Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pineapplerum

Ok guys... I've never posted in one of these forums but I felt so strongly about this occurance that I felt the need to register and post... I myself play the game on a regular basis but am not currently to this part with this character, my original character, I did NOT kill paarthurnax, I probably won't on this one either... BUT my fiancee is at this point and I swear he has made sooooo many new characters before reaching this part for the third time, and for the first time... He killed paarthurnax :( I was sad... I felt awful when he one, two hit sliced and diced this once beast, now gentle creature... I can't believe how bad I felt... Thanks, that is all.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys... I've never posted in one of these forums but I felt so strongly about this occurance that I felt the need to register and post... I myself play the game on a regular basis but am not currently to this part with this character, my original character, I did NOT kill paarthurnax, I probably won't on this one either... BUT my fiancee is at this point and I swear he has made sooooo many new characters before reaching this part for the third time, and for the first time... He killed paarthurnax :( I was sad... I felt awful when he one, two hit sliced and diced this once beast, now gentle creature... I can't believe how bad I felt... Thanks, that is all

Ok guys... I've never posted in one of these forums but I felt so strongly about this occurance that I felt the need to register and post... I myself play the game on a regular basis but am not currently to this part with this character, my original character, I did NOT kill paarthurnax, I probably won't on this one either... BUT my fiancee is at this point and I swear he has made sooooo many new characters before reaching this part for the third time, and for the first time... He killed paarthurnax :( I was sad... I felt awful when he one, two hit sliced and diced this once beast, now gentle creature... I can't believe how bad I felt... Thanks, that is all

Yes, there is no way I could ever do it...no matter what kinda character I play (can't do evil characters though), I could never kill Paarthurnax.

To the extent that such places can really be called "lairs" (implying that it is a natural place for a dragon to hang out as well as its ownership by said dragon),

It's the official term for those areas, actually, at least according to the ES wiki.

all I can say is that I am never the one to fire the first shot. My Dragonborn is simply looking for Word Walls to enhance his understanding of the dragon tongue, not to start a fight. Said dragons do not even give him the courtesy of an Eastwood-style "Get off my lawn," instead it is attack, attack, attack. My Dragonborn cannot be held responsible for their error in judgment.

Right. But if your Dragonborn does know there's a dragon there - for example if you find it sleeping, or at Bonestrewn Crest where it's usually circling around in plain sight roaring at anything that comes close... In that case you don't go over there and kill it just so you can read some old words on an ancient wall and maybe loot a treasure chest, right?

I mean, eventually your Dragonborn should have figured out just how territorial dragons are and that going near their lairs does count as a provocation.

What i don't understand is that the blades SERVE the Dragonborn, If i want Paarthurnax to be alive then by all means they should should follow my decision. Really don't know why i should be choosing between the two... Edited by zakull

What i don't understand is that the blades SERVE the Dragonborn

The Blades SAY they serve the Dragonborn, but that isn't the same thing as actually serving. You should know something is fishy right from the beginning, even if you never hear Arngeir's warning about the Blades. Delphine blackmails you into contacting her, demands that you prove yourself to her at Kynesgrove, then sends you on a series of missions to carry out HER agenda rather than yours.

She says she's "just trying to help", but it turns out that she is just trying to GET help. Your help. Once you've got her set up all snug and cozy in Skyhaven Temple, she has no further use for you unless you're willing to knuckle under and follow her orders. The gloves come off and you can see that they just want to use you.

(Granted, Arngeir isn't in a perfect position to be throwing stones, given that he has been concealing information to try to manipulate you. If it hadn't been for your contact with the Blades, you might never have known this. However, he does back down when confronted, and I find the Greybeards far more trustworthy in the long run even if not perfect.)

They are not the Blades. They disgrace the name of the original Blades. I hate those imposters.

So true! And if you ever played the "Reclaiming Sancre Tor" Oblivion mod, you'd feel the loss of the true Blades quite keenly.

What i don't understand is that the blades SERVE the Dragonborn

The Blades SAY they serve the Dragonborn, but that isn't the same thing as actually serving. You should know something is fishy right from the beginning, even if you never hear Arngeir's warning about the Blades. Delphine blackmails you into contacting her, demands that you prove yourself to her at Kynesgrove, then sends you on a series of missions to carry out HER agenda rather than yours.

She says she's "just trying to help", but it turns out that she is just trying to GET help. Your help. Once you've got her set up all snug and cozy in Skyhaven Temple, she has no further use for you unless you're willing to knuckle under and follow her orders. The gloves come off and you can see that they just want to use you.

(Granted, Arngeir isn't in a perfect position to be throwing stones, given that he has been concealing information to try to manipulate you. If it hadn't been for your contact with the Blades, you might never have known this. However, he does back down when confronted, and I find the Greybeards far more trustworthy in the long run even if not perfect.)

I agree. In Oblivion the Blades seemed an honourable group, while Delphine and Esbern are like gutter rats, who use you for their own ends. Paarthurnax, doesn't 'owe' you anything, yet helps you and ask's for nothing in return other than a bit of conversation. Once I listen to the old fool read the Alduins Wall story, I leave them and never return, but I will one time just to use the Nightingale Subterfuge on them and watch them fight each other for my own amusement :smile:

Edited by breakwind