind without being forced to start a new game) and markers disabled thing, as someone else mentioned, the clues on quests are not enough to quest because the game is made to work with markers. Without, you'd be quite helpless without knowing the game already, which in return makes disabling markers senseless. That stamina degeneration is a good idea similar to how it worked in fallout. Also equipment degradation, maybe lasting wounds from battle which only heal by visiting a healer npc (priests and the like could be modded to have a "healing" dialogue option) or by mastering restoration or alchemy... many ideas, but I fear without collecting them someplace a modder willing to do this reading them, they will be forgotten soon.

But there will be something of the likes quite soon I'm sure. There are already early tries to balance the game.

Edited by domanz