Meshes/Textures Folder Structures

singjai108

I'm trying to manual install a custom race, DK High Imperials, (The mod author recommends manual installation, or at least doesn't mention using a mod manager. ) So I'm checking the folders within the mod. The Meshes folder looks like this:

Meshes>

Characters>

DKImperial>

>Eyelashes

>Eyes

>Head

>Ren Hairs

>Saram Hairs

The files for Eyelashes through Saram Hairs are all contained in these separate subfolders. The Textures folder is similarly structured.

A couple questions arise.

For the purposes of manual installation, does the innermost set of sub-folders present a problem? Please note: the only other races I can look at are the vanilla races and Sheogorath, which don't have this layer of sub-folders.

This seems to be a pretty straightforward mod: a single .esp, a readme, and Meshes and Textures folders. It would seem to be something any mod manager could install. Was manual installation simply the preferred method with Oblivion mod authors ca. 2010? And can the instructions be ignored in favor of using NMM, OBMM or Wrye Bash? Generally, I prefer using a manager.

Thanks very much!

Edited by singjai108

is the structure looks like

textures/blah/blah
meshes/blah/blah
file.esp

You can install with wrye bash with ease. Even if it is not, I suggest to put the files in the correct way (as readme suggest), make a .7z file and install with wrye bash.

The folder structure must remain exactly as it is in the extracted download or the mod simply won't work. I agree with zdswulyx, Wrye will have no trouble installing it, either from your unextracted original download (in which case your game folders will get the readme) or from a 7-Zip repackaged archive (if you wanted it without the readme ... but all other files and folders must be the same as in the original).

I only use BAIN for a select few mods, but I think Wrye will automatically put the readmes into a folder of their own. I'm far too old school to give up my dinosaur ways.

Thanks very much, guys. I always prefer getting things right the first try, rather than cleaning up my own mess.

I put all my Oblivion readmes in a folder I call Game Info>Oblivion, and I installed the mod using Wrye Bash. TES4Edit didn't have any problems with it. I'll see how it goes when I return to run the game.

A word of advice ... don't install a bunch of mods before testing. The more mods you've added since you last gave the game a thorough test the greater the complexity of the troubeshooting session when the inevitable happens.

One mod, one testing session is the Striker way.