The Elder Scrolls: Tamriel

omnimuffin

89 members have voted

1. 1. Worth following up on?

• Yes
    • No

I know it would be a truly massive undertaking- but, upon seeing this, I can't help but think how amazing a mod that incorporated all of Tamriel would be. And, while, like I said, a truly massive undertaking, it's entirely possible. Pre-existing models and textures could adapted (for example, some things from the excellent Morroblivion Visual Overhaul by Eloth could be adapted for use in Morrowind with permission, and, of course, Oblivion models could be adapted for use in Cyrodiil and beyond.) Plus, big chunks of Morrowind don't even need to be accessible, as there are huge chunks of Morrowind that were rendered uninhabitable by the eruption of Red Mountain.

Here's the basic plan I'd follow: each region of Tamriel would have it's own team. Each region would have it's own ESM and ESP's (During development, at least), allowing much greater independence. After gathering all lore possible regarding the other regions of Tamriel's current state, creating our own for what we don't have, and designing at least important characters and such to fit that lore, focus would be entirely on the landscape and cities- landscape first, then the cities. Of course, making the landscapes wouldn't be too hard, given the info provided in the above link. Then the world would be populated, and then, and only then, would quests and such be created for the regions.

Discussion of this idea would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably write up some more later.

Edited by omnimuffin

i was just about to post this in the Mod Request forum :P

It would be Awesome.. The holy grail of modding... I think creatin Tamriel itself with the creation kit shouldn't pose that much of a problem. It could even be done by automated sripts.. Once you get the world, that's where the hard work starts :)

Indeed you'd have to write a Whole lot of lore.. After setting up a database of Tamriel Lore that is already in Skyrim, the writing can begin.. I'd start with a region near the skyrim border, it would just be wayy too much to try and do it all at once..

Maybe its a good idea to do think out some preliminary numbers:

Regarding TES IV:

How many locations are ther in Tamriel (per region)

How many NPC's are there

How many cities ( I should know, but I'm not sure of the top of my head)

etc..

Regarding Cities:

Obviously Kvaatch is going to be interesting, as well as the Imperial city.. If for some logical reason another city can be destroyed, work that in the Lore..

The basic layout should be the same; same streets, same monuments etc, with some logical changes a city in Tamriel would go through in 200 years.. From a gameplay standpoint, all cities need to be equiped with Forges and Mills, etc..

These projects all seem to run into problems because of copyright.

If you use Oblivion or Morrowind assets in Skyrim you will need to ensure that players who download and install the mod have purchased Morrowind and Oblivion. And there still might be complications.

In a way you would be better recreating everything, but that's an even larger task.

And I'd suggest holding off until you are sure that these additional areas aren't going to be included as DLC (as some people have been speculating).

For the inclusion of Cyrodil, you're talking about a complete re-working of the Oblivion mechanics. Every area would need a regional leveling system, because of the Oblivion's level scaling, every quest would need to be compatible with Skyrim mechanics and all of the creatures, armor, weapons and spells would need to be balanced to accomodate for Skyrim's battle mechanics. What you're talking about is a full community project that would need to borrow liberally from mods like Oblivion XP. Unless you can get the support of the most prominent modders from Oblivion and Morrowind this will not work well. Some things to keep in mind include: world map reworking, trainer reworks and faction interaction. All of these games take place years apart, fighting imperial soldiers in Skyrim will not be well received in Cyrodil. I really hope that you decide to undertake this project; just be conscious of the conflicts with each game's integration.

As some might have already noticed:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/472056-planned-travel-to-cyrodiil-mod/

This guy also wants to do something with other provinces..

As for Landmasses : http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim They are already in there!

You could overhaul the assets that much so the copywrite infringement isnt applicable..

As some might have already noticed:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/472056-planned-travel-to-cyrodiil-mod/

This guy also wants to do something with other provinces..

As for Landmasses : http://ppsh-41.tumblr.com/post/13145143504/entire-tamriel-landmass-built-into-skyrim They are already in there!

You could overhaul the assets that much so the copywrite infringement isnt applicable..

I actually mentioned the landmass thing in my first post.

For the inclusion of Cyrodil, you're talking about a complete re-working of the Oblivion mechanics. Every area would need a regional leveling system, because of the Oblivion's level scaling, every quest would need to be compatible with Skyrim mechanics and all of the creatures, armor, weapons and spells would need to be balanced to accomodate for Skyrim's battle mechanics. What you're talking about is a full community project that would need to borrow liberally from mods like Oblivion XP. [...] All of these games take place years apart, fighting imperial soldiers in Skyrim will not be well received in Cyrodil.

He's not trying to recreate the game Oblivion in Skyrim (which probably wouldn't be permitted by Bethesda anyway). He's suggesting adding a modern-day Cyrodil to Skyrim, of the same timeline.

This would honestly only happen if the Elder Scrolls was even discontinued as a franchise.

The reason being, no one would put this much time into their product, just to have their work out-dated the second a new engine or game comes out.

It will be good news for Skyrim if the next game doesn't come out for another 5 years, because we will see mods that would add all of Cyrodiil, or such provinces.

No one would create all of Tamriel, they would take each province and create it, releasing it as a mod in itself, then work on the next province. With each release you would intertwine the provinces and create quests and missions that involve more than one province.

You could even require things such as "passports" and make it difficult to cross borders.