Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

To be completely honest and maybe simplify and clarify some things, I play a female character and I'm a guy, and I'll admit that it's because I know I'll be playing my character in third person, and I just prefer looking at a female figure more than a male figure. And yes I get mesmerized watching her run in a similar way to how I was once mesmerized watching Pamela Anderson run on Baywatch. Morality aside, it's simply what I want to do, and I should be allowed to do it, because it's not harming anyone. I don't run her around naked intentionally, very often. Other people might, but such would be a symptom of problems they may (or may not) have, not a cause. I did have to confront the strangeness of playing a character of the opposite sex when it came time to find a spouse. I, a guy, wouldn't marry a guy, and I want more of that nice female form in my game, so lesbianism works for me. Back when I was letting myself be influenced by the God-pushers of the world, this might have bothered me, but I've become liberty-minded. I think anyone should be allowed to do, eat, smoke, think, or drive anything they want, in any way they want, so long as physical harm isn't caused to another person or any other person's rights violated. Basically, what I'm getting at, is, regardless of the outcome of a discussion of whether something is a good idea or not, any action taken based on that discussion other than allowing people to continue doing whatever the thing is, whether the majority like it or not, is a violation of basic human liberty. Considering that, we may discuss whether a thing is right or wrong, but at the end of the day, the most a liberty-loving person can hope to accomplish is to arrive at a percentage of people for, against, and undecided, which is probably useless without action, which must not be taken. Edited by halfvulcan

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play most decent RPGs several times and varying gender, race, class/skill choices etc each time adds to the replay value of most games.

Also, and least importantly, I choose female avatars over male ones because it reminds me to play a role and not just be myself (and because I'm a completist, except for romance quests. I never do those as a female).

That'll do I guess. Great topic btw.

In games where my character has voice acting I always play male characters but on games where gender does not really matter... I play females as they are nicer for the eyes

I end up playing whichever gender has the better voice actor. Case in point: The Mass Effect series. The Male Shepard voice actor was terrible in the first game. I don't know if he got better, but I couldn't stand listening to his wooden delivery and stumbling. Either he was bad or his director was bad. It didn't matter. Male Shepard's was bad; thus I couldn't be Male Shepard.

w/out reading any replies.... I do it because I don't want to spent 80+ hours looking at a dude and hearing his grunts in battle...

plus the haggle bonus perk when dealing with buying/selling to npcs, most of em are dudes so you get the most out of it as a girl

I end up playing whichever gender has the better voice actor. Case in point: The Mass Effect series. The Male Shepard voice actor was terrible in the first game.

Also I took one look at the cover featuring the usual broad chinned unshaved hero cardboard and decided, mine would be a female Shepard.

I tend to play female characters because :

1. I'm a human, I am attracted to visuals (real or not) of the opposite gender. As simple as that, and I think this holds true for most of us.

2. I like overturning stereotypes. I find it fun to bash the crap out of people as a girl, and heal as a guy, etc.

3. I spent a good portion of my teen years as a person afraid of opinions, resulting in exclusively male characters in every game. Thus I have grown exceedingly tired of man ass.

There was no need to bash the OP for asking such a question, he may have been expecting a certain kind of answer but it's really quite interesting, knowing more about how others think.

But those people who somehow say it's strange or even wrong to play as the opposite sex should take time to open their minds. We are a diverse world.

It's silly to think you might be a sissy for playing a female character. Be more CONFIDENT. If anything, it makes you manlier.

What, do you mean you enjoy being in control of another man? Np, we all have our paths to take.

The game dev made guys and girls all the same in abilities and who they marry. The only difference in choosing male vs female is in the visuals and sounds. I really like girls. So if I'm going to spend long hours with a character, I prefer female versions. I also prefer seeing the main character lose to a girl if she's also a girl. Making a buff male character who then gets beat up by a girl is less fun than having my character being a petite Breton girl kicking ass and when she gets beat by a buff dude, I'm more accepting of that possibility.

Had the devs been more realistic in including a buff stat for males over females and even one for the size slider, I'd rethink my choice.

I tend to play female characters because :

1. I'm a human, I am attracted to visuals (real or not) of the opposite gender. As simple as that, and I think this holds true for most of us.

2. I like overturning stereotypes. I find it fun to bash the crap out of people as a girl, and heal as a guy, etc.

3. I spent a good portion of my teen years as a person afraid of opinions, resulting in exclusively male characters in every game. Thus I have grown exceedingly tired of man ass.

There was no need to bash the OP for asking such a question, he may have been expecting a certain kind of answer but it's really quite interesting, knowing more about how others think.

But those people who somehow say it's strange or even wrong to play as the opposite sex should take time to open their minds. We are a diverse world.

It's silly to think you might be a sissy for playing a female character. Be more CONFIDENT. If anything, it makes you manlier.

What, do you mean you enjoy being in control of another man? Np, we all have our paths to take.

Agreed.

I'd add too that maybe ti depends on how we're playing. If a gamer wants to create an avatar of themselves and try to imagine it's them in that world, then they do that. I tend to avoid creating avatars of myself and prefer forgetting myself altogether when playing. If I'm there at all, it's more like I'm a guardian angel helping the character along.

Also, don't forget the sound and not just the man ass in your face. I get tired of the male grunts during combat. Much prefer female grunting.

Had the devs been more realistic in including a buff stat for males over females and even one for the size slider, I'd rethink my choice.

Nope. If anything it would make things more challenging.

The more I think about it, the more I come to another conclusion. I'm simply tired of the usual action stereotypes. I grew up watching apelike action creatures single handedly erasing whole armies on screen. Chicks were only good for screams and to take refuge in well oiled muscled arms. I might just try to erase that kind of memory once and for all.

Edited by abaris

I, a male, will play female characters about 70% to 80% of the time as stated many times above me for sex appeal reasons mostly. But I do want to role play in a RPG so my character idea is what gets me to play males (ie I want to play a womanizing swashbuckler, a sweaty barbarian, or a snobby paladin) but Skyrim lack that kind of role playing, all my characters end up the same for the most part and with no real dialog options there not much role playing to be had outside of skill builds so gender is meaningless to me. Edited by Grand Architect