Skyrim isn't dumbed down. Purists are.

Goliath978

There's nothing immersive about Skyrim. How can I be immersed in a game where the world doesn't react to what I do? I could kill Ulric, and the people around town still talk about what he should do next, or I could steal from a random NPC and then kill him, only to have this dead NPC somehow write up a contract to send hired thugs after me. That's the opposite of immersion, when the game calls attention to itself as a game, rather than as a living, breathing world.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading these forums is stepping in enough multiplayer stuff for me that I don't need all the back-stabbing and in-fight in a game I use primarily for entertainment. Although, all the argueing in this thread has been quite entertaining on its own.

I love Skyrim, I do, but if you can't see how it is dumbed down, in so many ways, well... you're just not going to.

In Skyrim, I can kill a Alduin (a freaking WORLD-ENDING DRAGON) and feel like it really isn't a big deal. Few NPC's seem to care anyway.

In Morrowind, just stepping through the Ghost Gate was insane. Like, really? You want me to go there? THERE? The atmosphere created by the story and NPC's was huge in Morrowind. It just isn't here in Skyrim. Not for me, anyway.

An Ascended Sleeper could make me jump. Dragons, while of course they are fun to fight, do not ever, instill any fear, not even a little.

Dungeons, Arena through Morrowind, were foreboding. In Skyrim, they welcome you.

On Magic; Wow. Severely lacking, as many of you have said. I can only think they did this to make shouts seem... cooler?. I'm pretty sure anyone's Morrowind mage could rip through the Dragonborn like he was Kleenex, Nerevarine or not.

Edited by uruku7

An Ascended Sleeper could make me jump. Dragons, while of course they are fun to fight, do not ever, instill any fear, not even a little.

To follow up on this, I've never really felt anything about the dragons beyond annoyance. Of course, that's probably because during the Whiterun section, I sat back and let the guards handle the dragon, and they offed it no problem, at which point, I found myself asking, "What exactly is the point of my involvement?"

Tamriel has seen worse.

Yeah, like me. :thumbsup:

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler

I love Skyrim, I do, but if you can't see how it is dumbed down, in so many ways, well... you're just not going to.

In Skyrim, I can kill a Alduin (a freaking WORLD-ENDING DRAGON) and feel like it really isn't a big deal. Few NPC's seem to care anyway.

In Morrowind, just stepping through the Ghost Gate was insane. Like, really? You want me to go there? THERE? The atmosphere created by the story and NPC's was huge in Morrowind. It just isn't here in Skyrim. Not for me, anyway.

Dungeons, Arena through Morrowind, were foreboding. In Skyrim, they welcome you.

On Magic; Wow. Severely lacking, as many of you have said. I can only think they did this to make shouts seem... cooler?. I'm pretty sure anyone's Morrowind mage could rip through the Dragonborn like he was Kleenex, Nerevarine or not.

I agree about the dungeons. Daggerfall gave me nightmares. It was a combination of the darkness and sound effects that presented a general feeling of foreboding or doom. With a few realism mods I was able to come close to that feeling in Oblivion.

"What exactly is the point of my involvement?" I felt similar. I mean, come on, it is just Dragons. Tamriel has seen worse.

Actually, my line of logic was more like this:

2. The town guards killed a dragon without suffering any casualties.
  3. Even if this death isn't permanent, it seems to remain dead (though, to be fair, the player does steal the dragon's soul, so no saying how long it'd remain dead if the soul hadn't been consumed).
  4. If a dragon is dead, but can return to life, then surely the fastest way to fix this is to remove its wings and claws, and to apply a muzzle to the dragon, so even if it were to awaken, it wouldn't be able to cause harm.
  5. A harmless dragon is an excellent source of resources, ranging from meat to skins to bones
  6. Meanwhile, if a group of town guards can defeat a dragon, then surely methods will be developed to deal with dragons with increasing efficiency.
  7. Given time (and no nonsensical plot railroading), dragons would become no more inconvenient than rain.

I think the reason the Dragon-born is so important isn't neccessarily because he's a dab hand with thu'um or swords. Its because he or she is a agent of change, and also because a Dragon isn't fully destroyed unless you absorb its soul.....like a certain Lizard-Baby.