Can't get into Skyrim... my reasons why.

Twinturbo4486

I do nothing but lurk anywhere I go and only post if I really feel the urge to, and OP made me feel that urge--

I'm sorry, but that mentality that Bethesda is giving the shaft to the PC games has got to stop. I'm so sick of reading it. I seem to recall reading that Morrowind was essentially their last chance, and it turns out it sold enough to warrant a continuation of the series. To me, that makes it seem like the PC games were the ones giving Bethesda the shaft.

That is all.

A lot of disappointment can be put down to expectations, I was hugely disappointed with Oblivion, a large part of that was because I was expecting something similar to Morrowind and instead I got Grand Theft Horse. This time around I was expecting more garbage with huge modding potential but I've been nicely surprised by a game that is very playable without mods.

I have to agree with this. That is the ' expectations ' part. Since the DA2 debacle, I have learned not to really get excited about new games anymore and just go with it. I will admit that I was a bit disappointed with this game, but that was on the character creation part which is always an important part of any game I play. That being said, I did not expect this huge environment in this game, I am still amazed. In this instance, a big surprise and I am totally enjoying it as many others are. As for Morrowind, I have not played it so I can't reference to it, but to my surprise, I do have it, still sealed in it's wrapper, never been installed. I don't even remember getting it. So I may install it on my XP system and give it a try so I can see what everyone is talking about. I did enjoy Oblivion, although the story was linear (in my opinion) and in time, after I added some mods, it became my favorite...still is to some extent.

It is the 'un-expected ' surprises regarding expectations that are best. I did not enjoy The Witcher...very boring to me and I never did finish it. After DA2...Witcher 2 came out. After the let down of DA2 I decided to give W2 a try. I bought it about six weeks or so after it was released. I was very surprised at this game. No, you could not create your character, you are stuck with Geralt and that's it, much to the disappointment of the female players out there. Yes, the story was about a linear as you could get. But..it sucked me right in. It was a visually beautiful game, good music, good voice overs....loved it.

But I will never get excited about the release of any new games anymore, I will just wait and see what happens. I think after some good mods appear for Skyrin, new bodies for one, it will certainly enhance this game. I still have not started the story line, I'm too busy exploring. Now that is a good game in my opinion. One that I can't get lost in.

While skyrim has many flaws...

I really like the perk system, it gives actual insentive to leveling up skills as opposed to `+2% damage each level` with a funny little trick every 50 levels or so.

I will still stick to the one thing that just doesn't do it for me, and that is a lack of depth. It may still be a fun game to play for some, but for me an RPG has to have depth and that's something Skyrim lacks IMO and im sticking to that. I'm not talking about story depth as I really didn't get that far into it to tell. But from the quests I did they seemed somewhat simple, and again I'm not saying they all are as I probably didn't get to the best ones. But I need depth in more than just story and world detail and that's my personal feelings of why I couldn't get into it.

I find this rather odd. You say that you haven't got too far into the game to judge the main quest but you declare that you're giving up on the game because it has no depth?

I think that you may have to consider quests differently whether these are miscellaneous quests or story quests. Miscellaneous quests are simple quests with one objective. I think they are in the game to make it more immersive because due to the sheer number of these quests you will always find things to do.

Now considering non-miscellaneous quests I can't see how these quests are not as good as quests in Oblivion (and in some cases probably better IMO). I won't post spoilers but I've appreciated the fact that some quests can be played differently by allowing you to take sides or that you can take shortcuts at times. I still need to finish the game to have a definitive opinion on the main quest but so far the game more than lives up to Oblivion.

Even semi linear games that are supposed to be more story driven like Dragon Age Origins don't necessarily have better quests. Most of the time it's fetch something, deliver an item, rescue an NPC or kill an NPC. More complex quests are not that common in CRPGs (especially quests that allow you different ways to complete them).

Quite frankly, I'm willing to acknowledge that the game may not be the deepest game ever but there are many things that contribute to making it an interesting and immersive experience. I think it compares rather favourably to Fallout 3 (I would rate Fallout New Vegas much higher myself). The simple fact that NPCs will often comment on what your character is wearing or some things that the character may have done is rather refreshing. It would be nice to see even more reactivity and interaction but there is definitely a strong basis for that.

You say that you want more than "just story and world detail" -since by saying that you seem to be hinting that Skyrim has both I'd like to know what is missing according to you.

I'd would like to know (in your opinion) which CRPG has more depth than Skyrim because that would help understanding your point and what you mean by depth (when you make it clear that it's not about the story or the world).