Skyrim patch downloading right NOW (pc)

SHO3LACE

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding, right? No Skyrim script extender? Oh god. I hope that's not right. If there really is no more script extender, then I think most of the advanced mods will be impossible to make.

The Script Extender should work fine once we have it. And don't panic too much about this either. It will probably take less than a day for someone to work out a way to make Skyrim a 4GB version again.

Seems it won't be me for now though. Pretty sure that Steam is handling Skyrim differently than New Vegas. I haven't been able to find any way to make the FNV4GB program work for Skyrim. Someone will come along who can work it out another way though, I'm sure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but they did not work. I already tried that verify integrity option - it was one of the first things I tried to rectify things. It took me a while to locate the option though, but when I did, all it told me was that all files are just fine and dandy. Well, the files that were on my PC probably were, it's just that the game was missing it's most important file.

So after mulling things for a while, and trying this and that, and trying to locate some form of update or download history from the crap that is Steam, I had a sudden insight: I turned of the automatic update thingie and then re-activated it. This jolted the buggy piece of code back in action, and off it went to fetch me a new exe file.

Now all I need is to replace the new ini it spawned (without all the crucial tweaks that makes the thing playable) with one of my backups. And make sure that the loose files loading is checked and I can play the game again. But, why did I have to waste 40 minutes of my life to figure all this out?

Like I said, I hate Steam.

Edited by hymhym

That's a bit weird. The only reason I can think of it thinking that having no TESV.exe file there is normal is if you restored a backup of the pre-loaded Skyrim (before it was unlocked on the 11th). Unless Verify doesn't work correcly if auto-updates isn't on.

Sorry if it has been said previously..

I have no problem with having to use steam to launch the game, unless it creates a problem such as this very one..

I think its quite clear now that unless you use an older version of the TESV.exe you will NOT be able to ensure the game recognises more than 2GB, which quite simply (and sadly) means that no-one can use the glorious HQ textures out there on the nexus.

I really hope some sort or work around is found soon... and hope that the script extender is not affected by this

newvegas had a script extender so there's no reason to think why skyrim won't have one.

NV was Steam based, but didn't have encrypted executable (which is what we just got), but SE should work, because it theoretically injects after the game is running.

But things like 4gb fix do not have that privilege.

Edited by elvinkun

Sorry if it has been said previously..

I have no problem with having to use steam to launch the game, unless it creates a problem such as this very one..

I think its quite clear now that unless you use an older version of the TESV.exe you will NOT be able to ensure the game recognises more than 2GB, which quite simply (and sadly) means that no-one can use the glorious HQ textures out there on the nexus.

I really hope some sort or work around is found soon... and hope that the script extender is not affected by this

How does this combat piracy if the pirates dont use (or need) steam to play this pirated game and the only ppl who get the patch (and all the problems with it) are the ones who bought a legal version?

Pretty sure its because of the piracy but that dosent change anything that pirates will NEVER get this patch... and completly missing the target.