200 years...

TheSilverRoman

Yeah a mod could work, kinda like a flashback sort of thing...like your character reads a book and your suddenly thrust into an imagining in the dragonbornes mind of what happened from a soldiers perspective or something...

Surely this is a really simple reason?

In those 200 years everything has gone wrong for the Empire, now there may be a few here who would enjoy playing a game where you essentially lose it all at the end, but for the average gamer they want to be a hero, they want to win.

There is no role the player could take on in those 200 years where they could be a hero, nothing good happened for the Empire, so they skipped it and put most of it in dialogue and books in the game as references/lore.

It also sets itself up nicely for more heroic adventures in taking the fight to the Dominion, liberating lands and rebuilding the Empire.

I think it's an inherently flawed perspective to assume that the Theives Guild in Morrowind is even remotely linked to the one in Oblivion, and that either of those is related to the Skyrim Theives Guild. That particular guild seems to be more of a general name for groups of theves in various provinces, and i would be very surprised if they had any over arching command structure. It seems more likely that they are a dispairate group of organizations who each use the name but are not related to eachother in any other way.

I'd wager they are similar in name only, much like the Morrowind Thieves Guild having no relation to the Cyrodiil Thieves Guild besides having the same name.

The Sheogorath thing remains open. We don't know what happened to Jygalyg ( probably spelt that wrong) or if the Shaeogorath we meet is your old character. It would be an interesting way of explaining what happened to the Hero of Kvatch mind you, having him completely subsumed by the personality of Shaeogorath...

True, we don't know what happened to Jyggalag, but it's implied Sheogorath is the Champion based on his dialogue about Martin. I wonder what the developers have planned for Jyggalag. I doubt Jyggalag would try to retake the Asylums now that he's been freed of the curse he attains when he overtakes the Isles. He might try to make his own domain of Order elsewhere in Oblivion, like the Chimera of Desolation or Soul Cairn. I'm curious how the other Princes would react to Jyggalag now being free.

I miss the Mage's Guild and the Dark Brotherhood and the Thives Guild. Now Oblivion doesn't feel like it's worth playing anymore.

Well, the Mages Guild was officially disbanded after the Mannimarco fiasco, and the rise of the Domminion. Admitedly, it is somewhat depressing, considering all the effort one put into keeping the thing afloat, but i guess thats what happens when you outlaw a particular school of magic and start a civil war amidst your ranks. Sometimes you just can't recover from that.

The Dark Brotherhood isn't really that different... At least not in the end. If anything, the Dark Brotherhood quests end off on a 'hopefull' note for them, implying that the Brotherhood is rebuilding and on its way to returning to its glory days (Its state in Oblivion was hardly its height).

Again, the Theives Guild in Skyrim likely has nothing to do with the one from Oblivion. And by nothing, i mean literally nothing. If you consider Morrowind, that land had 2 Theives Guilds going at once.

The whole crux of this issue is that, at the end of Oblivion, you give the world HOPE for survival. You don't out and out save it, or any of the guilds and organizations you worked for. The Fighters Guild, we are led to beleive, survived, though we don't know what capacity it serves. The Mages Guild, though dissbanded, was reformed into that Mage group you run into in Nzlift. The Theives Guild of Cyrodill is probably still doing its thing.

In other words, the organizations in Skyrim are not at all related to those in Oblivion. In fact, they out and out tell you that the Collage of Winterhold has always been independant from the Mages guild. As such, theres no reason to be depressed about the changes, because everything you do in Oblivion still has a positive impact on history.

I'm curious how the other Princes would react to Jyggalag now being free.

I could actually see this as being a future expansion. It's somewhat implied that when the other Daedra cursed him, Jyggalag was the most powerful Daedra, or at least their powers had not yet become so solidified, meaning it was probably in either the Dawn Age or earlier. Now, with each Daedric Prince so firmly established, i doubt Jyggalag would have such an easy time gaining so much power. Oblivion also doesn't exactly follow normal time, so he could have barely left the Shivering Isles, or he could have had thousands of years already to build his new realm.

But all the Mage's Guild outlawed was Necromancy, which is far from unreasonable, because in every fantasy type setting it is consistently shown to be a very evil art that leads to corruption and all sort of awful things. (like in DA2, where this fact was played up to a huge extreme...yikes.) WHY was it disbanded after the Mannimarco insanity? I thought we fixed it, we killed him didn't we? Hannibal even sacrificed his life for this. And then all appeared to be well after it was done. What could have gone wrong? :(

And I haven't played through Skyrim's DB yet but I've heard a lot of stuff about it that I don't like - I've heard that it's quite disappointingly short, above all else; the Brotherhood doesn't even follow Sithis's Tenets or hear the Night Mother anymore... oh, and they end up betraying you. I'm not happy.

But all the Mage's Guild outlawed was Necromancy, which is far from unreasonable, because in every fantasy type setting it is consistently shown to be a very evil art that leads to corruption and all sort of awful things. (like in DA2, where this fact was played up to a huge extreme...yikes.) WHY was it disbanded after the Mannimarco insanity? I thought we fixed it, we killed him didn't we? Hannibal even sacrificed his life for this. And then all appeared to be well after it was done. What could have gone wrong? :(

I'd imagine having half the guild killed off during the whole affair, the death of the orriginal Arch Mage, and the dissapearance of his successor (Who became Shaeogorath, we are led to beleive) not to mention the increasing independance of the High Elves, who were prominant features in the Mages Guild, all contributed to its downfall. Though, i suppose 'dissbandment' may be an overstatement, as it still exists after a fassion in that mage group you meet in that one ruin... You know, all the dead guys.

I tend to blame the Thalmor invasion in combination with the CoC going crazy after turning into Sheogorath for disrupting all of the old guilds.

The mage guild's headquarters in the Imperial Capitol was probably looted and destroyed during the sack, splintering the already weakened organization. The Dark Brotherhood is an interesting case as it looks like it relied too heavily on the leadership of the listener, who disappeared after becoming Sheogorath.

The fighter guild, already hurting from the Blackwood mess was the most likely to have been further decimated by the great war. It is odd that there's no mention of them in Skyrim though since they were originally supposed to have a presence in every Imperial province. Has anyone found anything in the game that mentions the old guild?

Only the thieves guild was likely to have escaped the worst of the war though, as mentioned earlier, they aren't the same guild as the one in Skyrim. Even if it wasn't, it is conceivable that they splintered without the gray fox to act as the ultimate authority. TES organizations really rely too much on autocratic authority to get anything done.

The night mother is way too picky perhaps? Canon wise, the general assumption for the CoC seems to be that he may have done every quest in Oblivion, good or bad, which wouldn't be too difficult to imagine if he became Sheogorath. Besides, after 200 years of being a vampire,it isn't too much of a leap to find out your character goes nuts from boredom and became Sheogorath after a while.