Bored of Skyrim?

itsmaia

I don't think it'll be long before I stop and wait for mods, the game is fun but lacks any kind of depth.

Its the same for me, even though i havent finish the main quest yet and many other, im already getting that need to install mods that fix/change again a vast amount of things. :confused:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, yes. I started my second character two or three days back and it was interesting at first but then it kinda hit: "Is this all?"

I still play it regularely, but it's usually just 30-45 minutes at a time before I get bored.

Probably the two main issues that make me bored are Skyrim itself, the environtment that is, sure it's a beauty and there's a lot of details, but still the barren mostly white/shades of grey world is imho very dull. The second issue is that I simply don't get the "feel" of being part of the world as I did in Oblivion.

Your post describes my feelings perfectly.

Actually, yes. I started my second character two or three days back and it was interesting at first but then it kinda hit: "Is this all?"

I still play it regularely, but it's usually just 30-45 minutes at a time before I get bored.

Probably the two main issues that make me bored are Skyrim itself, the environtment that is, sure it's a beauty and there's a lot of details, but still the barren mostly white/shades of grey world is imho very dull. The second issue is that I simply don't get the "feel" of being part of the world as I did in Oblivion.

Your post describes my feelings perfectly.

I find these statements very ironic..

When Oblivion was released, people said "man, I don't feel as immersed as I did in Morrowind. The world is great but it just doesn't seem alive like Morrowind."

Now, I see a lot of "man, Skyrim just isn't as alive as Oblivion."

..so, Morrowind is more immersive than Skyrim? lol.. I think it just comes down to hindsight bias. When you think back you remember all of the best parts of Oblivion and compare that to your current problems with Skyrim... I just hope everyone realizes that Skyrim is a technological masterpiece.. The xbox 360 would have to be more powerful for there to be more depth.. sure, the game could be harder, but they tailored it for a large market (comprised of a lot of casual gamers); and those of use hardcore players can just get the PC version and wait for the CK.

Bethesda is doing their best.. With considerations of invested money (millions of dollars), time (4-5 years), etc.. it makes sense why Skyrim is the way it is.

Of course Oblivion wasn't as technically advanced as Skyrim is, but its landscape was way more varied and rich in color. In comparison with Oblivion and/or Morrowind Skyrim's grey world certainly feels more dull and boring. But the part that really bothers me is the fact that, as Dowly said, you "don't get the "feel" of being part of the world". That may have to do with play style preferences in part, but it just doesn't feel like an RPG much to me.

Oh and, Skyrim is no "technological masterpiece". After all the hype and anticipation around The Elder Scrolls V we get a real downer in the entertainment aspect. Let me reiterate, Skyrim is basically a massive upgrade to the previous installment, that uses the ideas and work of many talented Oblivion modders and still needs more work (mods and fixes). So let's hope Bethesda understands this and releases the Creation Engine ASAP.

but its landscape was way more varied and rich in color

We are in the cold north.

There are snow storms.

There are Mammoths.

There are dragons.

Where the heck do you get color from? Only a few flowers can grow, and most of thoose wil be burned down.

The game is now "all grey and sad!", it is realistic. There have been crisises for years, and there are a war waging.

When we all have access to the CS the game gets better and we like it more. But playing without mods that make it better or add lots more things it gets boring. If we get the CS soon there will be many more people involved in the game and making mods so it wont get as boring. :dry:

Then why are people using, say, FXAA Post Process Injector? 1315 endorsements in just a couple of weeks... Contrast, light and yes, color, are essential elements of a decent image and as such a "technological masterpiece" should have focused on using the correct values in the first place. And that goes twice for an arctic landscape.

The xbox 360 would have to be more powerful for there to be more depth.. sure, the game could be harder, but they tailored it for a large market (comprised of a lot of casual gamers); and those of use hardcore players can just get the PC version and wait for the CK.

That's but one of the problems. And the main reason why many PC players are so angry about the necessity to make the product fit for the lowest possible (technical) denominator.

I'm not bored of Skyrim, not yet anyway. But it lacks immersion and comparing it to Morrowind isn't simple nostalgia. Morrowind at its time was groundbreaking. Players expected to be Oblivion to be something even better and Skyrim to top the both of them. That didn't happen. Instead they carried the linear questlines and non reacting environment all the way from 2002 into 2011. When Morrowind was released there were indeed very severe technical limitations to what an AI could master. Nowadays things are different and Skyrim still hasn't got much to go for it, when it comes to roleplaying. Its mainly hack and slash with linear questlines. Which is fun for a while, but can get old pretty quickly if you aren't playing it for the action based aspects.

action based aspects.

Which is what the game is tailored at. People want the action based aspect. One a small % actually Roleplays at a high level. Personally, I RP for about 5 minute, when I make my character. Other than that it is exploring and questing. I don't give a rats ass if somebody tells me to go to X cave, or there is a glowing neon sign over it. I'll explore it either way.

I powergame. I always strive to make my character be the best. Yes, this breaks the game. I don't care. If I can powergame, without doing it too early, I am all happy. I do not RP. I also did not like Morrowind, since I found myself lost and dead more times than not. So Skyrim fits me pretty well.

Not everybody who likes TES likes to RP. I don't want to play I am myself. I don't want to force my character to sleep 6 houres per night. I don't want that hazzle. I want a visual good game, with good effects and good combat. Secondary comes lore, and even then I only use it to mod lore-friendly. At last comes the RP, which is only when I decide what kind of character I want.

So there it is. There are mo % people who want linear stuff, than RP. It is also easier to get the CoD fanbase to play Skyrim, if you do not need 5 years of RP experience to play it. it is all about getting the bigger base, since that gives money.

If you then dislike it, you get it on PC and mod it. It solves evertbody problems. I believed everyone new this was how it worked, looking how every RPG have acted likely? Fable 3, DA:2 and Skyrim. I am not sure about the witcher, but I'd assume the same.