Congress says pizza is a vegetable.

marharth

Eh, I remember not a month ago an American friend of mine was trying to convince me why they think Tomato is a fruit. Now pizza is a vegetable because of tomato topping.

http://pichars.org/store/2821_original_E2ktl.jpg

As if America needs more reasons to eat pizza :whistling:

Right. This has got silly. Here are the points:

-Congress has set the amount of vegetable they see as one 'portion' to an amount that would allow schools to serve pizza to their pupils and still be considered to be serving them a 'healthy' meal (due to the 'portion' of vegetables).

About 20% of state schools follow federal recommendations for school lunches. At the end of the day, who cares what Congress does about something it has zero power to enforce?

-The amount congress has set as a 'portion' of vegetables is actually rather small, much smaller than the size a dietitian or other expert would recommend. When you hear about getting your recommended "5 a day", a congress-sanctioned portion does not count for 'one' but much less.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/WashingtonPost/Content/Blogs/ezra-klein/StandingArt/nutrition%20-%20tomato%20paste%20v%20apples.jpg?uuid=oScMlBP6EeGQSB9TUhh-7Q

Edited by lukertin

I'm surprised to see someone admitting this. I used to (emphasis on 'used to') have a Canadian friend who was convinced that all Americans were knuckle-dragging Neanderthals and that everyone in every other country was the height of decorum, education, and class. She never applied this directly to me, but there were subtle hints. I finally got sick and tired of it.

I'm kind of glad to know that people really don't think that America is the only country full of derp. But yeah, the whole 'Pizza is a veggie!' thing is annoying. I told my partner recently I was going to call Domino's for some veggies and we had a good laugh :)

I am an american. I wear gloves to ensure my knuckles don't get torn up while walking on hard surfaces. :D

LOL! I prevent it by wearing high heels :D

I could never walk in those though...... Do I need more ankle strengthening exercises? (and people looked at me funny too..... imagine that. :D)