Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

'Zombified Romulans' does not make for a very discriptive explination of ones tastes.

Fine fine.... now that I am back from class, I can give you a better explanation since zombified romulan isnt descriptive enough for you.

Before I start though: THIS IS MY OPINION. And mostly applies to the dark elves.

Forehead bone thing that gives them that v-ridge looks ridiculous and has no place on elves.

Their faces are far too gaunt, you cant adjust their shallowness at all.

Bags under the eyes makes them all look really old or half-dead.

Laugh lines on the high and wood elves are too pronounced and again, make them look older.

I dont know if its just the character creator, but the lip shapes are almost all... Deliverance-esque. lol Some of them look ok.

Jawlines on are far too broad and heavy on the girls.

I am for the most part ok with the eye shapes, but the makeup looks terrible.

Finally, dark elf skin colour is too pale for my liking.

We have folk on here using ad hominem (hominid?) attacks against those who dont like the looks with claims of anime watching; like thats a bad thing. If you guys actually watched anime, you would know that your claims are silly since the default elves look more like anime - or to be more exact, Brian Froud's elves, than the modded versions do.

Again, this is all my opinion, I couldnt care less if you dont agree with me, I am not here to change your opinion. ;)

This. Is. Not. A. f***ing. Anime.

How someone mods their game and wants it to look has no bearing on your game. So it shouldn't matter to you or anyone if there are anime-looking mods out there.

Anime mods I have no problem with, you're right about that. But vanilla Skyrim isn't.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of argument here about elves, which is itself pointless. The creatures you are referring to in TES are not elves. They are mer. "Elves" is a term used by imperials to describe the various races of mer because the imperials represent "normal humans" and as such, they see the mer in the same manner that we tend to, as elves. Recall that, according to lore, Tamriel was originally occupied by only mer and the beast races. Men came with an army of 500 from another continent, settled in Skyrim, and eventually conquered Daggerfell and Cyrodil. Another invasion by the Akaviri (an insectoid race) failed, otherwise there would probably be no men at all. A few thousand years later and there are three distinctive races of man, two fewer races of mer, and one changed race of mer.

Also, note that only the Dwemer were hearty enough to live in Skyrim, northern Vvardenfell and Solstheim before men came. Any of the other mer and beast races that survive in Skyrim would have to be especially cold-hardened versions of their peoples. Read: ugly.

Now, in Oblivion, the races had it easier because of the temperate climate.

I am a lot more upset that the Vampires are a copy of Cyrodillic vamps. In Oblivion you learned that Skyrimic vampires hunted by pulling their victims under the ice. (You get a lot of lore from a book that you read on the cure vampirism questline) Nothing like that in Skyrim. Fail.

Bethesda is just too damn good at ruining their own lore

How can they ruin their own lore, they created it, they decide what direction it goes in and your personal dislike is never going to change that. And then there are the posters in this topic saying that its a "problem" that needs "fixing". Really, if you see the art direction in Elder Scrolls as a broken part of the games then maybe you should be playing something else.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mr. George Lucas...

It is possible to wreck something that you've actually created yourself, but I'm not going to take sides on this particular issue because I'm not a TES lore junky. Just making a point of order.

As for the look of the elves, I personally find them revolting. That being said, I simply prefer pretty looking elves. But I do respect others who prefer a more alien like appearance. It's just not for me. I'll be playing humans until a mod comes around to give me the fae elves that I can appreciate.

Yeah, well...ummmm..Mr. Lucas I for one am not holding my breath on that one. In the mean time I think I'll bring in a couple of fire extinguishers, getting pretty hot in here. :tongue:

oh yeah...not crazy about the humans either, but...I'll just go with it. :thumbsup: Good stuff.... :whistling:

Edited by BarefootWarrior

So everyone who lives in cold climates is ugly in order to survive the sub arctic conditions? lol Dont let the northern europeans hear that...

Also the Skyrim vampires sound like a take on the Rusalka, Which were russian water spirits of drowned girls that would pull victims underwater so they wouldnt be lonely.

Also, note that only the Dwemer were hearty enough to live in Skyrim, northern Vvardenfell and Solstheim before men came. Any of the other mer and beast races that survive in Skyrim would have to be especially cold-hardened versions of their peoples. Read: ugly.

You're forgetting the Falmer, who occupied all of Skyrim before the Nedic settlers first came from Atmora.

I am a lot more upset that the Vampires are a copy of Cyrodillic vamps. In Oblivion you learned that Skyrimic vampires hunted by pulling their victims under the ice. (You get a lot of lore from a book that you read on the cure vampirism questline) Nothing like that in Skyrim. Fail

This has no place here. Like... At all.

Anyway, i'm starting to see the crux of the issue here. And that seems to be the angularity of the features. Those who have been kind enough to explain their tastes have all noted that the jaws, chins, cheekbones and cheeks of the Elven races, particularly the Dunmer, are too sharply contrasting. This, of course, exists in human anatomy as well, i just need to look ay the GF to see it.

In particular, i do agree on the gauntness of the cheeks, and the abysmal job Bethesda does on lips. I know that the intent with the Dunmer in particular was to give them a more rugged appearance, but they've been pushed in many ways to the extreme. Of course, the gaunt cheeks also excentuate the cheekbones and the jawline, but as you ahve pointed out this can make the jaw seem too wide, which creates a masculine look.

I think that, by and large, the main conflict here is the lack of choice. If there were more options on the sliders, and the width/height sliders had more range, this wouldn't be an issue.

Also, Pestilence, it was the lizard Akiviri which invaded, not insectoid. Well, the Snake People, to be specific...

If I was your gf, I'd slap you if you called me angular. Thats not complimentary at all. lol

And yes, I think those of us who are discontent with this dumbing down of the character creator is at the heart of everyones complaint. If we had Oblivion-style character creation, we could make elves how we want them to look.

Eh, she knows i apreciate the artistic perspective of her features. When she doesn't wear those damn, god aweful giant sunglasses anyway....

Anywho, i would have loved to have had the same style of modification as in Oblivion, but with the unique skulls used for the various species. The shenanigans one could have witht he Argonians would be more than worth the wait for them to finish that system...

Still, i think the choice to limit the options came in large part due to the attempt to get the game out on time. Beth has said that there were many things they had to peel back on to make sure that they didn;t sacrifice the volume of things to do in favor of one or two activities.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I went back into Oblivion and created an Elven warrior. I have to agree that the Elves in Oblivion are much better (to my eye anyway) then the Elves in Skyrim. I think it is because the features are more rounded? Does that make any sense? I then went into DA Origins and created an Elf there, and to me, this was my favorite. But, again, that's what I perceive as an Elf. More human, not as tall.

Now don't jump all over me on my view of an Elf, but I think it is interesting reading about the different features that have been described so far. I'm not even going to mention the Elves in DA2, that was a bit over the top for me, that being said, many liked the look.

So my question is, for all of you who have started with Morrowind ( I have not played it ), is it that the Elves in this game have changed that much since Morrowind? Is that why some of you don't like the look or features shown in Skyrim.? I'm just curious, been many good comments in here on the subject.