Oblivion crashes on startup with ENB

neoncatty

last night my game was fine , it was running with enb , and i didnt change ANYTHING that night . now i play it today and it crashes before the bethesda logo even pops up . i tried everything , reinstalling the game , sorting the load order , disabling all of my mods , nothing worked ! but as soon as i removed the d3d9 file , it worked perfectly .

could anyone tell me how to fix this ? i'm glad my game is working again , but i want it to look pretty as well .. ;~;

dunno if this is helping or not,

but you can try download program called CCleaner (free software)

every time when Oblivion is instant ctd on startup. Open CCleaner, clean all in 'System' section

this trick is always do me good

You probably have automatic updates turned on in Windows and something it updated broke things for you. You wouldn't notice until after you rebooted your machine (when you shutdown last night did you get a Windows warning it was updating files).

First step is to rename your Oblivion.ini file (found in the Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder ... NOT Oblivion_default.ini found in the game's Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder ... I generally recommend changing Oblivion.ini to OblivionOld.ini). Restart the game and it will generate a new Oblivion.ini based on default values and what it finds for hardware (and just like when you first set up the game it generally doesn't do a good job of recognizing modern hardware, so you'll need to use the menus to get things set up again).

Once you get the game starting properly then reapply any Oblivion.ini tweaks you previously had using your backed up OblivionOld.ini as a guide.

• 1 year later...