Vault-Tec Workshop DLC Is Out - First Impressions

RaffTheSweetling

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this is the DLC or some bug related to a mod that I have yet to get fixed due to not knowing which is causing it, but I'm seeing major pathing issues with the NPCs in the vault. When the first three settlers arrive, they and the overseer just stand in the hall leading to the main area unwilling to move until I waited somewhere. The test subject refuses to walk anywhere most of the time and was somehow outside of the structure I built when I was trying to get him to use the soda dispenser.

Honestly though it could be some bug with some mod, but I have no clue which mod messes with NPCs since I do at times see settlers huddled in a group when I visit a settlement.

My gripes with the DLC are as follows:

- Pointless quest which can be completed in less than 30 minutes at level 20-30

- Quest is bugged at points you need to hook up a terminal or assign a settler forcing not just loading an old save but an actual restart of the game itself as the bug persists until you do so

- Some 'new' functionality this DLC introduces is redundant with mods which have offered the same functionality on the Nexus for months and done so better in some cases, such as Settlement Management Software

- Many of the Vault pieces do not snap correctly or at all making building even a room frustrating and as mentioned above seem to have bugged navmeshing as sometimes NPCs will refuse to walk over certain areas of Vault pieces

- Running Vault experiments is largely done as a literal joke rather as something with serious ethical concerns which cause you to pause and consider what you are doing (What particularly bugged me is they tried and failed to link it to the Fallout lore by dropping Doctor Braun's name when describing each of the increasingly silly devices... you know the guy who got his kicks by torturing and brutally murdering vault dwellers under his care for all eternity while posing as a seemingly innocent and harmless little girl)

- There are only 4 types of experiments and all pretty much involve 1 guy not the entire vault as advertised

- And the big one which has been a problem with many of the Workshop DLCs, Recycled assets from the base game being offered as something new to settlement building. Again with many of the added objects having already been offered by mods on the Nexus since... well since modding for the game began.

All and all this DLC quite possibly the worst yet.

Edited by ASilvermane

It's fun. I spent hours building a vault, decorating it and thought the writing and characters were pretty fun. I think more people are going to expect more from it but I feel it was a good addition to the game.

What good is a pip boy to an npc? I hate having to wear the dam thing all the time anyway but I guess you could say that it is the only way to use VATS lore wise. Unless the npc equipped with a pip boy joins in on your VATS experience allowing you additional shots which would be fired from that npc I don't see a point in giving one to an npc.

You guys wanna gamble? Get on twitch and gamble for cs go skins make valve some more money.

After completing the quests, I would have liked more. I don't see options to continue experimenting, which is what I expected. Some of the structures are a bit troublesome to put together, and there's a lot of redundant pieces that need to be in place before various room structures will snap--even though you can then remove the redundant piece, it's a bit chore-like.

Saw someone has already put up a better lighting mod for the DLC provided lights. Who wants to use settlement budget space on lights every four feet? Honestly Bethesda.

One worry I have is that you could build an entirely sealed vault, and settlers will still spawn out in the open spaces when you return, leaving them trapped outside of the vault itself unless you build in accessible doors. Ugh.

Edited by Guest

I found at least one thing about this DLC which doesn't suck - You can equip your companion with a pip-boy.

http://i.imgur.com/H5jwceO.jpg

I'll have to check that out!

Maybe some mod geek will create a Mod that allows you tell your group / groups "come here".

I did find that .. so far .. the only real added features are furniture and lights. I was hoping for some of the walls and doors. But having gone through the who menu options ... yes, there were indeed some additions, but not as much as I was thinking there would be.