Blood on The Ice (MS11) not starting

manfromx

I'm not sure if others have posted on this issue yet but searching "blood on the ice skyrim" in google will net you a lot of bug reports with this quest.

There are issues some have while actually on the quest, though luckily these seem to be solvable via the console. However if this quest won't even start for you (and it's a pre-req to buying the house in Windhelm) then the setstage commands do nothing.

Still hoping to find a solution I've looked over the quest as much as I can without the construction kit via the console see all the stages as well as see all the quest variables.

I'm using a save game from quite a bit earlier in the game (about 13 levels back) where the setstage command works for comparison. Then I use the sqv ms11 console command on each save and I do get slightly different results.

On the good saves: a variable called PlayerInStoneQuarter_var is set to False

On the bad saves: PlayerInStoneQuarter_var is set to True

Now this may not be the problem but if it is it seems like I should be able to use a console command to change that variable. I've tried using "set "ms11".PlayerInStoneQuarter to False" with or without the "_var" and I just get unknown spit back to me via the console.

Does anyone know if there is a console command to change variables inside quest scripts?

I can see how this thing might not launch the quest if it eternally thinks I'm in a location I shouldn't be. If it's not the problem maybe being able to set some of these quest vars will yield some results(I want that house!).

Edited by manfromx

I've been trying to work this out, too. Very basic console skills, but I thought that if I told you what I've tried, it might help.

It seems it's tied to completing the Dark Brotherhood questline. What happened for me was I completed DB as well as the Imperial Civil War, was exploring Windhelm, and found a dead Tova (Storm-Shield, I think?) in a house. She had the key to Hjerim, so I popped in there. Found the amulet and Butcher's journals, etc. Never had the quest kick, never had any notes pop up, etc. Read around about it, seemed it was a bug.

What I've tried since:

Disabling Calixto

Complete.Quest MS11b

Bringing back the girl that was killed during the DB questline to life and leaving/returning many times

setstage for various quest marks (10,20, 250)

CAQS (don't recommend doing this)

None of that has worked.

Truthfully, I care more about getting the home from Jorleif and my Thaneship than anything. When I talk to him, he has the prompt to buy the house, but says "There was some unpleasantness in the house, can't sell it yet" more or less. The SV for Jorleif shows:

Alias Steward on BQ01

Alias Steward on FavorQuest 254

Alias Jorleif on MS11PreEssentializing

I'm thinking it's that last one that is preventing him from selling the house. I don't know enough about the console or modding to change that to MS11Completed or whatever it needs to be to just get him to sell me the damn house.

Hope some of this helps.

I'm stuck on this as well. He's inside the ritual room, unkillable, and doesn't do anything, totally stuck.

I want to try setting him nonessential to kill him to see if that helps, but it doesn't work. D:

setessential 0001414A 0 executes, but he still won't die.

0001414A is his BaseID according to the wiki.

EDIT: The patrol autocompleted the moment I got the quest goal, even though it was daytime. He moved to the house at that time, and has never left since. :| The last prior savegame I have is 7 hours too old, so, er. No. :|

Edited by HornedOni

• 2 years later...