Copy Protection

ResidentWeevil2077

Copy Protection  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the use of copy protection measures such as those found on some audio CDs or those found on games?

• Yea
    • Nay

I fully and wholeheartedly support any sort of copy protection, copyright laws, etc., because the producers who release the game, movie, music, etc. are entitled to the profits for their products, and copy protection is a way to do that. A capitalist economy is made for the producer, not the consumer.

Government regulation is good?

...Do you actually think the government getting involved will be any better to you, the consumer? No, no it will not.

Government regulation is bad?

The best economy for the people is a traditional economy... Traditional economies just suck overall.

Look, I realize that, at least for the most part, you know what the words you're using mean. However, do you know what they mean when you put them together in sentences? Think about the answer to that question.

@ Marxist ßastard: The only reason gov't would grant monopolies to companies is if they get a share in the profits of whatever goods are being sold. So in essence, that would mean the gov't is still involved in the economy indirectly. And that's when things go from bad to worse.

@ ninja_lord: In reference to Sony, I was referring to them as "Sony-BMG", and while they may carry the Sony branding, they really have nothing to do with their parent company. And when in the hell did I ever say "communism is the way to go"? NEVER. I believe in gov't intervention in the economy, yes, but not so much that it has no benefit to the people OR the country. That's what's great about Canada's "mixed" economy. In Canada, we have slightly more gov't intervention than in the US, but of course, we still have our fair share of Big Business screwing over the consumer.

I can tell you right now that when the day a company screws you over for a load of money, you won't be saying the things about not having gov't regulations in place. Think about it. All what you said ninja is one huge contradiction. Either you support gov't intervention, or you don't. From you stated, it's clear you want Big Business and gov't to take your hard earned cash from you.

@ Marxist ßastard: The only reason gov't would grant monopolies to companies is if they get a share in the profits of whatever goods are being sold. So in essence, that would mean the gov't is still involved in the economy indirectly. And that's when things go from bad to worse.

You believe copyright should be abolished, then?

Well, when it comes to huge corporations, the government tends to soften up, they certainly can do with tax.

@Abramul

Well, I'd agree with copyright, if the intellectual property has no protection, there's bound to be many authors of much things of the media cease appearing as they knew that they would not be appreciated. I would just prefer, if the PROTECTION for copyright is softened up.

You believe copyright should be abolished, then?

No... I don't think that has anything to do with copy protection (which actually is more like "copy restriction"). I think the whole thing about why I posted this up is that many people have a hard time trying to figure out just how much protection (or restriction, however you look at it) companies can have while not infringing upon our privacy. THAT'S the $1,000,000 question, I think - just how much protection (restriction) is too much?

Just something I remembered about CD-protection: has anyone heard of StarForce before? That crap takes up space (it made a 1.5 GB game take 4.2 GB instead... now THAT'S crap...), and sometimes made the game unplayable.

Yeah... And it takes only 5 minutes longer to crack the first time. I don't know why they even bother anymore. A simple cd check, that's all a game needs. Or something that is impossible to crack and doesn't screw you over.

Just something I remembered about CD-protection: has anyone heard of StarForce before? That crap takes up space (it made a 1.5 GB game take 4.2 GB instead... now THAT'S crap...), and sometimes made the game unplayable.

Yeah... And it takes only 5 minutes longer to crack the first time. I don't know why they even bother anymore. A simple cd check, that's all a game needs. Or something that is impossible to crack and doesn't screw you over.

Bioshock took awhile, IIRC. It was because of its Internet confirmation stuff.

In the log run most copy protections only do one thing... annoy the hell out of the legitimate users! Sooner or later all protections get cracked (they said Vista was crack protected until some people came up with versions that can even download upgrades from Microsoft, install them and still function like a genuine Vista) so most are able to get passed the activation. But as a legitimate user you're stuck with a lot of problems with software that you paid for. No company has been able to come up with a decent copy-protection... but then again you can't let your copyrighted work get copied that easy, now can you?

So...the companies that try to protect their own creation are somehow working with the sad, pathetic losers who can't get laid living in their mothers' basements who make viruses because they have nothing better to do? Somehow I don't believe that.

So...the companies that try to protect their own creation are somehow working with the sad, pathetic losers who can't get laid living in their mothers' basements who make viruses because they have nothing better to do? Somehow I don't believe that.

Of course you do realize I'm not serious about that - *sigh* you take life a little too seriously, kiddo :rolleyes: ...

Archived