Can't get into Skyrim... my reasons why.

Twinturbo4486

My biggest problems with Skyrim: the lack of a second ring (WHY!?), and the severely hindered enchanting system. Other than that, I love it based on it's own merits apart from the previous games. Oblivion was great after modding. Key word there is 'after'. Before that... it was almost unbearable. Morrowind was great to, and I loved it, but it wasn't accessible to most people. Games should be fun, that is why they are called games after all, and when most that try to get into it just can't grasp the systems involved in your characters it just isn't fun anymore. Oblivion was an eyesore as well as horribly voice acted and buggy as a caffeine filled ferret. Skyrim is a much less buggy experience, at least for me, it's a lot more pleasant to look at, and it's fairly easy to immerse yourself in the world. That is an all around win for me, no matter how simplified the stat-wise stuff has become.

And finally, you OP and a few other here seem to be being elitist, which a lot of PC gamers seem to be. That could be a big reason that people are switching over to console gaming.

dude you can't *censored* about something just because it doesn't fit into your elitist idea of a game. Games should be accessible to everyone, not to the self proclaimed chosen few. Besides they didn't really simplify the armour, they streamlined it. All thats been merged are the greaves and the chest.

there is a plot hole in your argumentation, it s not about elitism its about what you are expecting from a game genre. Morrowing and daggerfall where pure rpg with an adventure aspect aka first persone view. The problem here is that bethesda changed the ederscroll series and made it an adventure game with some rpg elements.

It s like comparing f1 2011 with need for speed. It s just OP was expecting an rpg and he s got an adventure game.

A lot of disappointment can be put down to expectations, I was hugely disappointed with Oblivion, a large part of that was because I was expecting something similar to Morrowind and instead I got Grand Theft Horse. This time around I was expecting more garbage with huge modding potential but I've been nicely surprised by a game that is very playable without mods.

the word "elitist" is used far to easily nowadays.

Theres nothing elitist about someone, who prefers to play on a PC rather than Consoles.

Lets look at both Systems Pros and Contras:

PC:

Pro - Performance (for a price of course), upgradeable, versatile (can be expanded with cards, slots etc.), customizable (modding for example) and a few more....(i am a bit lazy)

Contra - expensive (compared to a 200 Dollar Console for example), complicated, more prone to errors and bugs (because of different combinations of hardware) and a few more

Console:

Pro - dedicated to gaming, easy to use, quick play (no installation this and that...normally), stable...and again a few more

Contra - strongly regulated (Licensing, rules etc.), pretty weak performance compared to todays standards (dont blame me...they are 5 years old), not much customization possible and yes a few more

See...its not "this good this bad" its where your gaming interests are. If you want customization or top notch graphics and you have the money you may want to look at PCs, if you just wanna play and have fun than theres nothing wrong with Consoles.

Please try and keep emotions under control. Just because somebody says he prefers PC and he wishes for games who would take more advantage of PCs features than that doesnt mean he is insulting "your" beloved Console. This goes of course the other way around.

By the way, a Playstation 3 or XBox are not given for free. I doubt that they are for "poor" people.

Edited by Arcadiast

I have a lot of sympathy for the OPs position, while the game is fun it lacks any kind of depth. They have improved the writing and dialogue from TES 4, not that they could have made it any worse. There are also some choices now where Oblivion had none once you'd hit "Done" on the character generator. It's a shame that they've gone backwards in other areas, the levelling system, those silly stones, the removal of yet more skills, no spell making and ridiculously short quest lines. Given the choice between Oblivion and Skyrim I'd take Skyrim, Oblivion did have the better levelling system and longer quests but the whole thing felt bland and vacuous. That said I'd take Morrowind over both of them.

So basically you're saying that the levelling system was better in Oblivion? You mean with mods right because I've rarely played a game that was as bad as unmodded Oblivion in that respect.

Seriously, keeping track of major skills for levels and at the same time making sure to get the +5 bonus for three stats was not my idea of a good levelling system and certainly not my idea of having fun. If anything it kept forcing players to use skills that would get the right stat bonuses instead of simply playing the game.

How many Oblivion players have gone out of their way to get a +5 in Endurance when levelling up in order to max out this stat first and not lose some precious hitpoints?

I agree that Skyrim is definitely an improvement when it comes to writing and dialogue and I hope this will keep getting better. As it is now it's probably on par with Fallout 3 and that means there is still room for improvement but it's definitely a step in the right direction. I for one could live with the nonsensical levelling system in Oblivion but the speech wheel and lack of decent dialogue was something I could never really get used to.

I do agree however that spell making is something that Skyrim could certainly have benefited from.

Another thing is the reduced armor slots. Why do this? The only thing I can think of is to make it easier for the "Average Dumbass".

I remember reading that one of the reasons they did this was because it stresses performance less, which sounds like a legitimate reason to me because it really does cut down pretty heavily on the number of variables the game needs to keep track of.

I consider myself a PC enthusiast and I've been enjoying Skyrim thoroughly despite its flaws. I don't agree with your argument that it lacks depth. In Morrowind and Oblivion you kind of just did whatever, and eventually you became a god. With Skyrim, you need to choose carefully what you want your character to be good at. I've put a lot more thought into my character's progression in Skyrim than I ever did in Oblivion. Besides that, I don't consider depth to come solely from filling out your character's spreadsheet and building the perfect set of armor and weapons/spells. That alone is pointless if the game world isn't interesting enough to support it. Skyrim delivers in this regard, which you yourself admitted.

I guess I'm not a really picky gamer. Besides the greyness of the scenery and a couple of minor issues, that have been dealt with by downloading a couple of mods, I'm happy with Skyrim.

I really don't understand what a lot of people are complaining about. I think the game is very customizable. I'm under the impression that some people haven't played enough really bad games to appreciate all that Skyrim and ES in general has to offer to gamers.

I've played other games, a lot of them, that are total crap in comparison. So, it's not exactly the way you want it. Go ahead and *censored* and moan about it. But then go and try playing other games that are out and see if you can find anything that suits your needs exactly the way you want. I don't think you're going to find it.

The makers of the game have a lot of people to take into consideration when making this game. As far as "dumbing down" the game. I am really tired of hearing some gamers go on about how they finished the game in three days, in hard mode, without ever teleporting with the map, using cheats or allowing themselves to die and then reload from a saved game. Then they complain about how it's too easy for them.

Then maybe they're playing the wrong genre game or something or they need to lay off the adrenaline drinks. But I for one am glad that the game isn't so hard and complicated that it becomes unenjoyable for me to play.

Edited by Pineapplerum

Thanks for all the replies! That is one thing I like about this forum is the overall maturity of people here even when I'm on a rant lol. And you guys made some good counter-arguments and complaints of your own. As you can see by my posts I don't post much lol, but I do read a lot through here, especially a long time without an account.

Sorry about being incorrect about the skill point system. I really didn't browse forums much during oblivion, I was just basing my opinion of people liking it from RL, as well as online friends who played it. So I do admit I was probably wrong about most people liking it. Although a lot did, as all my friends and myself thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. All of the options and skills we had to put points in was just amazing.... but overall I guess a lot of people weren't happy and they can't please everyone.

I will still stick to the one thing that just doesn't do it for me, and that is a lack of depth. It may still be a fun game to play for some, but for me an RPG has to have depth and that's something Skyrim lacks IMO and im sticking to that. I'm not talking about story depth as I really didn't get that far into it to tell. But from the quests I did they seemed somewhat simple, and again I'm not saying they all are as I probably didn't get to the best ones. But I need depth in more than just story and world detail and that's my personal feelings of why I couldn't get into it.

Thanks for all your replies, I enjoyed reading all of the counter-arguments and other people's troubles like my own. I read all of them.

Edited by Twinturbo4486

To be frank, it was never the quests or the system that got me involved with Skyrim. It's the world that draws you in. It streamlined a lot of things yes, but expanded a lot of others. Just well, just dont fast travel. You'll see it eventually, takes a while but if you are patient, you'll see how much work got put into this game.

I have a rather high standard for games too, only picking a select few. However, I compare Skyrim with a modded Oblivion/Morrowind, vanilla is never the best way to play for there will so be so many options available for so many people's tastes. Whether they want HD graphics, to a new combat system, to dragon riding, or showing off nude men/women. Mods make the ES series long lasting and customisable for everyone's preferences, and if you can't find a mod that is perfect for you, you can do it yourself.

Skyrim incorporated a lot of ideas from modded Oblivion/Morrowing. Not all, but they are one studio compared to tons of modders. Modders make PC great, but it takes a great developer to understand this, Bethesda has been such a developer so far... as long as they freakin release the construction set soon...

Right now, that IS my only real complaint that I'm not very happy with. Either then that, the developers have done a rather decent job in vanilla which I do applaud for them for.

A lot of people who are complaining about attributes don't seem to understand human potential. You can't get smarter from reading a book, you have base IQ and that never changes. Yes you can learn things you can increase your "knowledge" but you can't become smarter by reading. Same goes for anything. You can increase your physical endurance, your stamina allowing you to run further, but you can't go beyond your physical limitations. You can only build on what you have. Average person will never be an Olympic athlete.

I like to look at my character in Skyrim as having reached his peak. He's the best he can be, but through training skills he can become more deadly. So he can hone his swords blade to make it the most deadly it can be, he can learn to use that weapon efficiently by attacking weak points and such. Increasing the chance with his stamina and performing power attacks. He doesn't get any stronger because he's already in his peak condition. He's used to hacking away with a sword so he doesn't gain any benefit from it. Just like working out, unless you do things to change your routine, you're not going to gain any new muscle mass(Keep in mind that muscle mass doesn't mean added strength. Body builders are twice as big as power lifters yet can't lift the same amount of weight).

In the end the system in Skyrim might be gimped for a lot of fans of previous games, but it makes more sense. It's more story driven then a RPG grind fest. If you train you'll be effective against most enemies, you will find them easier to deal with over time. Still run into enemies that are superior and will make you fight for your life. Just like you would in reality. Yes this game isn't real and for those of you that prefer a completely fantasy experience, Skyrim isn't doing it for you. Doesn't mean you need to make Thread after thread after thread about why the game doesn't do it for you and you want people to think like you. This is an opinion thread, and like anything of this sort should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by SHIROryuu