An ambitious endeavour for the love of the franchise

Graygunsniper

I get the feeling that you mistake my original post to do a full remake of Fallout which is something I would love to see from a professional company is not what I actually intend to do.

However NCRForever has the right idea a separate worldspace (actually several) designed at a smaller scale but linked together to give a feel for a huge world.

Each world section can be built and fine tuned individually before moving on to construct the next.

Additionally I want to introduce it to fallout 4 in a lore friendly way and I had some thoughts on in game canon that could, when investigated, eventually lead into the mod.

For example lets say the super mutants who attacked Diamond City which gave rise to the Minutemen, what if they were the last remains of the Masters army or something, and someone was researching that to try and find out where they came from, and that would be a quest line eventually leading to some memorypod instance as a sort of segway into the story.

I want to try using existing assets and characters as much as possible, but casting them in different rolls to tell a different story.

More thoughts on this later

For example lets say the super mutants who attacked Diamond City which gave rise to the Minutemen, what if they were the last remains of the Masters army or something, and someone was researching that to try and find out where they came from, and that would be a quest line eventually leading to some memorypod instance as a sort of segway into the story.

If it was the Master's army, then there would be no Diamond City left. A group of ancient 'prime' super mutants is not something to be messed with. They are much more intelligent than your run of the mill cannon fodder in the Commonwealth.

I guess, depending on how much you want to follow Fallout Tactics lore, the largest remaining group from the Master's army went out east under the leadership of Gammorin. As of around 2197 they are out in Jefferson City, Missouri trying to research a cure for super mutant sterility.

So basically you just have another 1,300 miles to cover and 91 years to do it in to reach Fallout 4.

I know why people want this. The same reason I want it as well, even if it wont be made. Its because recent fallouts are not reaching the standard the first fallouts created. New vegas is as close as it got, and even if it had writers that made a story quite well, it was lacking in the other things like graphics, animations, sounds, all the visual stuff, horrible engine. Now F4 has polished the graphics quality (although they could've done better) but took a step backwards with the writing quality...the story is worse than F3, and the lore....they just murdered it, plot holes everywhere, lore holes if that is a thing.

So, easier way to bring F1 to F4 instead of creating F1 from start would be to install mods replacing the bad stuff that is breaking the lore. There are too many to count but what hasn't been done yet are things like:

-remodeling super mutants. they are tiny, they need more bulking, they need a level list change (they look silly with pipe weapons...i mean, their hands are too big for small guns)

-making ghouls more slow, brittle and zombie like (not reskinned humans. there has to be chunks of their flesh off, F3 did quite a good job to try to mimic this but needs more)

-bringing back old guns as standalones, and replacers if the new ones are ugly af (assault rifle). I've seen some guns from previous fallouts already in the nexus but not all of them.

-an atmospheric overhaul, getting rid of the majority of the trees and vegetation, and retexture some floors to give it a more "desert" look like new vegas. I know there is "sandy boston" mod but it just is too bright and replaces everything (and i mean everything, even roads and rocks), making everything look beige. the color pallette is off there as well. F1 goes through dark browns and greys with little black and other colors.

-The above brings a new problem I've never seen adressed in any mod that changes rocks, deletes trees or leaves: the LODs...at a distance, trees, rocks, and all things look vanilla, and when getting close it changes. Seeing a bunch of rocks go from one color to another when walking around hurts the eyes really bad, and breaks the game immersion like if a bug was happening constantly.

-F4 needs way more rust...way more. Cheers to that extreme rust mod for the cars. we need more like that.

-more destruction...the damn buildings are in one piece...nuclear bombs fell and only thing that happened was the paint got peeled off...(here everyone will say "boston wasnt hit directly so it makes sense"...the damn bomb at the start of the game told me otherwise, and Fallout lore itself told me otherwise too, but i'll let you believe what you want, still the atmosphere change destroyed buildings vs pristine buildings would bring would be massive.)

anything else that can be thought

Edited by garompaestomper

The engine simply isn't set up for the random encounters Fallout 1 required. It's not impossible to to make a bunch of interconnected cells (and Fallout's cells were small) but without an overworld map it would be impossible to get a feeling of traveling long distances and facing danger on the road. Plus you'd need rip out the modern (dumbed down) perk system in exchange for the original SPECIAL system with perks every three levels and skill checks out the wahzoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Please, please at least open the Creation Kit before writing your grand opus. If you had you would see that the Creation Kit no longer has the ability to make skills and conversation trees bigger than four options. And a Fallout 1 with the RPG mechanics of Fallout 4 is a Fallout I don't want to play.ÃÂ

I've actually been thinking about this for quite some time and I may have an idea for what to do about it, but only if I can find a way for each conversation point in the project to proceed with a minimum of at least two button presses.

Allow me to explain, theorize for a moment that when you encountered an NPC, the game displayed the conversation options as normal, but instead of lines the first set would be categories each leading to its own set of three actual lines and a back button for a total of twelve possible options.

Additionally I wanted to find a way to include the skill checks in some way to the conversation tree, where in some of those options would require a charisma check, others could be influenced by a strength check, or an agility check for instance. Even a perk check too, where lets say having a level one Big Gun wouldn't do anything, but a level three Big Gun may replace an option with a different result in the same conversation. In order to differentiate between what checks would be required for which option I'd need only include a caption like [Charisma] or [sneak] Before each skill or perk check.

Â

Â

If it was the Master's army, then there would be no Diamond City left. A group of ancient 'prime' super mutants is not something to be messed with. They are much more intelligent than your run of the mill cannon fodder in the Commonwealth.

Â

I guess, depending on how much you want to follow Fallout Tactics lore, the largest remaining group from the Master's army went out east under the leadership of Gammorin. As of around 2197 they are out in Jefferson City, Missouri trying to research a cure for super mutant sterility.Â

Â

So basically you just have another 1,300 miles to cover and 91 years to do it in to reach Fallout 4.

Let's not forget that in fallout 4's cannon The Battle of Diamond City happened in 2180 And according to cannon the story of fallout concluded in 2161, so by a timeframe of 19 years to travel a distance of approximately short of 3000 miles from Los Angeles to Boston give or take seems an appropriate estimation in my opinion.

But in the words of the big lebowsky, "that's like, my opinion man."

More thoughts to follow, Toodles for now...

Edited by Graygunsniper