Crafting is absurd

myrdred

My Nord warrior has focused on combat and archery skills. I could easily have sped through crafting, but chose not to.

That said, I do recognize the over-powered nature of crafting. And I have a few recommendations:

-Double the number of items required to make everything. This means the player needs more resources, and has to carry more. It also means you use up resources twice as fast. This serves numerous purposes. It reduces the items made in a day. It increase time between crafting sessions. It costs the player more.

-Charge the player a portion of their gold for using blacksmith forges (suggested by another player in this thread.) This should be simple. Provided the forge is an activator, just add a few lines of script. Either player.removeitem f {amountofgold} and charge a flat fee. Or do a player.getitemcount to assess player gold, then remove a percentage up to a certain limit. Either way this increases the cost of crafting.

-Make crafting items more expensive. Nuff said.

-Increase weight of crafting items. Perhaps doubling the weight of dwarven and orcish-related ore and ingots. This means carrying less stuff. Again, self explanatory.

-Make it so the player has to have a hammer in their inventory to use crafting activators. Make it so activators count hammer uses. After 4 - 5 uses the hammer is removed from their inventory. If they do not have another hammer they cannot craft. Then, increase the price of hammers.

-Time Lapse: This one is a doozy. Don't even know if its doable at all. But elapsing time adds to immersion when crafting. I always wait a few hours after crafting items for immersion sake. Sometimes, it means I miss the vendor's closing doorbell. That's ok. I sleep in Breezehome/Inns and then visit vendors the next day, like a blacksmith would if he were working on things. Generally, with this self-imposed habit in mind, crafting usually takes me a day at least.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps folks with crafting mods. I might do one myself, since I am pretty decent where these sorts of minor scripts are concerned. Something to make it a bit more 'real.'

nah, crafting may has some balance issues,but way off broken.

you may get ur gears up to some extreme extent at early of the game but as your skill going up ,so does ur level and your enemies,meanwhile your fighting skills would be probably as crap as hell and you get knocked down more often than normally would.so what's the point?

I say the weapons you can craft are about right in the 60+ range. Its about equal to what you would be doing with lets say a steel weapon at the beginning of the game. I didn't like in Oblvion that enemies continued to get more powerful as you gained levels, but you really didn't. Those "over powered" weapons are appropriate weapons to be using at near max level.

Not all enemies scale up, but the ones that don't you will end up walking over anyway regardless if you got an overpowered weapon or not.

Edited by Beriallord

A simple crafting progression table would limit it's usefulness. As it is now, you can indeed craft hundreds of leather bracers (which I found are the fastest, since leather is very easy to come by and cheap), and reach 100. Dwarven is also very easy once you get to it. The amount of ore you can get if you do a deowmer dungeon run and load up on parts to refine is quite insane, especially with a full set of enchanted "carry" gear.

By simple making it so each tier will only up the skill a certain amount of points at most, you would have to craft very expensive gear to get to 100. Leather at first, Iron, then Steel, and the like, until you reach the 90s and only dragon stuff will raise the skill.

Alchemy and Enchanting are far less powerful overall I found. Alchemy because it's simply consumable and Enchanting because the most powerful soulgems are much harder to farm.

This isn't exactly accurate. Here is why. Using a step up system with enchanting/alchemy/smithing you can make absolutely obscene gear. We are talking with 5 perks in a weapon skill you can get a Daedric Sword to 518 damage. Throw some potions into the mix and you can get that Daedric Sword over 5,000 damage.

Your perks no longer matter. You can one shot dragons.

well first I would say probably a skill level requirement to use crafted gear or more so to make it. Like needing to have a block skill of 50 to be able to make dwarven or elven shields, or upgrade steel past the first one or two. The logic to this is that simple, you can be the greatest smith or tanner in the world, a true artist at what you do. But if you do not understand the function of what you are making, its strengths and weakness' then you will not know how to improve it. A master craftsman may be able to make the greatest sword you will ever lay eyes on. But if he doesnt know how to use a sword, where the center of balance needs to be for the style of blade and how to use it. He will never know how to improve it to perform better.

id also make things a bit more realistic, a requirement for coal for all smithing and forging of bars to items. Make only real leather work as leather for leather armor, instead the rest would "refine" into hide parts for hide armor.

I must say that I do not understand the whole crying about crafting.

Skyrim is SINGLE USER, sandbox game and everyone can play the style he like.

No one must craft. No one must craft all day up to level 100. No one must use the fortify alchemy/enchanting potions and equipment. If you do not like it, simply do not use it.

Personally I don't use armor, sword, shield etc., I don't have any perk in any kind of combat style. I don't like the fighter way, so I am not using it. But why should we discuss the mod which will remove or nerf physical combat ?

Yes, smithing and enchanting needs mods. But mods which will enhace them, not limit them. For example mod for arrow crafting, mod for more spells for enchanting, like Invisibility, Light, Detect Life, Silent etc. Mod for multiple enchants on weapons and apparell and so on.

If you play it a certain way (I use mostly mined ores, and I only occasionally buy iron ingots en masse to make daggers, mostly I make iron daggers with what i've mined and the small amount of iron ore my local smith stocks occasionally.), smithing can be fairly frustrating. For example, I only make dwarven ingots using bent dwemer scrap metal, with the roleplay reasoning that I'm trying to preserve the useful artifacts. Real reasoning is because Bent Dwemer Scrap Metal has the best weight-to-ingot output of dwemer metal pieces. Oh, and I try to get most of the scrap metal off dead dwarven enemies instead of what's laying around. It gets just a tad bit frustrating at times.

I must say that I do not understand the whole crying about crafting.

Skyrim is SINGLE USER, sandbox game and everyone can play the style he like.

No one must craft. No one must craft all day up to level 100. No one must use the fortify alchemy/enchanting potions and equipment. If you do not like it, simply do not use it.

Personally I don't use armor, sword, shield etc., I don't have any perk in any kind of combat style. I don't like the fighter way, so I am not using it. But why should we discuss the mod which will remove or nerf physical combat ?

Yes, smithing and enchanting needs mods. But mods which will enhace them, not limit them. For example mod for arrow crafting, mod for more spells for enchanting, like Invisibility, Light, Detect Life, Silent etc. Mod for multiple enchants on weapons and apparell and so on.

Why not save yourself some time and just console the kill command, tgm, or additem. You're right that in a single player game it's your choice; it is still broken though.

Well, if you're going to stand there for 18 hours in a row, crafting and maxing out your black smith level as soon as possible than yeah, I guess it is broken.You can do the same thing with blocking, lockpicking or any other skill. I leveled up my blocking 6 levels just by standing there blocking as enemies, I could easily kill, attacked me. I did this all through out the dungeon I was playing in. Yeah, it was real easy to level up my blocking because of it but that's my fault, not the game's fault. I don't think the blocking is broken because of it. It's basically cheating.

Don't get mad at the game for making things too easy for you if you're cheating to have these things done. If you do nothing more than work on getting god mode powers and armory...you did that, not the game. You may as well just use the cheat console.

If you want a challenge and maxing out your armor one week into the game spoils it for you...here's an idea, maybe you should focus more on quests instead of making your character stand there for a few days creating "too powerful" armor.

I don't understand people who go out of their way to make the game ridiculously easy for themselves by doing things such as making weapons too powerful...you have to do that intentionally, that just doesn't happen by accident but then you come on and complain that the game is somehow broken. No, not really.

People are talking about all these different swords and armors and how they make the game too easy. I don't know what level you're on or how much you play but I play quite a lot. I'm on level 19 and I still haven't even heard of these swords or weapons in the game. If you want to ruin it for yourself than you'll ruin it for yourself.

Ever hear the saying : You've made your bed, now sleep in it?

My character is still wearing steel armor, superior steel armor, but still steel armor.

If I change my difficulty level from Adept to Novice and the game suddenly becomes too easy for me to enjoy...does that mean the game is broken? I don't think so.

If you don't want the game to be too easy, than stop going out of your way to do and create things that is going to make the game too easy for you.