⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

UI Overhaul Idea Bank

JuliusM

Personally I think this is the best example/suggestion I have seen so far (not made by me, found in earlier posted threads):

Also, please make the world map and local map separate. I can live with the few seconds extra time it takes to zoom out when I want the world map, but the same timedelay of zooming out to the world map when you just want to see the local map? No thank you.

I agree! I pretty much love that mock-up. Even so, my philosophy is that anything can be improved, so until one of these is actually going to be coded, we might as well continue optimizing.

I've included several ideas from this graphic into my summary, and I would definitely like to work with Wakeupbrandon on some final shots to give the coders. The aesthetic he created is pretty unbeatable.

In particular, I have a pretty clear image of what I think the Skills interface should look like. I think I've incorporated all the important aspects while retaining the constellations and general feel of the page. It's drawn in English in the skills section. If I missed anything please let me know.

FYI: I've added several updates to the OP summary. Check em out!

Edited by JuliusM

Just wanted to mention that I've worked my way through the largest UI discussion threads and learned a lot along the way. For one, I'm realizing how hard it is to please everyone (or even a significant proportion). Preferences such as list or grid inventory views divide the player community quite a bit. That said, there are many things that are generally agreed upon and hopefully some of the biggest controversies can still be incorporated as options.

On another note, not sure why I'm getting almost no activity on here. These other threads seem to get loads of attention, but I seem to be doing something wrong... Oh well, I'll keep puttering on my list of ideas.

Here goes one last attempt to get feedback and activity on this thread. Not sure what I'm doing wrong that I get no love :ohdear:

I've added more stuff to my list which I think covers all the bases now. The Inventory and Magic menus require the most analysis, and Wakeupbrandon's thread was doing a good job of that. Honestly I can't make up my mind on some of the stuff, so some well developed suggestions would be welcome.

If nothing comes of this, perhaps I'll try again on the Bethsoft forums...

[EDIT] Maybe it's my thread title. I just read it again and it's stupid! Too bad I can't change it...

Edited by JuliusM

OMG! A reply! Thanks :thumbsup:

Yeah, sorry about that. I noticed sometimes that after going through pages and pages of posts I would start to just read and stop taking notes... I went over your OP again and added a couple of things (also gave credit on some particular ideas). I had seen your thread before though. I even linked to it in my sources post.

Regarding the HMS bars on the skill interface, they are useful when leveling up, but perhaps could be hidden at all other times. My skill interface suggestion is very similar to yours, but includes a right column with all obtained perks.

Edited by JuliusM

..I see some real good idea's here! I can't believe they released the game with such a half-assed console ui on the PC! That last mock up picture looked pretty damn good BTW. Not everyone is right handed nor uses that WASD key bind crap. One of my biggest gripes is not being able to bind certain keys. Unless I'm missing something I haven't been able to bind my keyboard's number pad keys to anything without 3rd party software. Luckily enough I have enough AutoHotKey knowledge to create a work around script to allow me to bind the default W,A,S,D to number pad keys 5,4,2,6 for starters.

The mod in progress posted by the second poster seems like the most realistic fix for now http://www.image-share.eu/share/336850-TESV2011-1.jpeg

Who is doing that one? I'm very curious about it but I haven't seen anything about it anywhere else.

The other mockup, the now famous one, would be freaking amazing, but holy crap that would take some serious work. That makes the oblivion ui mods seem like a cakewalk. I hope someone does it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'd be delighted if I could know which whats I have selected/equipped. It's kinda hard to blast a baddie with an ice bolt if you're transmuting lead to gold again and again.... Bad enough you click the right mouse button to use your left hand without forgetting what's actually IN your left hand.

A timer display for effect duration wouldn't go amiss either...

agree with the above, and adding some timers to the spells wouldn't hurt as well. In oblivion you had some icons in the upper right corner to see how long your spells remained active before you needed to cast them again. In Skyrim you have no idea how much longer your invisibility spell is going to last, for example.