Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

I think the issue is that in Oblivion they looked nothing like the Elves of previous games. Now they once again look like TES Elves, and some people are pleased, other think they look too inhuman.

Again, a lot of the problem comes from the lack of range on the new creation system, but i feel that a major part of it has to do with the creation scheme used in Oblivion. Even the Khajit and Argonians used essentially the same skull. Now the Elves, Humans and Beast races all have different skulls, which create definition and uniqueness between species.

Of course, just as you, some people prefer the more human look. I'm not one of them. It lacks the exotic and unnatural flair i expect of elves. Though, i am growing to understand WHY people don't like that, and understanding is half of what i need to convince them :P

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you need to convince us though? The world would be incredibly dull if everyone thought the same way. Isnt it enough that you think one way and I dont think the same?

I am all for exotic and unique, but I also like pretty (yeah yeah yeah, its what I like, sue me or something lol), I also have varying standards of what I think is sexy and beautiful too. So you cant pigeonhole me as saying I want all my characters too look like super models or its a failure. :P

I pretty much hate my bosmer. And I spent forever trying to make her just look ....well, more attractive.

Hell it's roleplaying and it's fantasy. I can look fugly and old in everyday life!! For me, personally, the look of my characters makes a huge difference to my attachment to them.

I'm living with it though. Waiting for the mods. That's the nicest; people who like them the way they are just won't bother with the mod and people who don't will. Win win! :-)

Bethesda is just too damn good at ruining their own lore

How can they ruin their own lore, they created it, they decide what direction it goes in and your personal dislike is never going to change that. And then there are the posters in this topic saying that its a "problem" that needs "fixing". Really, if you see the art direction in Elder Scrolls as a broken part of the games then maybe you should be playing something else.

Most of the art direction is great. But they CONTRADICT THEIR LORE. Wrap your head around that problem, then we'll talk.

Most of the art direction is great. But they CONTRADICT THEIR LORE. Wrap your head around that problem, then we'll talk.

Where? Admitedly, the timetable for the whole Dragon War is a little dubious, but as far as their artistic design i see no contradictions...

Why do you need to convince us though? The world would be incredibly dull if everyone thought the same way. Isnt it enough that you think one way and I dont think the same?

Because i like to argue for the sake of argueing, and trying to convince people of things is part of feeding my addiction :P

I like the direction Bethesda took Elves with in Skyrim. It's apparent to me that they put in a lot of work trying to make all of the ten Races look as distinct as possible. Personally, when I play an Elf character I want it to have a distinct vibe that distinguishes them from Human. Pretty faces and pointy ears aren't enough for me.

I also think that they were trying to make Elves seem more haughty and austere and condescending as the game lore certainly paints them that way. They really look like the disposed masters of a world that they used to rule over and can't fully acclimate to the newer, more cosmopolitan mix of races sharing power. When I look at the Elf faces Bethesda made all of this lore comes through in their facial structure and expressions. It's cool. If I want to make a super cute girl there are 4 other Human races I can easily do that with.

Edited by CalibanX

that looks horrible.... looks like she is ready to enter a beauty pageant and doesnt even look like an elf....

Trollolol.... you must have spent a lot of time thinking that bit of trollspeak up.

I like her, which is what counts. She has lovely pointy ears. And I was illustrating what it was possible to do with the better face sliders in Oblivion.

Now this from bpestilence I find baffling;-

"Any of the other mer and beast races that survive in Skyrim would have to be especially cold-hardened versions of their peoples. Read: ugly."

And why would that be? In actual fact I have known a number of Nordic people in real life, some of whom were Swedes from very close to the Arctic Circle, and they tend to be remarkably clear skinned and retain their youthful looks - I believe the Swedes are the longest lived nation in Europe. It is the sun in hotter climes that damages skin the most. So there is no real reason why Skyrim folk should be especially wizened, particularly the elves who have such a long life span and would, I assume, age slower.

that looks horrible.... looks like she is ready to enter a beauty pageant and doesnt even look like an elf....

Trollolol.... you must have spent a lot of time thinking that bit of trollspeak up.

I like her, which is what counts. She has lovely pointy ears. And I was illustrating what it was possible to do with the better face sliders in Oblivion.

Now this from bpestilence I find baffling;-

"Any of the other mer and beast races that survive in Skyrim would have to be especially cold-hardened versions of their peoples. Read: ugly."

And why would that be? In actual fact I have known a number of Nordic people in real life, some of whom were Swedes from very close to the Arctic Circle, and they tend to be remarkably clear skinned and retain their youthful looks - I believe the Swedes are the longest lived nation in Europe. It is the sun in hotter climes that damages skin the most. So there is no real reason why Skyrim folk should be especially wizened, particularly the elves who have such a long life span and would, I assume, age slower.

I read one of the books in Skyrim and I think it said Elves had a thousand year life span. You bring up a good point regarding the clear skin and youthful looks.

Just wanted to chime in. I agree that "Beth messed up our elves" if you mean that they changed them from Oblivion. But I do like the new elves. I think the "alien look" reinforces the fact the elves aren't just humans with pointy ears, but rather they are different creatures with their own histories, cultures, etc.

(I didn't read the entire thread. Sorry if my point of view does not contribute anything useful.)