ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Fast Exit help

snuke12

The rule of thumb when copying and pasting is to paste into the destination folder when copy/pasting files and to paste into one folder level higher when copy/pasting folders (hence copy Data paste into Oblivion or copy Meshes paste into Data).

This is a must.

Striker, everything you wrote should be in a readme file that comes with all mods. :laugh: I've learned a ton here. And yeah, doing the manual (dinosaur) method has been helpful for me too. I did a few manual installs before I started using wrye bash. I started to get a better conceptual framework of how they work that way. But I was also a bit fraidy-scared that I would totally destroy the game. I made a backup of my oblivion data folder before installing any mods just to be safe.

I also download my mods to a separate folder in another hard drive and use that to extract them to subfolders and check them out. Smart tips!

Little tip: if you use Wrye Bash you can click on the package BEFORE installing it, and on the right it will list all conflicts.

Also, WB will tell you whatever the files in the Data folder have higher or lower priority than the files you're going to install (higher priority files always overwrite lower priority files), so it really helps you to quickly predict how the game folder will look like after the installation.

Very helpful, forli. I wasn't aware of that at all. I thought you had to install first to find out the conflicts. WB is a lot more advanced than I knew.

Well now the crash on exit issue seems exactly like it was. Again, not a big deal but I wish it wouldn't do that.

Is there anyway to tell if the OBSR plugins are installed correctly so I know they are working? I think I put them in the right folders but since the game still crashes on exit, I'm wondering if they aren't working.

You would need to have (if I remember the names correctly):

• ...Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\sr_OblivionStutterRemover.dll
  • ...Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\sr_OblivionStutterRemover.ini
  • ...Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins\ComponentDLLs\<lots of dll files> (<-- optional, you will know if you have)

And you would then need to launch the game in a way that loads OBSE, and therefore loads all the OBSE plugins. If the FastExit feature is not enabled by default, you probably need to open the ini file and set the option to 1 to enable it. The naming should be pretty clear, it is at the top of the file.

Also, make sure you do not have the same mod "installed" elsewhere (like Mod Organizer) or else the plugin will use the ini file from that one (and not from the actual folder). Something to remember when using mod managers that do not actually move any files. One more reason why Wrye Bash can be more straightforward with less surprises, and therefore usually the recommended mod manager - if you use that, ignore this last piece of text. :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix

If you use a disc version, yes, that is the way to launch Oblivion with OBSE. Did you check the OSR ini file to make sure the FastExit feature is enabled? You could also make sure you do not have any other form of FastExit enabled.

This is interesting. It should work if configured correctly. One way to check could be to not have other FPS caps active, then cap your FPS to 20 (or whatever it is the lowest value) in OSR ini, then launch the game, and use the "tdt" console command. If your FPS is capped, it probably works. If it is not capped to 20, OSR does not work for some reason.

Did you check the OSR ini file to make sure the FastExit feature is enabled? You could also make sure you do not have any other form of FastExit enabled.

I checked the .ini file but since I part-newb I wasn't able to figure out if it was enabled. What line is it, do you know?

It should be at the top of the file, in the very first section I think. I cannot remember at the moment, but I suppose it is also named FastExit or something like that. At least it should have "exit" in the option name. Make sure it is set to 1, like "FastExit = 1" or something like that. It might be named a bit differently.

As for other sort of FastExit that might conflict: make sure to remove any separate FastExit dll files from the OBSE Plugins folder.

This is the text for the .ini file. Couldn't find "exit" anywhere.

Master = {
_comment = You can turn on or off each distinct feature from here.
bManageFPS = 1
bHookCriticalSections = 1
bHookHashtables = 1
bReplaceHeap = 0
bLogToConsole = 0
bFix64Hertz = 1
bFlushLog = 1
iSchedulingResolution = 1
iMainHookPoint = 1
}
FPS_Management = {
_comment = Basic FPS stuff, switches to slow-motion on low FPS; in the past this has occaisonally produced bugs like the NPCs-dropping-dead issue; the issues are believed to be fixed but if you suspect you are having related problems you can try disabling bAllowSlowMotion which is the main suspect for any problems relating to FPS management
bAllowSlowMotion = 1
MaximumFPS = 30
MinimumFPS = 10
iSmoothFrames = 0
iSmoothMode = 0
iSleepExtra = 2
bFPSConsoleSPAM = 0
iSchedulingParanoia = 1
iHardMaxFrametime = 200
}
CriticalSections = {
_comment = CS stuff helps both Oblivion and Fallout significantly
_comment = most of the benefit comes from the Renderer+0x180 suppression (see overrides below)
_comment = modes: 1=vanilla, 2=fair, 3=stuttering, 5=suppressed, 6=prioritize-main-thread, 7=deprioritize-main-thread
bEnableProfiling = 0
bEnableMessages = 1
bUseOverrides = 1
iDefaultMode = 2
iDefaultSpin = 1000
iStutterLevel = 4
}
Heap = {
_comment = Heap replacement can produce MAJOR improvements in performance on Oblivion, only moderate improvements on Fallout
_comment = It crashes instantly on Fallout, is moderately buggy on Oblivion
_comment = Algorithms: 1=FastMM4 (requires external dll), 2=Microsoft (slow on XP), 3=SimpleHeap1, 5=ThreadHeap2
iHeapAlgorithm = 5
bEnableProfiling = 0
iHeapSize = 450
bEnableMessages = 0
}
Hashtables = {
_comment = This stuff is still new.
_comment = The dynamic resizing option may still be buggy.
bAllowDynamicResizing = 0
bUseOverrides = 0
bEnableProfiling = 0
bEnableMessages = 1
iHashtableResizeScale1 = 2
iHashtableResizeScale2 = 4
iHashtableResizeDelay = 20
}
OverrideList = {
CriticalSection = {
CallerAddress = 0x701748
comment = Renderer+0x180, recommendation=suppress (mode 5)
Mode = 5
}
CriticalSection = {
ObjectAddress = 0xB32B80
comment = MemoryHeap CS, recommendation=stutter (mode 3)
Mode = 3
Spin = 1500
}
CriticalSection = {
CallerAddress = 0x70172A
comment = Renderer+0x80, recommendation=???
}
CriticalSection = {
ObjectAddress = 0xB3FA00
comment = Unknown4, recommendation=???
}
}

Am I going insane or do I have the wrong file somehow?

Oh! I thought I had the latest version. The readme says I only need to delete the older .dll file from the plugins folder before installing the new one so I should be ok.

Funny thing: last night I exited and it did not crash at all. I hadn't changed any settings so I have no idea what went RIGHT. haha.

Thanks, Contra! Hopefully the new version will work better for me.