I'm about done with this game

Agatana

Oh sure with an i7 yeah no problem and depending on the brand and model you may have more than one cooling fan and heat sink assembly what I am talking about is the average one fan midrange or less laptop that is at least three years old and full of dirt and dust because the user doesn't understand they can't put the laptop on the bed or the carpet or the place mat at the dinner table. Intel onboard graphics are crap but people try to play WOW and other big games with it like it should just work lol.

Oh man, I freak out whenever I see someone put their lap top on a bed or carpet.

I played the game earlier, it crashed( read locked up ) on me. I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer in order to close the game. I could close the game and steam using the Task Manager, but when I open steam again to open the game again steam says the game is already running( this has been a recurring problem, not just lately ).

You still had a hung process running, as you killed the Steam process instead of shutting it down cleanly. Reboot the PC to fix.

Oh yeah... "Reboot to fix" isn't this what I do when I do a hard shutdown (manually activate the power button while the PC is running?) ?

I played the game earlier, it crashed( read locked up ) on me. I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer in order to close the game. I could close the game and steam using the Task Manager, but when I open steam again to open the game again steam says the game is already running( this has been a recurring problem, not just lately ).

You still had a hung process running, as you killed the Steam process instead of shutting it down cleanly. Reboot the PC to fix.

It still doesn't explain why it locks up so bad that I can't do a clean shutdown. Why\how does a "hung process" happen and how can the problem be kept from happening?

Sometimes the process holds all of the operating system's attention, so any interrupt (I.E. shutting down) is not noticed by the operating system. How can you prevent this, this is a more complicated question. It is possible another service or process you are running is interfering with Fallout. It is hard to say. I can try to help you more, if you want.

How to fix it: Open task manager, go to "process" tab, find Fallout4.exe. Right click this and terminate.

Processes are deployed in a tree structure (hierarchy). If you have the option in your task/process manager of choice to "terminate tree" of Fallout 4 or steam, do this. terminating the tree will prevent an orphaned process from continuing to run.

Thanks, wrote down your instructions, and will try next time I play FO4 and it crashes on me. Have gone back to Skyrim for awhile.

Am actually thinking of disabling all mods and trying to rebuild the game to my playing satisfaction/ enjoyment. I actually play Skyrim on my old machine, I should try to rebuild it on my new machine.

On a semi related note, I'm looking forward to the fan group rebuild of Morrowind (the game I started playing the Elder Scrolls). My grandson actually got me started in video gaming when he was in 4th grade and Age of Wonders came out, played it for a couple of days a couple of months ago.

Thanks for your suggestion and explaining things for me so I understand.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and through this conversation educating me in terminology.

It still doesn't explain why it locks up so bad that I can't do a clean shutdown. Why\how does a "hung process" happen and how can the problem be kept from happening?

Sometimes the process holds all of the operating system's attention, so any interrupt (I.E. shutting down) is not noticed by the operating system. How can you prevent this, this is a more complicated question. It is possible another service or process you are running is interfering with Fallout. It is hard to say. I can try to help you more, if you want.

How to fix it: Open task manager, go to "process" tab, find Fallout4.exe. Right click this and terminate.

Processes are deployed in a tree structure (hierarchy). If you have the option in your task/process manager of choice to "terminate tree" of Fallout 4 or steam, do this. terminating the tree will prevent an orphaned process from continuing to run.

Thanks, wrote down your instructions, and will try next time I play FO4 and it crashes on me. Have gone back to Skyrim for awhile.

Am actually thinking of disabling all mods and trying to rebuild the game to my playing satisfaction/ enjoyment. I actually play Skyrim on my old machine, I should try to rebuild it on my new machine.

On a semi related note, I'm looking forward to the fan group rebuild of Morrowind (the game I started playing the Elder Scrolls). My grandson actually got me started in video gaming when he was in 4th grade and Age of Wonders came out, played it for a couple of days a couple of months ago.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and through this conversation educating me in terminology.

No problem, I hope you can get it to work. Disabling mods and reinstalling is a good idea.

By fan rebuild do you mean 'OpenMW?' I am excited about this too because I enjoy Morrowind, and just think of the modding options! I haven't played MW in a while though, it's been Fallout 4 since January.

Edit: You seem like a really cool grandparent. The only thing I knew about my grandfather was, he was a machinist and liked Wild Turkey 101. :)

Edited by mkborgelt13

Am not running on laptop. Had a pc built for me last year specifically for FO4. I have over 1600 hrs in the game. I am convinced it has to do with updates. Not every one( i would have quit a long time ago ) but when it happens it's annoying. And this 71 yr old don't take easily to being annoyed, I tend to break things and that gets expensive.

a) DAMN i thought i was old @ 55 years.. :tongue:

b) dont you save your mod profiles with nmm ???( i do it daily and start a new one anytime i want to add/remove a heavy mod that might cause me grief. ) This way you can fall back easily.

c) im wondering how an update to nmm would screw with your mods.

In any case ..

Is that all that happened to your game or was anything unrelated to the game also effected like an app or files ??

Edited by greekrage

No problem, I hope you can get it to work. Disabling mods and reinstalling is a good idea.

By fan rebuild do you mean 'OpenMW?' I am excited about this too because I enjoy Morrowind, and just think of the modding options! I haven't played MW in a while though, it's been Fallout 4 since January.

Edit: You seem like a really cool grandparent. The only thing I knew about my grandfather was, he was a machinist and liked Wild Turkey 101. :smile:

The article I read was on Steam, If I remember right (no guarantee these days) it, the mod, is called Skywind. Skyrim\Morrowind Morrowind's world expanded and updated with Skyrim's graphics.

Are you my long lost grandchild I never knew I had? I was a machinist in the Navy & Wild Turkey used to be one of my favorites.

Am not running on laptop. Had a pc built for me last year specifically for FO4. I have over 1600 hrs in the game. I am convinced it has to do with updates. Not every one( i would have quit a long time ago ) but when it happens it's annoying. And this 71 yr old don't take easily to being annoyed, I tend to break things and that gets expensive.

b) dont you save your mod profiles with nmm ???( i do it daily and start a new one anytime i want to add/remove a heavy mod that might cause me grief. ) This way you can fall back easily.

In any case ..

Is that all that happened to your game or was anything unrelated to the game also effected like an app or files ??

a: Just means I was born with WWII still going on. You're as old as you make yourself by thinking you're old. Old is a state of being, age is simply a specific time in one's life.

b: Didn't know you could do something like that, and don't know how or specifically why. Remember, I know just enough about computers to bury me in serious problems (obviously).

c: The update notice for NMM specifically stated that if I updated from v.54.3,(or 56.4 or fifty something) to the v.61.x version I would have to delete\uninstall all my mods and repopulate NMM because of the differences imposed by windows 10 which is one of the reasons why I don't want to go to W10. I didn't want to do all that work to continue playing my game. It just meant there were some mods that I couldn't use because of newer version NMM requirements. The same for manually importing mods, I don't because of my proclivity for screwing things up, Murphy's Law applied to me and computers. It's why I use NMM, it does the work. I don't think I asked to be updated, why would I with all I've stated? So now I'm stuck with redoing all my games on my new computer, which is why I've gone back to playing Skyrim on my old computer.

In any case: As far as I know (I've finally figured out what afaik means, I had to ask my grandson what lol means) the NMM upgrade is the only real problem. I have no mods, afaik, that addresses the lockpicking function of the game in any way. Apps and files? I don't know, I don't run anything else on my computers that requires as much computer resources as does the games, by a loooooong shot. Besides getting most of my news off the internet, emailing friends (what few I have) and family (what a lot I have all across this country), the only thing I use my computer for (besides as a paperweight) is to play video games.

My video game interests are pretty limited, I don't like strictly 1st person shooters. Being a tabletop rpg'er (D&D\Pathfinder, Star Wars, VtM, etc.) and a Larp player ( VtM, Changeling, Werewolf mostly) I much prefer the cRPG video Games. VtM: Bloodlines one of my all time favorites. Combat is fine, but the combat functions in 1st person shooters sends my mind racing back to actual firefights I keep trying to forget. No Thanks. I have a naturally short fuse anyway. I've learned in the intervening years to keep a tight leash on it, that and my best friend\wife have been the only things that has kept me alive over these years. I try very hard to keep from making a full on combat character when playing in RPG's. I even tend to make female characters so I'm not expected to be combat heavy.

It's amazing how many little trips I lay on myself to keep from going over the edge.

Sorry for the head trip I just laid on ya'll, Ya'll may not be sympathetic or empathic concerning this, but I am hoping for at least a bartender's ability to listen without judgement.

Thank you all

Edited by Agatana

In any case ..

a: Just means I was born with WWII still going on. You're as old as you make yourself by thinking you're old. Old is a state of being, age is simply a specific time in one's life.

b: Didn't know you could do something like that, and don't know how or specifically why. Remember, I know just enough about computers to bury me in serious problems (obviously).

c: The update notice for NMM specifically stated that if I updated from v.54.3,(or 56.4 or fifty something) to the v.61.x version I would have to delete\uninstall all my mods and repopulate NMM because of the differences imposed by windows 10 which is one of the reasons why I don't want to go to W10. I didn't want to do all that work to continue playing my game. It just meant there were some mods that I couldn't use because of newer version NMM requirements. The same for manually importing mods, I don't because of my proclivity for screwing things up, Murphy's Law applied to me and computers. It's why I use NMM, it does the work. I don't think I asked to be updated, why would I with all I've stated? So now I'm stuck with redoing all my games on my new computer, which is why I've gone back to playing Skyrim on my old computer.

In any case: As far as I know (I've finally figured out what afaik means, I had to ask my grandson what lol means) the NMM upgrade is the only real problem. I have no mods, afaik, that addresses the lockpicking function of the game in any way. Apps and files? I don't know, I don't run anything else on my computers that requires as much computer resources as does the games, by a loooooong shot. Besides getting most of my news off the internet, emailing friends (what few I have) and family (what a lot I have all across this country), the only thing I use my computer for (besides as a paperweight) is to play video games.

My video game interests are pretty limited, I don't like strictly 1st person shooters. Being a tabletop rpg'er (D&D\Pathfinder, Star Wars, VtM, etc.) and a Larp player ( VtM, Changeling, Werewolf mostly) I much prefer the cRPG video Games. VtM: Bloodlines one of my all time favorites. Combat is fine, but the combat functions in 1st person shooters sends my mind racing back to actual firefights I keep trying to forget. No Thanks. I have a naturally short fuse anyway. I've learned in the intervening years to keep a tight leash on it, that and my best friend\wife have been the only things that has kept me alive over these years. I try very hard to keep from making a full on combat character when playing in RPG's. I even tend to make female characters so I'm not expected to be combat heavy.

It's amazing how many little trips I lay on myself to keep from going over the edge.

Sorry for the head trip I just laid on ya'll, Ya'll may not be sympathetic or empathic concerning this, but I am hoping for at least a bartender's ability to listen without judgement.

Thank you all

I hope i didnt insult you in any way it wasnt my intention if i did.

Anyhow..

I didnt consider that you would have such an old version of nmm and obviously when you have a major update to most apps including this one youre in for a bad experience.

Imagine that i re-installed the game fresh yesterday and had 255 mods installed that had to be reinstalled one at a time so i do feel your pain.

here is what i mean by profile backup http://prntscr.com/c2aucc http://prntscr.com/c2av6u

That pull down menu has various options, use them and you wont have this heart ache again (unless nexus decides to do another overhaul )

Just save the profile if everything is working and start a new one (new name ) and play with the new so if anything goes wrong (example a new mod killed your workshop menus or caused CTD (crash to desktop) ) you can go back and click the previous profile.

I do this daily cause im a mod addict since i love building and am allways looking for new item to use .

Well i hope you sort out your issues and get back to gaming.

In any case ..

Thank you all

I hope i didnt insult you in any way it wasnt my intention if i did.

Anyhow..

I didnt consider that you would have such an old version of nmm and obviously when you have a major update to most apps including this one youre in for a bad experience.

Imagine that i re-installed the game fresh yesterday and had 255 mods installed that had to be reinstalled one at a time so i do feel your pain.

here is what i mean by profile backup http://prntscr.com/c2aucc http://prntscr.com/c2av6u

That pull down menu has various options, use them and you wont have this heart ache again (unless nexus decides to do another overhaul )

Just save the profile if everything is working and start a new one (new name ) and play with the new so if anything goes wrong (example a new mod killed your workshop menus or caused CTD (crash to desktop) ) you can go back and click the previous profile.

I do this daily cause im a mod addict since i love building and am allways looking for new item to use .

Well i hope you sort out your issues and get back to gaming.

Thanks for all your help, and no you didn't insult me. I get frustrated fairly easy but being an umpire for 51 yrs I've got pretty thick Rhino hide.