200 years...

TheSilverRoman

First of, I've decided to put this into the spoiler section as I will be commenting on the Dark Brotherhood, the main quest and other events that may spoil your enjoyment of the game.

Please keep this in mind.

I was honestly surprised to hear that Skyrim is set 200 years after the Oblivion Crisis. I was expecting a difference of 10 years, at most. Similar to the gap of Morrowind and Oblivion.

I commend Bethesda for Skyrim's ideas and quests as well as their willingness to do something new, in regard to the "timeskip".

That being said, why isn't Skyrim "The Elder Scrolls: VII" or some other number?

My reasoning behind this is to not only have a great world, such as Skyrim, be there for the player, but it's also one of the players making.

Imagine this: TES:V would have been Somerset, the main quest dealing with the re-emergance of the Aldmeri Dominion. We would see and interact with a weakening Empire and a growing High Elf power. Similarly, through that experience, we could see the fall of the Dark Brotherhood, as well as other organizations, such as the Thieves Guild. Perhaps another quest could pitch the revolting Argonians against the Telvanni Lords, as it is suggested in Skyrim.

My point simply is, it would have been great to see and experience many of the things that are mentioned in Skyrim.

My personal explanation for why this didn't happen? From a gameplay perspective it is more compelling to build things up again, instead of seeing it all crumble around you.

Don't get me wrong, I love Skyrim. I believe Morrowind has finally had a worthy successor (and not just because they brought back dwemer ruins instead of those bloody Ayleids...).

These are just some of my musing I wanted to share.

Hurr.

1.) Skyrim isnt "The Elder Scrolls: VII" because it is the direct sequel of Oblivion. If you havent noticed, what happens throughout the game has no correlation with what happens in-game. Instead, its proportionate to the number of games.

2.) I honestly think that setting Skyrim 200 years in the future was the best route to go, (Gj, Bethesda) Think about it. If Skyrim happened 10 years after the events of Obllivion, the whole of Skyrim just couldnt exist.

10 years in the future;

-Alduin wouldnt have returned

-You couldnt rebuild the dark brotherhood

-No new emperor

-The rebellion wouldnt exist

I think Silve means that there was a lot more material to explore between Oblivion and Skyrim, not that they shouldn't have chamged Skyrims time. A certian amount of this is covered in The Infernal City (the canon of which is dubious, and whose plotline is still unfinished) but i tend to agree, we are missing out on a lot of great porential material.

My thinking on their reaons is this. The Elder Scrolls has always been about big, world changing events. The Numbidium, Dagoth Ur and the Blight, the Oblivion Crisis. The rise od the Domminion and the war with the Empire are trivial political matters compared to what the series has focused on. They may be important, and monumental in their own way, but their not about to end the world as we know it. That's why they get skipped over.

-Alduin wouldnt have returned

Why not? Just Have the dragon return in 10 years.

-You couldnt rebuild the dark brotherhood

Insert plot device, now the DB has been hunted to near extinction.

-No new emperor

And that is why the Thalmor fight, they see the empire is weak.

-The rebellion wouldnt exist

The Great War caused the rebellion, see above.

It's all about Sheogorath. 10 years wouldn't have been enough time for the champion to lose themselves to the role of a Daedric prince.

Having met my alter ego... I was rather disappointed to see that he let himself go that far. But that probably explains the downfall of the thieves guild, DB and mages guild. I mean... he was head of all of them and then he goes mad.

Personally I also thought that it was a pity, that everything I had built in Oblivion was gone, that my guilds had crumbled and the Empire as well as Skyrim were crumbling for the last 200 years. But in a way, this sense of dejection, the miserable feeling of failure through no fault of my own and the decay is part of Skyrim and one of the reasons it's a great game. Though I would personally love a way to rebuild the city around the academy and make myself king...

I don't seem to immense myself into the reality the game gives. I've been the same character since Morrowind and she's aged with each new chapter. Lol. :dance: Things get too complicated for me when I try to understand everything that's going on.

LIke, reading some of the books just leaves me with a big question mark hovering above my head. Have never been good with history. And don't think I'll ever be.

I just try to go with the flow of the story line. Hoping I don't make too many mistakes with my chosen ignorance on some subjects.

I think it's an inherently flawed perspective to assume that the Theives Guild in Morrowind is even remotely linked to the one in Oblivion, and that either of those is related to the Skyrim Theives Guild. That particular guild seems to be more of a general name for groups of theves in various provinces, and i would be very surprised if they had any over arching command structure. It seems more likely that they are a dispairate group of organizations who each use the name but are not related to eachother in any other way.

The Sheogorath thing remains open. We don't know what happened to Jygalyg ( probably spelt that wrong) or if the Shaeogorath we meet is your old character. It would be an interesting way of explaining what happened to the Hero of Kvatch mind you, having him completely subsumed by the personality of Shaeogorath...

As for the events of Skyrim themselves, they required some dramatic changes to the TES world to make work, and that takes time. The 200 year timeline was to facilitate that. Yes, we missed out on adventures in that transitional world, but it's given us a broken world that we can work to rebuild in comming games. The actual events of Skyrim could not have worked shortly after Oblivion. I think you're kidding yourself if you think they could. You needed time for the formation of the Domminion, the decline of the Empire, the build up to war and recover, the length of time it takes for tempers to fester in order to create a civil war. These are multi generational changes that need to take effect.