Mod Recommendations for (my) "perfect skyrim"

SmoothBrainMonkey

Hi all,

Long time lurker and mod user, minimal contributor (sorry..). Just re-downloaded Skyrim for the summer and was wondering if you fine peeps might be able to recommend some mods to me.

To narrow down the recommendations, I thought I might describe what I'm looking for (please note this is not a request for a new mod to be written, just asking for recommendations on existing mods that might achieve what I'd like): my "perfect skyrim".

My perfect Skyrim would be one in which iron and steel equipment is always useful, and higher grades of equipment are a noticeable step up, but not required by any means. I'd imagine it similar to the Morrowind loot mod, and that is one I plan on downloading (thoughts?).

However, I'm also interested in making the higher grades of equipment unique in their own ways. For example, orcish armor giving some of the highest armor in the game, but also some of the highest weight. Dragon bone armor granting huge resistance to magic, but less physical defense, etc. This is something I have been unable to find so far and would love some input on.

The only other real change I'd like to see through a mod would be how levels work for enemies. I really abhor that a level 10 or so character can encounter a level 20 enemy and lose the fight simply because of stats (or lack thereof, really). I'd love to be able to start a new character, and be able to kill most humanoid enemies (like guards, bandits, etc.) with some skill, luck, and patience. At the same time, I would think that killing a dragon or troll is achieved through forethought and planning rather than simply doing more damage than them. Essentially making fire-resistant armor a requirement for dragon slaying, or frost-resistance for fighting ice wraiths, etc.

This requirement is by far the hardest one to satisfy I'd imagine, since everyone probably has different definitions of how difficult an enemy should be. I've read through a few mods on combat, like Deadly Combat, Deadlier Dragons, etc. and I'm not sure if it's what I'd want or not.

In a few words, I'm just really displeased with how Skyrim's combat scales as time goes on and PC level increases and I'd love to find some mods to resolve that.

I'd really appreciate any input/recommendations, or if you'd like to discuss your own 'perfect skyrim' I'd love to hear it! Maybe you've got an amazing set up already, and if so you should share it with us!

Cheers,

Forum Noob.

Well I don't know of any mods that do what you want specifically, but you might want to take a look at "Dragon Combat Overhaul by ApolloDown" the mod makes it so that you have to plan your attacks. It should be easy for you to adjust the stats of the bandits and other leveled npcs in the ck to make them weaker but not a lower level. Morrowloot seems to be a highly recommended mod, but I've never tried it myself. Other than that, I don't know of any mods that would achieve this, but if you want a list of mods that breathe new life into skyrim then I could help you with that. Let me know what you think.

That sounds perfect, I'm gonna check out that Dragon combat overhaul for sure then.

I was thinking the same thing for adjusting stats, creation kit seems to be the way to go since so much of it depends on personal preference.

As for mod recommendations, that'd be fantastic. What've you got??

I would recommend "Realistic Needs and Diseases by perseid9" this mod isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it does add a few cool features that give a refreshing change. I would also recommend "Tamriel Reloaded Trees by 32cm" this mod has nothing to do with the gameplay but it adds several new trees that give you a little change of scenery. "Simply Knock by Chesko" is another nice mod. "Lanterns of Skyrim-All in One" is another nice one as well as this mod http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21587/ You may also want to try "Immersive Creatures" and "Riften - Theif Edition by GrandDukeAdense". I could really go on for awhile but I'll stop with my last recommendation "Stakado Cinemascope ENB". It is a very performance friendly ENB and it looks just as good as any. Hope THis helps :)

Just remember if you change the base game expect glitches and beware of conflicts there after. I stay away from overhauls as the longer the game you play ie higher levels the more likely the problems will mount. Volumes have been wrote on this research and mod accordingly a stable game is the key anything that changes the stability of the game is not worth it.