Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"'Elves' is a translation, not perhaps now very suitable, but originally good enough, of Quendi. They are represented as a race similar in appearance (and more so the further back) to Men, and in former days of the same stature. I will not here go into their differences from Men! [if only he had] But I suppose that the Quendi are in fact in these histories very little akin to the Elves and Fairies of Europe;..."

JRRT - Letters #144, April 1954

"Also I now deeply regret having used Elves, though this is a word in ancestry and original meaning suitable enough. But the disastrous debasement of this word, in which Shakespeare played an unforgivable part, has really overloaded it with regrettable tones, which are too much to overcome."

JRRT - Letters #151, September 1954

http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/Ears.html

I have read the books at least 10 -15 times and I don't remember him saying anything about leaf shaped in the books themselves. Some have translated some of his elvish to mean that but others disagree.

I was thinking about this too...

I miss the Oblivion Elves.

lol wut?

do you remember how they even looked?

http://www.thisblogrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/all-videos_adoringfan.jpg

puke.... looks like a human with pointy ears and slight change of skin tone.

Skyrim elves look way more morrowind like.

• 1 month later...

What is everyone talking about? I love the new Mer! They're absolutely astonishing, much better looking than they were in any other game! I love how they actually look different than the other races instead being just tall, and slightly slanted eyes. They have a beautiful, new, unique look to them that I just love. I think all of the fan girls are getting in a tizzy because it's hard to make the guys look like girls in this game :/ I love them. My Altmer male is very sexy and my Altmer female is very beautiful.

I have to agree with the DA2 part though. They horribly destroyed their Elves. Looks like the fangirls won in that game.

It's the old Morrowind tree-bark look that has already scared off the gamers in 2002, till the coming of Rhedd's low polygon faces and the following triumph of the elves as player chars for the next 10 years. That triumph has ended now.

I'm not bashing women gamers, it's just that a lot of these fangirls like girly men, and it was easy to create very feminine looking characters (of any race, but especially Mer).

I love how the Mer look very different now. They look very beautiful, but as a different race, very easily distinguishable from humans.

Don't you read what I say? I've said that the new elves, don't call them Mer for this would automatically include the Orcs, aren't that new, they're just modern replicas of the old ones of 2002 from Morrowind. And already these vanilla figures of old didn't run that well, to say the least. I guess the fact that you like their look doesn''t change the impression of the vast majority of gamers: they don't look good enough to be playable as PC, they don't match the beauty ideal, if you prefer that. And we normally distinguish elves from humans by their ears and their body size and not by a hatched, not to say furrowed face.

In the end it is just a question of identification with the figure: Do I want to play a lunger or not. My understanding of an elf is that he/she has to be twice as beautiful as his human counterpart ... and not twice as ugly.