werewolf tweeks

jmilldog

Werewolf improvements  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see as improvements to the Skyrim werewolf system?

• Life detection (constant sense of smell)
    • slow constant regeneration (like bloodmoon werewolf)
    • Variety in pelt coloration
    • feeding on animals
    • other? Feel free to comment below.
    • All of the above!

Pretty much everything posted yet in this thread, one massive mod with it's various features able to be toggled on and off for those that want some features and not others would be a good idea.

For my contribution, I picked all of the above, and here's my other: I haven't been a werewolf yet, I'm waiting for a mod like this to make it so much better, but I hear you can't cast spells while a werewolf, aside from these things called howls which is different from what I mean. I find this ridiculous because there are plenty of other mindless creatures that can cast spells so why not you?

I also hear that werewolves have problems fitting though some spaces in dungeons that as normal you can fit through easily enough, so the werewolf model needs to be made slightly smaller to fix this.

I've made my own thread asking for mods about werewolves, and from what I've seen werewolves are one of the most requested things on these forums to get modded in Skyrim. From what I hear about it the werewolf in Skyrim was implemented VERY poorly in this game. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I was going to be a werewolf I'd want to be able to spend a majority of my time in Skyrim fully transformed into one, otherwise it's not really much of a feature.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@immortalfrieza I agree about having a lot of these features toggable, this is a must because werewolves are a really touchy thing. A lot of people have their own ideas on what a werewolf should be. But I wanted to say I disagree with you about bethesdas werewolves. Bethesda went above and beyond with the werewolves. These werewolves are the best looking werewolves I've seen anywhere(movies included) because they dont look too much like a wolf but they also dont look too beastly. Also the animations bethesda made for them has blew me away! So yes they do need tweaks but they are great out of the gate. Think of it this way, what if they werent in the game? Would modders have made a better looking one? Would modders have made animations as god as bethesda? I think not.

allow for changing back at will instead of waiting

It would be nice to revert in combat if need be but as soon as you devour your enemies and exit combat you can just wait for an hour to end the transformation. Not quite as slick and cool, but functional at least.

Also to expand on my earlier werewolf last stand idea, I think it should apply to werewolf npcs as well. It seems unlikely that even if you stick a sword in the gut of a werewolf that they wouldn't transform anyway and put up a fight. It wouldn't make sense if you behead them so it would need to check for that, or not apply to finishing moves. I also think if the mod is created it should check for alert/combat status. What I mean is if you stealth kill an npc they shouldn't get the chance to transform.

Overall this idea would require faster or invincible transitions to wolf form as well to be effective.

Would be a fun and interesting perk to see implemented in game, I hope someone takes interest.

@immortalfrieza I agree about having a lot of these features toggable, this is a must because werewolves are a really touchy thing. A lot of people have their own ideas on what a werewolf should be. But I wanted to say I disagree with you about bethesdas werewolves. Bethesda went above and beyond with the werewolves. These werewolves are the best looking werewolves I've seen anywhere(movies included) because they dont look too much like a wolf but they also dont look too beastly. Also the animations bethesda made for them has blew me away! So yes they do need tweaks but they are great out of the gate. Think of it this way, what if they werent in the game? Would modders have made a better looking one? Would modders have made animations as god as bethesda? I think not.

I was talking about the mechanics of Skyrim's Werewolves, not it's appearance. In appearance werewolves are pretty good, but for the mechanics I much preferred the werewolves they used in the bloodmoon expansion.

However, now that you mention it, while I really like the looks of the werewolf, I wish it had more variation, and not just in color, but in size and shape also, and based on race and gender. For instance, as the smallest race Bosmer should also be the smallest werewolves, and as one of the more scrawny looking races the thinnest and least muscular, (mechanic-wise they should be as strong as any other werewolf though) while the Nords would be the tallest and one of the most muscular. I can't imagine exactly how being a werewolf would affect the beast races, aside from turning the Khajiit into sabe cats and the Argonians into dragons, but that makes them werecats and weredragons so we're talking about a different transformation altogether, but I'm sure someone with more imagination can come up with aesthetics based around the beast races. As for the color of the fur and eye, it should be based on the skin and eye color of the races, for example dark blue fur for Dunmer and black for the Redguards, and Dunmer typically have reddish eyes so replacing the typical werewolf yellow irises with red ones would be a good idea.

I was talking about the mechanics of Skyrim's Werewolves, not it's appearance. In appearance werewolves are pretty good, but for the mechanics I much preferred the werewolves they used in the bloodmoon expansion.

However, now that you mention it, while I really like the looks of the werewolf, I wish it had more variation, and not just in color, but in size and shape also, and based on race and gender. For instance, as the smallest race Bosmer should also be the smallest werewolves, and as one of the more scrawny looking races the thinnest and least muscular, (mechanic-wise they should be as strong as any other werewolf though) while the Nords would be the tallest and one of the most muscular. I can't imagine exactly how being a werewolf would affect the beast races, aside from turning the Khajiit into sabe cats and the Argonians into dragons, but that makes them werecats and weredragons so we're talking about a different transformation altogether, but I'm sure someone with more imagination can come up with aesthetics based around the beast races. As for the color of the fur and eye, it should be based on the skin and eye color of the races, for example dark blue fur for Dunmer and black for the Redguards, and Dunmer typically have reddish eyes so replacing the typical werewolf yellow irises with red ones would be a good idea.

Actually racial based differences makes sense and might (Not going to garentee it) be easier to mod in, then you add the other pelt colors and set those to NPC and the player somehow.

I can't imagine exactly how being a werewolf would affect the beast races, aside from turning the Khajiit into sabe cats and the Argonians into dragons, but that makes them werecats and weredragons so we're talking about a different transformation altogether

I don't think we need to change the animal associated with khajiit and argonians so much as they just need different skins.

A no hair scaly skinned wolf for argonians would be easy enough to pull off.

Khajiit might be a little trickier, although I imagine with a lot of trial and error you might be able to make them tiger striped or something and not have it look stupid.

I dont know about the slow regen, I kind of like having to feed to regain health it makes it feel much more like I HAVE to feed which is how I like it,

Personally I would also like a mod (now this would be just for fun) that would allow us to disable bloodlust running out of time.

Not to nit pick but doesn't that contradict a little?

You either have to feed because of health, or you have to feed because of time... either one technically forces you to use it - and if you had enough viable targets to feed on your form lasts indefinitely anyway.

I'd actually like to see a stacking health regen. Start at 0, then every feed is something like +.15 or .25 (possibly up to a max of 2.0 for the duration of the transformation). If you wanted to get clever with it you could have half of the regen transfer over to human form for 24hrs. You could even start the initial regen at a slight negative so that it drains health until your first feed.

I'd also like to be able to loot (granted its probably a conflict with the feed function as-is in the game since its the same hotkey). This seems to be a silly "realism" function that doesn't belong as its mostly just annoying more than it is any sort of real disadvantage or that it adds value to the game.

Perhaps bash in locked doors, and *maybe* to a lesser extent and for the same reasons of the loot complaint you could also add chest locks to this with the possible exception of master locks.

if it doesnt already - light armor and 1h skills/perks transfer over (beast hide improved by your LA skill) - note I do not mean armor and weapon ratings transfer, just the skills to give it better scaling (I have no idea if they do or do not presently)

a hotkey for each of the hircine totems - currently fear trumps the other 2 and you start with it. This would also give you the life sense that you already wanted.

and MAYBE be able to transfer over the stats of accessories (neck/ring).

and if you wanted to add an interesting feature as a disadvantage - a chance of an auto-transform if the form is neglected for too long. No feeding attempts after (for example) 70 hours? You run an increasing risk of an unfortunate accident. Currently there really is no reason (that I know of) to get rid of "the curse" even if you keep it for the sole purpose of the 100% disease resist.

and I would guess absolutely none of this is possible without scripting a mod in the kit that doesn't exist yet :)

I dont know about the slow regen, I kind of like having to feed to regain health it makes it feel much more like I HAVE to feed which is how I like it,

Personally I would also like a mod (now this would be just for fun) that would allow us to disable bloodlust running out of time.

Not to nit pick but doesn't that contradict a little?

You either have to feed because of health, or you have to feed because of time... either one technically forces you to use it - and if you had enough viable targets to feed on your form lasts indefinitely anyway.

I'd actually like to see a stacking health regen. Start at 0, then every feed is something like +.15 or .25 (possibly up to a max of 2.0 for the duration of the transformation). If you wanted to get clever with it you could have half of the regen transfer over to human form for 24hrs. You could even start the initial regen at a slight negative so that it drains health until your first feed.

I'd also like to be able to loot (granted its probably a conflict with the feed function as-is in the game since its the same hotkey). This seems to be a silly "realism" function that doesn't belong as its mostly just annoying more than it is any sort of real disadvantage or that it adds value to the game.

Perhaps bash in locked doors, and *maybe* to a lesser extent and for the same reasons of the loot complaint you could also add chest locks to this with the possible exception of master locks.

if it doesnt already - light armor and 1h skills/perks transfer over (beast hide improved by your LA skill) - note I do not mean armor and weapon ratings transfer, just the skills to give it better scaling (I have no idea if they do or do not presently)

a hotkey for each of the hircine totems - currently fear trumps the other 2 and you start with it. This would also give you the life sense that you already wanted.

and MAYBE be able to transfer over the stats of accessories (neck/ring).

and if you wanted to add an interesting feature as a disadvantage - a chance of an auto-transform if the form is neglected for too long. No feeding attempts after (for example) 70 hours? You run an increasing risk of an unfortunate accident. Currently there really is no reason (that I know of) to get rid of "the curse" even if you keep it for the sole purpose of the 100% disease resist.

and I would guess absolutely none of this is possible without scripting a mod in the kit that doesn't exist yet :)

I suppose it is more of a general idea but bashing in locked doors would be marvelous for a werewolf!

About three or four days without transforming causing a forced shift sounds like a great idea! it would definitely be a better drawback balancing system then most, especially since most of these ideas are all positive improvements, there needs to be a balancing to it, plus I'd use it just for incentive to transform every now and then. Brilliant ideas!

Wow, so much stuff I never even thought of. All I came here for was to ask for a mod to make me able to interact with doors and maybe containers while in beastform. I have two hands afterall, I'm pretty sure I can manipulate things.

So yeah, Things I really liked here.

-Eat animals for time.

-Increased resistance to damage, possibly based on highest armor skill. Feat benefits of highest armor skill transfer to beastform.

-Claw attacks count as One Handed attacks. Feat Benefits of non-weapon specific One Handed feats tranfer to beastform.

-Ability to sneak in beastform. I like the idea of being on all fours for stalking/sneaking. Attacking from stealth could be a bite attack to account for it being slower.

-Skill bonus to Heavy Armor, Light Armor, One Handed and Sneaking while in beastform.

-Able to earn skill in highest armor skill and One Handed skill.

-Able to earn skill in Sneaking, Pickpocketing and Lockpicking.

-Higher Health in beastform, measured in percent of normal Health.

-Retain benefits of magical gear.

-Retain equipment when reverting from beastform.

-Regen faster, possibly increased after feeding for short time.

-Friendly with Werewolves. Werewolves and wolves will defend you in or out of beastform.

-Invulnerability during transformation.

-Instant transformation when reduced to 0 HP with a 20% instant heal. Transformation interrupts killing blows. Works for NPC Werewolves too, unless killing blow is a sneak attack.

-Ability to switch howls at will.

-Use of howls on Werewolves out of beastform induces transformation.

-Ability to detect life.

-Jump higher.

-Ability to manipulate objects, containers and interior doors. Preferably able to loot corpses and feed with a different key, possibly attacking a corpse initiates feeding.

Ability to turn these on or off, probably in the ini, would be good too. I would definately want all of them, then Werewolves would be Werewolves.

Edited by KalSpiro