Proper Norse Naming

Terralventhe

As it were, the name Sigfríður appears a few times in Old Icelandic sagas, as I recall it, making it a name that was around at least as early as the 900's to early 1000's.

Though I can at least chalk that one up to there being Norse equivalents of each other with names like Kristinn and Kristín and such.

At any rate, between the obvious number of Scandinavians here on Nexus, ya can't tell me you don't end up snickering just a little bit when you see a woman named Bjartur or Ari. And with how many of us there seem to be, equivalents would be easily created as replacement names.

Edited by Terralventhe

Out of all of these replies, I would be more inclined to trust in the native Icelander when it comes to Old Norse names and gender conventions. Icelandic is pretty much stuck 1000 years in the past. :P

LOL It's true, but that's part of what makes it so awesome. I can look at old scrolls and understand them, which is pretty badass when you think about it. Also, your name is truly ironic given the subject of Icelanders in the past.

Out of all of these replies, I would be more inclined to trust in the native Icelander when it comes to Old Norse names and gender conventions. Icelandic is pretty much stuck 1000 years in the past. :P

LOL It's true, but that's part of what makes it so awesome. I can look at old scrolls and understand them, which is pretty badass when you think about it. Also, your name is truly ironic given the subject of Icelanders in the past.

Nexus wouldn't allow me to use í or ð so I was forced towards the modern spelling. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Agreed, a renaming mod would be good (but watch for any in-dialogue references to other character's names).

Regarding male and female names, there's always Marion Morrison (a.k.a. John Wayne) and Shirley Crabtree (a.k.a. wrestler "Dig Daddy") - a case of "Surely you can't be serious?" "Yes, I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley!"

And how many of us have Nordic-based character names when running a Nord? My current character (female Nord) is Runa Olasdottir, which (based purely on naming sites) means something along the lines of "secret lore of the ancestors"

Edited by MarkInMKUK

If you're using a culture as reference, at least do it seriously. It might be insignificant/trivial but you don't know how people will react to it. Some might find it offensive. A mod would be a good way to rectify this sloppy work from Bethseda. Do try harder :)

My current character (female Nord) is Runa Olasdottir, which (based purely on naming sites) means something along the lines of "secret lore of the ancestors"

LOL. You are a letter and you are the daughter of Olas (which I don't know what means). That's it :tongue:

(Danish, btw, so not as strong in the old norse as the Icelandic people)

I was disappointed that almost all of the place names are in English and don't even sound Scandinavian. There are places like Whiterun, Riverview, and Dragonbridge. It seems to me like there were more Scandinavian-sounding place names in the Morrowind expansion Bloodmoon. Edited by David Brasher