Automatic Wall "Builder"?

Vercalos

I was wondering, how hard would it be to make a mod that basically spawns walls automatically based on what you select?

My idea would be basically either an interactive object(rather like the Pylon from Tina's Cookiepocolypse) or a holotape, that could be used within a settlement, and would allow you to spawn walls in exchange for resources, maybe even with different types and layout(some settlements have obvious ideal locations for gates. Others... don't.)

My reasoning behind this is that while I do enjoy building settlements, I've an obsessive need to build walls for all of them, and it gets old having to do it for each settlement, and each playthrough.

• 1 year later...

My question is similar but pertains to the Wall choice for the Settlement shacks. I can build a multi-story shack with the best of them but I'm not happy with the lack of windows and the overall crappy looking building once I've finished. I'd love to see a tiered system that mirrored your building skill that would improve your building options. I was also wondering what happened to the Public Works Perk that allowed you to build Schools, Churches and Civic buildings.

I'm not quite sure I understand the request -

do you wish to be able to make a wall-ring-group,

which assembles a wall based on a radius from objects via a 'get-that' routine?

ie - build around all, like from RTS's where in say Age of Empires, you could just click Shift+a button,

and it would build the wall around the node?

see, if it were 2D-3D, and you could see per map...

you could just draw a line, and say "fill this line with x,y,z to the nearest blah"

and it'd do it... draw a spline, it spawns that all as a group, done.

it'd then compare the layers by category, so, if they'd no-clip, it could warn you ahead of time, or edge-slide/move the spline to avoid collision with another layer - very similar to unwrap stuff for 3D printing collision detect per-layer (some of which would be interoperable with Papyrus).

I think that is possible via node associative groups...

the same folks that did/are working on Visual Similarity Reference Index,

might be able to help make that possible, given they've somehow made a better drag-n-select node thingy.

Ideally, being able to also specify how to alter the panelling around it, and,

where the panels touch... that would be tricky, and related to the Visual Similarity Reference Index as well...

(cue simpsons movie "tough tough soft tough... etc")

this would vastly reduce construction time,

as you wouldn't need to iterate through the nX! worth of combinatorics,

so as to avoid the 'cookie-cutter effect'...

edit: upon looking at it further,

it would be moreso a special instance of the Visual Similarity Reference Index as well as,

the sim settlement/transfer settlement frameworks...

though it seems possible to make a get-that quiry to fill per spline, or just stick with unitary grid.

the problem will be, having the fence align to a set-height where topology is not flat hehe...

Reminds me of that old tim burton batman movie and the armor for the batmobile. Hell yes we need something like this but realistically it would have to be something made in the CK and you get a menu pop up asking for resources you dump into the workbench. Get enough settlers at the settlement lets say two of them and they build the wall for you right after the pop up menu so the screen goes black and then when it gets back to normal there is your wall. The thing can be edited by the player as it should use vanilla things to begin with. Settlement transfer is a really big help but you have to go away and come back a few times to get everything working.